LST or top?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jonnybgood, Mar 25, 2011.

1. What would you prefer for a first time grower?..... Im not in a huge box but i have 4 plants in veg right now...... Im hoping to get 2 females.... Im using cfls

So just say i get 2 females what would be the best yeild

2. Hi Jonny,
    I use HPS at the moment and normally get around an ounce to an ounce and a half per plant (28 to 50g) and would count anything around the 28g mark per plant as a good result for cfl,s but the plant type will make a difference to yeild some grow more bud than others some grow up to 4 meters tall (try fitting that in a small 2m bud room lol) so plant selection is also a factor just my opinnion I am not an expert but some on here are (nodding at rumple) hope that helps gl bud :)

tazman

3. #3 frank drebin, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2011
    If its yield your targeting mostly id say lst mate, but for an easier grow id say top. You just make one cut and let the plant do the rest , with lst you have to kinda keep on top of it and train it as it grows. Im not saying lst is difficult to pull off or anything though.

I did a 2 plant grow my 1st time, one i topped and one i lst'd the other. The toppped plant i got just under 1 an a half oz and was indica, with the lst'd plant which was sativa i got just under 2 and a half oz.

However the lst'd one was in an 18 litre pot, as oppossed to the topped one in a 8 litre pot, and the lst'd one was vegged for a little longer too {5 days more}.
    So theres two factors right away to take into consideration, final pot size and veg time.

So it all depends really mate.
    How much headroom do you have to play with in your box ?
    What size of pots were you thinking of finishing in ?

I think you can top just about any strain, same with lst.
    What strains have you got in veg ?

I have two plants which i topped recently and are nearing the end of thier 3rd week in veg, going 12/12 on sunday. I decided to top this grow because i know in the next few weeks im quite busy with differnet shit goin on, and i wouldnt be able to keep a good eye on them if they were lst'd.

Again, i hope im not making lst sound like its a big pain in the ass job or anything. I just felt like the right move to go with topping them.

4. well its bag seeds for my first time i didnt want to pay 50 bucks for beans on my first grow but i have 3 very good looking indica strains and i think one might be a sativa i was gonna start flowering at about 1.5 feet i only have about 45 inches in head room i can post pics if that helps.... but from the sound of it i will probably go with the top method

5. Top and LST...

6. Like what Toasty said Top so then you can get a 4 way LST going. you can look at my grow if you need a visual

7. You don't have to choose one of the 2, you can do both.
    First top, as many times as your space and time allow, then LST.