LST or scrog?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Sacha_dune, Mar 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. just wanting to find out the difference...advantages of one way over the other? Thanks

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  2. both work the same, depends on our grow area, lots of area Scrog single plant LST imo. It's all up to you, the pretty much do the same thing.

3. Scrogging is generally a better method in the long run, although the disadvantage is that once you put the screen on, you cannot easily move the plants around or remove them from the room for any reason.

It is the main reason why I haven't done any scrogging, not being able to pull my buckets out of the room is a non starter for me.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I prefer scrog being that it's just one big net. When you do lst it's a bunch of strings tied every which way. Or you could do a bit of both! It's all a matter of opinion, and what you have going on though

Flush I did, I flushdid

5. It comes down to number of plants. LST works well for small grows of 1-4 plants and small sq footage. With LST you could be frequently bending and shaping the stems and rotating the pots to make sure everything gets an equal amount of light. This part I found to be enjoyable - using FIM, LST, and super cropping to manipulate growth. But it would become time consuming if you had to individually manicure 12 plants.

SCROG is most likely going to be less maintenance for larger sq footage and more powerful lights. Once you get the stems evenly distributed in the screen there isn't much to do other than trim excess foliage and keep the canopy even. It doesn't make sense to me to set up the screen for one or two plants.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Basically you're trying to achieve the same goal and that's spreading out the plant(s) to fill the area. ScrOG requires you to do more work at the start and less work throughout the grow. LST requires less work at the start but more throughout the grow

I prefer ScrOG myself as once you have made the screen you can reuse it so there isn't much maintenance. LST, although serves a purpose, is just ongoing work and if you have many plants and a big tent it's very labour intensive

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Thanks everybody think l LST might work better for me being a beginner and only doing 2 plants....and if I need to move them I can x

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lst be a lot easier for ya

• Like Like x 1
  9. SCROG is LST using a suspended screen instead of string from the bottom. I think the scrog does a better job of making an even canopy so it may be the superior method in the end.

Just like a few others have said I use string LST instead because I like moving the plants around and especially with bucket DWC I need that open movement for water changes unless I add drain valves and complicate things further. I like pulling the plant out of the tent and putting it on a chair to trim for lollipopping so I'm not rolling on my belly and giving myself a neck ache.

I have two friends growing using scrogs and killing it though. Their canopies are always super even like I could almost never attain with just string on the rim of the pot.

• Like Like x 2
  10. IMAG0572.jpg IMAG0526.jpg easier to work without a fucking net in your way

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

11. I've thought about ghetto engineering a SCROG net system for 5 gallon buckets, but all the ways i've thought of doing it all attach to the bucket itself, which doesn't work for me as I switch buckets when I change nutes out.

I'm still trying to think of a clean, durable, and effective way of attaching a single plant scrog screen to a 5 gallon bucket net cup lid, but every way I come up with is always pretty ghetto, consisting of a bunch of hole saw holes and pvc cement, which I'd like to avoid.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Once you build the screen the scrog may even be less work in pure training. It takes a while to perfect the small techniques in the scrog method like moving tops around the grid to make space for new ones to come up and when and how to remove growth from under the screen.

It's hard to get in there with just string and fight the plant. It fights back every day and tries to do it's own thing. If you use the sides of the tent so you can tie it really wide then you can't move it just like the scrog so you're really limited to the width of your bucket or smart pot. You can't get them that wide. The smart pots have a hard time exerting enough pressure on the branches to train super effectively.

My buddies plants put so much pressure on the scrog they will grab it and pull their net pots out of the res.

13. I agree and that plant does look beautiful but honestly that canopy is not as even as it gets in a scrog. That's why that stupid net does have a yield advantage IMO. I don't want to deal with one either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I'll honestly be fine taking a marginal hit in yield to not have to deal with a singular huge net with multiple plants entwined in it. That sounds like an absolute nightmare for my setup and would be a constant headache.

• Like Like x 2
  15. I'm not really worried about it all being the same size on the canopy. Almost impossible with this reveg brother but dagger has responded very well inside .[​IMG]

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

16. Buy a 4' piece of angle aluminum, 2". Cut it into 2) 2' long pieces. Glue and through bolt it to the top of the bucket so it has 2ft long rails sticking out. Make a square screen frame that mounts to those 4 points of contact. When you move the bucket lid to change water the screen moves too. You can still rotate plants but only in 90degree increments.

It would attach perfectly to these bucket lids that I use.
    HTGSupply - 6" RhizoCore Basket Bucket Lid
    [​IMG]

17. I use the same lids, that may work out for my setup. I've only got 2 feet of depth, but 4 feet of width. I may have to cut them a bit short but it should work!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  18. I may look into doing that next run. This run I'm just drilling 10 holes on the top of the lid towards the edge, all around the circumference, and then putting in hooks to LST from. That should give me enough control to bend her into shape.

• Like Like x 1