Lower night temperatures for cuttings - how low is acceptable?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Long White Cloud, Dec 9, 2019.

1. It's summer here and through a thermostat with a probe I can see the cuttings/jiffy pod is sitting at 20 - 23 c for the majority of the day, but occasionally on a cool night it is dipping as low as 15 -16 c

Do you think this is too low a point and could cause negative effects? I have heat mats but I've found them quite erratic so im hoping to leave the cuttings be at this time of year, just a but concerned about how cold is too cold.

2. My temperature in my grows always dips to 16C during my night cycle. Your plants are going to be fine.

My new journal!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. they will be fine when i want fall colors i just drop my night temps down to 12c-16c and keep day temps 22-23c

4. Plants will be fine, but if trying to root clones, you want about 72 degrees consistently. Your clones will still probably root, it will just take much longer

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. You using a rooting compound (gel, powder, aloe etc...)and scraping the outside of the bottom 1/2 inch to an inch of the stem off while underwater? Both will aid in the development of roots.

My new journal!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yeah I used clonex gel, the purple one, this is my first time using that. I had a liquid before but I think it wasnt very good.

I did scrape the cuts, first time doing that as well. I didn't do it under water though. I ph'd the water at 6.3.

Also this time I have the light a lot further away.

I feel I'm better equipped this time but the temperature has been an issue.

• Like Like x 1
  8. You might have gotten air bubbles in the cuts.

My method for cloning: cut -> directly into water to soak for a short time while I cut others -> make a cut at about 45 degrees while under water -> scrape bottom of cutting -> into rooting powder or whatever you’re using-> then into preprepared jiffy pellets (some people prefer other things like rockwool cubes etc) -> finally into the humidity dome and misting with water twice a day to maintain high humidity.

My new journal!

9. Sounds like you are better prepared but as soil2coco said higher temps are more ideal for cuttings. Also cuttings don’t need much light at all.

My new journal!

10. Damn, another factor to consider. Didn't think that could be an issue. Do you think its positive that some cuttings "survived" the too high temperature though?

I had 12 and 5 crumbled and fell over due to it. The rest look nice. It's only been 7 days though.

11. I’m not even sure the theory of embolisms in clones is right to be honest so I’d take that with a grain of salt. Any of them that have crumbled are likely doomed, sorry. Are you keeping the clones in a humidity dome to help reduce the amount of moisture lost?

My new journal!

12. Oh yeah I dont mind about the ones that fell over, I have a decent mother plant, I'm just wondering whether that means the ones that stayed standing are doing something.

They're under a dome the majority of the time, I take it off for a few minutes 2-3 times a day.

13. If you want to get serious with cloning, build a bubble cloner. You can make it out of any container. Just need 2” netcups and clone collars. An air pump and stones. And an aquarium heater to keep temps stable. I clone a lot in the spring and this method will get roots in as early as 3 days but all root by 14 days. No dome needed so you don’t have to harden any cuttings off before transplanting.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  14. I’ve been meaning to build myself one.

My new journal!

• Like Like x 1