lower leaves yellowing

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by mrtwomuchskill, Jun 24, 2006.

1. was up buds gotta a dilemma for yall real easy one here it is I have 4 plants that are in 3 gallon grow bags and in FoxFarm soil I trasnplanted them like three weeks ago and never watered since then two of them there lower leaves are turnung yellow and curling upwards what should I do this will also be my first time watering while there in ther three gallon homes as I stated earlier please help

2. if it weren't for the transplant, i'd say they needed more room, but since you did that and THEN they yellowed, I'd say you have a nute burn? Does the soil you're using have nutrients in it?

3. thx for your input infinate I will just water this time

4. If possible, paint your growing room white or surround the walls with with foil. Water it every 1-2 times a day.

5. my plants did the same but i added some nutes and it fixed the problem

6. This is a great way to kill your plants. Foil reflects too much heat that can cause hot spots that burn your plants. Watering daily will promote root rot.

Mr. Skill, am I understanding that your plants have not received water for three weeks? They need water once the soil dries out, which usually is once every 4-7 days.

7. watering rates, I've noticed, vary from grower to grower as soils and climates vary, but generally watering once has been found to include soaking the soil, then waiting four to seven days for it to dry out.

I personally don't do this, preferring to water small amounts as needed as this does not stress the plant out while its roots are overcome with an overabundance of water. I water once a day unless the soil is moist about 2 inches below. Sometimes I have to wait two days before watering can resume, but generally I allow no more than two days for the soil to dry out.

ANYWHO, I never said you should water, what I asked was whether or not there were any nutrients in the soil that you transplanted into.

Yellowing of the lower leaves is indicative of quite a few things, but at an earlier stage of life, it usually means that either the container is too small or you have nutrient burned it. In either case it is generally good to transplant to a no nutrient medium, such as 50 percent pearlite, 50 percent no nutrient or low nutrient soil.

Just feel two inches below the top of the soil. Is it moist? If so, don't water. If dry, lightly water evenly over the surface of the soil.

How old are your plants and how many internodes are they from their first set of true leaves?

8. Some experienced growers successfully water daily, even several times a day. But to do it this way you really have to know what you are doing, which is why I never recommend it to starting growers.

9. In the heat of high summer I HAVE to water every 24, if I leave it until 36 the girls start to droop. If that does happen it is amazing how quickly they recover when they get a drink.

But not everyone has such a hot, dry climate in summer.

10. And I am talking about indoor soil grows.

11. Oh, right. :cool:

12. ................More heat provides faster growing, foil is only one of the choices you need for more less light bigger plants. High pressure Sodium or metal halide lights are used for this method, not a lightbulb.

You should always keep the room cool.

16 hrs lights on

8 hrs lights off.

13. Brownstain you say heat promotes faster growth?? then u say you should always keep the temp cool? so which is it... in my experince tin foil causes the plant to have burn spots on it pluss tinfoil only reflects 65% of light. painting the inside flat white reflects something like 90% and mylar 95%

14. Also while my plants are veggin i put the lights on for 24/7 and switch it to 12 on 12 off for flowering.. some people believe plants need to some dark time so they 18 on 6 off but i've never heard of 16 on 8 off

As for watering i have a meter that tells me when to water :D $6 at my local hardware store.. its worth the small investment.

15. I didn't say tin foil. When I mean by fast growth is when plants are exposed to more light and heat they grow taller. I use aluminium foil for my room and my buds grow fine. Anyways, if you estimate the amount of light from a source like foil you're not going to get an accurate answer because it all depends on how much light you use and what kind of lights you are operating with. Painting your walls with faint colors are doing fine with me, you can grow pot outside which is over the bright limit that turns your plants into crisp but I don't see anything wrong. And about temperature, I didn't say anything about that. Probably when I meant cool it was really air circulation.

Try this, during a cloudy, windy day sprinkle yourself with water and run around until you pass out. Feel cool?

16. what are you blabbering about? plants need light. heat is not going to help them. warmth, yes... but unless it's winter time there's no need to worry about that. too hot and they will dry out. aluminum foil reflects a bit of light, but it is not that great of a choice compared to other things, since it doesn't reflect that much light and it also creates hot spots.

oh, and... I would never... ever.... ever wait 3 weeks to water. about 4 days is the max for me. overwatering is bad, but 3 weeks without water?! come on! lol

17. You know what? Fuck it

If the freaking lower leaves are yellowing just put it up your ass.

18. hope it turns out ok

19. BrownStain, that is totally uncalled for. The original poster did not challenge anything you wrote, why diss him with bad karma?

And if anyone is challenging what you wrote, then defend it. But maybe, just maybe, there is something to challenge. Consider some of the things you have said in this thread:

There is no way to logically reconcile all of these statements.

What? The fact is that aluminum foil reflects heat much better than light. It is less light-reflective than flat bright white paint. When it reflects heat it can concentrate that heat into hot spots that can burn your plants.

<O:p</O:p

HPS and MH lights use lightbulbs -- HPS and MH lightbulbs, respectively.

Actually the generally-accepted on/off cycle for vegging is 18/6, not 16/8.

I'm glad to hear your thoughts on MJ growing. I hope you agree that if someone finds something you write to be contradictory or confusing then they can ask you to clarify. But please leave the disrespectful attitude at the door.

20. Thanks for mellowing every one out toastybiz.
    the plants would prolli get a lot of firts if he put them up his ass, but he would have a lot harder time gettin the lights up there :eek: