lowering the lighting. (400w hps)

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by weed heed, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Could ayone tell me when 2 start lowering the lighting as im not sure when 2 do this .would really appreciate the help.they have been flowering for about 2 -3 weeks now.:smoking:

Attached Files:

2. what do you mean by lowering the lighting? I've never heard this before

3. I have heard that by lowering the lighting it gets more light 2 the buds at the bottom of the plants and was wondering when too lower them or is this just a load of rubbish,if so i would like 2 no if i just keep the lighting at the same distance they all ready are.(1meter away)?:bongin:

Attached Files:

4. i know you can add more lighting, sucj as cfl's, hanging below the plants to get more light to to the lower part of the plant, but never heard anything about lowering the main light, surely its as low as it can be, without running too high temps or burning the top, already?

5. Its just that i saw another thread a while ago and they were talking about how they lowered the lights although they didnt say when they lowered them,they said they had lowered them too 1ft above the top of the plant.confusion!!!!!!!!!!! lol:smoking:

Attached Files:

6. you should always have your lights as close as you can get them w/o causing any harm to the plants. with a 400 watter, you should be able to get pretty close. if it's vented, even closer. 2+ feet (1 meter) to me, is too far away.

7. Well thanks finaly some body knows what im talking about lol.thanks for the advice and im sure it will come in handy.;) :smoking:

Attached Files:

8. Yes, when people ask about "lowering" the light they are asking "how close should I put it?" Also, right after a seedling pops through the soil it is best not to give it totally intense light right away, so you may start with them higher and then lower your lights a week or so after the sprout breaks ground.

9. When we talk about lowering the light with HIDs, what we are refering to, is initially you want to start at 2ft to aclimate your plants to its strength, after 2-3 days you then lower it as close as you can without burning them. The only consideration on not getting them as close as possible is when the overall canopy is larger than the footprint of the light at that level. I personally am able to get my lights as close as 10-12" without burning them, however, I'm prefer to keep them 14-16" away from the light.