LST and Fabric Planters

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by OldUR, Aug 30, 2020.

1. #1 OldUR, Aug 30, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    Just dipping my toes into the LST waters. Watched and read a lot before starting. One thing I noticed was that when fastening to the sides of a fabric planter they would collapse in when pulled tight. My solution was to take a piece of 1/8” stainless rod and bend it into a loop and sew it into the top seam. Worked great. Nice rigid edge that stays in place when attaching wire ties. Anyone else doing something similar?
    upload_2020-8-30_17-17-12.jpeg
    upload_2020-8-30_17-17-31.jpeg
    upload_2020-8-30_17-17-57.jpeg
    upload_2020-8-30_17-18-29.jpeg
    upload_2020-8-30_17-19-0.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Here’s one in use. This was my first attempt. Stitching was done a little different, but same end result.
    upload_2020-8-30_18-1-47.jpeg

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Smart idea!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. This is sick, I used large safety pins through the sidewalls of my pots, allowed me to anchor the ties below the soil line and keep the shape a little better, but I dig this idea, might have to try it

• Like Like x 2
  5. Get a patent on that right now, phone a lawyer for details

once you got the paperwork

phone to make a deal with the clothe guys IMO

good luck

you claim copyright by the date of this thread

• Like Like x 3
  6. Yo I wonder if you could sew that into a strip of Velcro to basically make a removable frame for the pot.

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. We’ve used velcro with fabric pots in the past - the velcro sticks to the fabric pot most excellent.

j

• Like Like x 2
  8. @OldUR - not sure if youre handy with a sewing machine or not but we used to make our own 100 and 200 gallon fabric pots for outdoor use. Folding the top over 2” and sewing a length or rope into that top fold allows you to cinch it up and stabilizes the top so much better than store-bought loose floppy sides.

j

• Like Like x 2
  9. Grommets are functional. Plus it's all I could come up with. I'm an old.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Attached Files:

11. indeed I'm older and just seen the price of dying (funeral exp. lawyers cost)

12. This run I've started using wood/bamboo skewers. Walmart has them like $1 for a hundred pack. And also paper clips clipped on the edges of pots to tie shit to. I use the skewers to do the same thing your ring does, stiffens the sides a bit. Used to air pots here, running fabric pots too this time.

• Like Like x 1
  13. #13 Vee, Aug 31, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I still use clothes pins and fish line for mine ..lol

• Like Like x 2
  14. Binder clips, clothes pins, green wire, pipe cleaners, probably not green tape indoors but hey could try

• Like Like x 1