Lowering humidity without a dehumidifier

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Tee Jay 11, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Anyone know of any tips on lowering humidity without buying a dehumidifier.

2. You can try using Silica. You can buy it in pet stores; they use it for kitty litter. Making a filter with that can help lower RH. :)

Also, temperature and humidity are inversely related....meaning if your temps go up, humidity goes down and when temperatures go down, humidity goes up. I don't know what your temps are, but if (for example) you're sitting at 60F with 70% humidity, increase temps to about 70-75 and humidity should drop. :)

3. yeah, calcium chloride will suck moisture out of the air.commonly availible during the winter months at just about every hardware, bigbox orange or blue store. its used to melt ice good on cement and such. place an air moving fan over an open container, such as a shoebox in small areas like half of a closet and i will gaurentee you moisture will leave the air.

4. [quote name='"Inthedirt4good"']yeah, calcium chloride will suck moisture out of the air.commonly availible during the winter months at just about every hardware, bigbox orange or blue store. its used to melt ice good on cement and such. place an air moving fan over an open container, such as a shoebox in small areas like half of a closet and i will gaurentee you moisture will leave the air.[/quote]

I work with that stuff at my job I have gallons of the liquid. does it only come in liquid form? Thats what I have but I want to make sure you mean liquid

5. Maybe you can pour some of the liquid onto a wide plate and let it soak up moisture?

I think he's talking about CaCl in solid form though.

6. [quote name='"omdogg"']Maybe you can pour some of the liquid onto a wide plate and let it soak up moisture?

I think he's talking about CaCl in solid form though.[/quote]

Makes sense

7. dampRid dude, drops my humidity esp when lights are out mu humidity was like 75.

one of those in the room i get it between 55-60.

8. no Green, my experience would be with the pelletized stuff. There is a thread in the Do It Yourself section. i would imagine.. it would help dry things out really quick if there was a mold situation, the size of the area and if it was sealed up somehow with something like plastic sheeting and masking tape and the air was just circulating around.

9. DampRid is the way to go. Bought a large tub of it and dropped my RH from 75% to about 55%. Its staying around 50-55% now :)

10. Great advise everyone thanks, I think the convenience of damprid is worth looking into

11. UDATE: damprid does the job but it takes a few to do what I need exactly. Thanks

12. [QUOTE....meaning if your temps go up, humidity goes down and when temperatures go down, humidity goes up. [/QUOTE]

Hmmmm.... not exactly, but I see what you're driving at.

Firstly, 'relative' humidity is the percentage of water vapour in a given volume of air in relation to the maximum amount of water vapour which can be carried before saturation. In other words, 100%RH is when the air can hold no more vapour and droplets form on surfaces.

There are 3 factors which will affect relative humidity. 1)- The amount of water vapour present 2)- Atmospheric pressure and 3)- Temperature.

Now, because warm air has the capacity to carry more vapour than cold air, it follows that an increase in temperature will indeed lower the relative humidity - but only because you are increasing the atmospheres capacity to carry more moisture. The actual amount of vapour will remain the same, assuming nothing else changes - the moisture will not go anywhere, it is still there.

However - in a grow room, the temperature increase will speed up transpiration from your plants and release more vapour into the air, so the actual - or 'absolute' humidity will in fact increase with temperature.

So, the only way to lower the humidity is to get rid of the vapour.

The short and simple answer is - A)- Don't water your plants more than absolutely necessary and B)- Ensure adequate ventilation ( extraction fans )

Personally I grow in soil and I find that flooding my plants and leaving them for some days until they ask for water ( leaves start to droop slightly ) gives a better result than keeping the soil constantly moist. I know many would disagree but this method has 2 benefits - Firstly it is impossible to overwater ( strange as it may seem ) and secondly, humidity in the grow room is very low for most of the time.

At the moment, my (temporary) extractor is not really up to the job and I know that my ventilation could be improved, yet I always get excellent results and have never had a humidity problem in my flowering room. Of course, if you are growing hydroponically then you are going to need a much more sophisticated ventilation system than a soil grow, due to the amount of water present.

13. can't believe no one has said a bigger exhaust fan...

much cheaper than a dehu if u shop around

14. #14 All in, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2012
    Hey I look into that dampRid sounds like a Gud idea! But my question is,duz the orders Go Into ur plants when ur drying I just hung them up and of course the humidity is high cuz of them being wet . If I was to hang one of those bags will the orders of the fresh sent b a problem for the plant r taste.

15. Good lord man, not trying to be a dick but your last post is hardly legible, was going to attempt to answer it but it's too hard to read.

16. Increasing you exhaust air flow will decrease humidity assuming the ambient humidity in your house is less than the humidity in your grow room.

17. all i have to say is DONT SPILL DAMPRID on your buds, haha if you do your gonna have a bad time

18. This is exactly the info i need..

I'm in a humid State. Will having proper airflow and air exchange still work?