Lower Leaves turning yellow (Outside in smart pots)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by sfrenger, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Sounds like a plan I'm not sure if you have ever picked up a Skunk magazine but The Rev knows his shit about organics and I based my soil mix and methods off of his and working great for me thus far.

2. Richard, Please, by all means, let me hear about your soil mix. I've never bought skunk magazine, but I will look into it. In the mean time, feel free to email me on this site with the recipe of you don't want everyone else to know about it.

SF

3. Nah sharing is caring and why would I not want everyone to be able to grow good medicine? :)
    Here it is:

Base mix is basically two bags happy frog to one four cubic foot bag of per lite and then a bag or two of Earthworm castings usually the 30lb bags.

For every 5 gallons of base mix you add the following:
    2 tbsp greens and
    4 level tbsp bone meal or bulb food(3-8-8)
    3 level tbsp blood meal
    4 tbsp kelp meal
    4 tbsp dolomite lime granular is preferred here but I used powdered myself
    6tbsp all purpose dry (5-5-5) or similar key is balanced I used marine cuisine here its (10-7-7)
    2 tbsp powdered rock phosphate
    4 tbsp crushed oyster shell
    2 tbsp diotomaceous earth

After you mix all that in you fill the bottom few inches of your pots with bark/mulch, leaves, twigs and then another few inches on top of that with alfalfa hay or pellets.(Here I got lucky this year and my neighbor who owns goats gave me all the alfalfa hay i needed loaded with composted goat manure and urine in it) Wet that down and then sprinkle on top the following:
    1 cup blood meal
    2 cups bone meal or bulb food
    3 cups greens and
    Top off with your prepared soil mix and water in with molasses and water and let it sit for two weeks before planting and bad a Bing bad a boom! Healthy plants
    Don't forget Actively Aerated teas as well I got formulas for both veg and flower I use about once a week that really helps break down all your dry goodies in your soil and maintain the biodiversity below the soil line. :) oh and mulch on top of you soil mix is uber important too I also top dress with chicken manure at planting before I mulch does wonders. :)

4. Should also mention use mycos innoculant at transplant and a couple times during veg and flower and the happy frog I also have intermixed in ocean forest in as well in the base mix.

5. Holy wept up tony man, I think that recipe is even more complicated than sub-cool's super soil. I'm looking at as many as 45 twenty gallon pots next year. I think the 30 gal. this year were too big. Shit I just spent 2 hours pruning back 15 of my plants before my back gave out, so I don't know WHAT I would do with if I had 900 gallons of mix to prepare. All the people that belong to our collective are even more handicapped than me. I think you just made up my mind for me. I'm going with my buddy's soil mix next year. 3 ingredients are much easier to deal with than all yours. His smallest plant last year was about 5 feet tall and 5 feet wide and he planted that one late. His largest were (just guessing here) probably 8 feet tall and 6 feet wide. I will say this though, IF ever there's a time that I decide to go completely organic, then your recipe is saved along side of sub-cool's super soil and i will try them both out. I think that next year I may try a side-by-side comparison with my chemical fertilizers and your (or subcools) recipe. It would be nice to see a side-by-side comparison of plants grown in that mix vs chemical ferts. Do you have any pics you can share? Thanks again for sharing that recipe. I'm always looking for more ammo to add to my arsenal of greenery.

6. Always fun to experiment and see what works best for you and your situation glad I could be of some help and give you some options to think about. Whatever you decide I am sure will turn out great. I got pics in my journal if you look in my sign its the top link to my outdoor this year. :)

7. WOW man, left a post on your grow. AMAZING!

8. Thanks again my man it is definitely something I truly love doing and waking up to everyday can't wait to share the love with other 215 patients. :) You got your card you are more than welcome to hit me up if your ever in the Nor Cal area and we can enjoy a nice smoke session. :)

9. Right on man, I don't get out much, but if i'm heading that way then will do. My wife is a traveling nurse and she works in eureka on occasion. If she heads that way again, i'll look you up before I go for a booty call. lol

10. Yeah I think the problem could be the dirt settling and tearing up the roots. They look root bound but shouldn't be for the size ratio.

