Lower ph of SOIL

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by K1n0, Jul 4, 2011.

1. stupid question, if i notice i have a high level of soil 7.5 pH can I lower it simply by adding pH level 6 water or is that dangerous to add such a low ph level water?

2. keep using the ph 6 until the runoff is where u want it.

3. How did you arrive at the 7.5 pH for your soil? Most soils are acidic, so this is a bit odd.

Adding some peat moss to your mix will bring down the pH. Peat moss is pretty acidic, like 5 or so.

Wet

4. What is the pH of your input water now?

5. My ph level of my input water in right at a 6.0 and even with my nutes already mixed with the water is around 6.0, but when I test my ph level of my soil its always 7.5-7.8 so I was wondering if putting ph level 5.0 with nutes is dangerous to the plant or if its smart and balances out the soil.

6. What's the story with the grow? Are you just getting her going...if so I'd suggest thinking about getting her into a better suited medium. Buffers can make it a bitch to bring soil pH's around sometimes. It can totally be done, but not worth the fight IMHO when there are so many good choices out there.

Or are we in the middle of flowering...if so then yeah, bring your input pH down and start tracking whether you are having any luck bringing the runoff down over say a 1-2 week period. Does the plant look healthy; is the pH slowly coming down at each watering? Yay! Does it seem unhappy; is the pH not really budging much? You may want to think about whether it makes sense to do a flush.

7. I certainly appreciate you, I will continue with this method of lowering the input because I am currently in the flowering stages. Shes coming along nice, it just seems lately ive been getting brow and cooper spots on the leaves I think I added too much tiger bloom

8. It's OK to lower the pH of your input in order to counter-balance a high soil pH. Because ultimately that low pH water won't stay low for very long, that's exactly the point, that your input is interacting with your soil and results in a higher pH.

Are you measuring your runoff water to get your soil pH, or the soil itself? Best to measure the runoff.

If you're in flower then it's too late to do much about the soil mix itself, though you could sprinkle lime on the soil surface and water it in. But for next grow you should review your soil mix first to see why it is resulting in such a high pH and adjust your mix to keep it more in line.