11. Hello Hello, Welcome. I appreciate your 2 cents, but I tested the soil and figured out that it was a nitrogen deficiency. I have since resolved the issue and am looking forward to having a nice big healthy harvest. In a way you were right. The soil I used had coir in it and I found out that the coir is synonomous (sp) for leaching the nitrogen from the soil. I'm having to water every 3 days and fertilize every week. Soo basically, i'm going to be going through an aweful lot of nutrients this harvest. I plan on top dressing with guano and feed with molasses on occasion as well to help the plants absorb the nutrients. I'll keep you all posted with the latest pics or I will add a grow journal. I have been taking pics for a while. Still wish our plants here in washington grew like those in Northern Cali.

12. There's a reason were called the Emerald Triangle :)

13. New Pics, 5 days later. Can't grow cannabis here in NE Washington like they do in Northern Cali, but we do ok here. All our plants are over 5 feet tall except for some afterthoughts that I planted late. 5 feet now and will probably stretch another couple feet before harvest time in October. Should be a bountiful harvest for all of us. 2-Bubblegum x og kush, 2-Dairy queen (subcool outdid himself on this one, the smell is fucking incredible and it hasn't even hardly started to flower), 10-Thc Snow (3 way cross between THC Bomb, White Russian, and Big bud), 4-Lemon Skunk x UK Cheese, 1-Sweet God (Sweet tooth x God bud), and I stuck the Extrema (sannies) mother outside after my buddy cloned her. Just wanted to see if she finishes up before the frost hits. If so, then she is going to be going into the outdoor grow from now on. Everyone LOVES the extrema. The SweetGod and LemonCheese plants are not going to survive the cut. Very short bushy plants. They just don't grow as well as most strains we have grown outside.

Attached Files:

14. Well the girls are very tall now. Well over 7 feet. I have the phone guy coming out today along with the ups driver. I tried scheduling them both on the same day to minimize how many times I need to leave my gate open. I have some windscreen/privacy netting around the visible side of the garden but my fence is only 6.5 feet tall. I just got done tieing down all the tops that were sticking up. What a hassle that was. I'm wondering if I should just leave them tied and see what happens. Call it an LST experiment. What do you all think, tied down or let them grow to the moon?

15. Bum piddybump bum

16. tie em down dude!

17. but can you explain again how u stoped ur yellowing problem ?? im blown and been lookin at ur post for awile i got the same problem

18. Menas, I already untied them and they are stretching back to the moon. As far as the yellowing goes, I have a severe nitrogen deficiency due to the soiless medium that I used. The coco fiber and peat along with the high amount of perlite leaches the nitrogen out of the soil very quickly. Basically, you need to get a soil test kit and read the instructions and test your soil. That will tell you if you have an excess of nitrogen which will lock out the nutrients, or if you have a total nitrogen deficiency. When I tested my soil, it tested literally zero nitrogen. My soil leaches nutes out soo bad that I can't even water between feedings. I have to feed every 3 or 4 days to keep them healthy. It's fuckin' killing my bank account. 20 ladies eat a lot of nutrients. Probably going to do the organic thing next year.

Do you have pictures of your girls? I have tried pretty much everything else before I found out what was wrong with mine. If you post some pics I can give you my 2 cents.

19. Just a few new pics. First pic is base of one of the DairyQueens and the second pic is the base of my biggest Thc Snow. Others are just random pics.

Attached Files:

20. Supposed to hit 30 degrees tonight. Don't think the girls are going to like that much. Who knows though, maybe that will kick them into high gear. Not sure if low temps even affect cannabis bud production. Oh well, i'm sure they will be fine for one night of low temps. If it continues through tomorrow night though, I may have to go run the porch heater out in the garden in the early (2am) morning.