Lower Leaf Drop Hydro

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by GnR90, Feb 9, 2015.

1. High everyone! I just created this account because I need help with my girls I just had to put into flower. They are too tall to keep in veg. I am having a problem with the lower fan leaves turning brown, crispy, and dropping off rather fast. Also the tops seem to be almost blotchy and may be pale green almost yellow at the apex. Here are my parameters

What type of medium; soil or hydro? Hydro Ebb and Flow from active aqua with hydroton

What strain?Bubba Kush and Pineapple Express

How old are the plants? Aprx 3.5 months BK aprx 5' with bucket PE aprx 6' with bucket

What type of lights? 600w MH conversion witching to HPS

What is your watering frequency and source of water? During veg was 4 times daily for 15 minutes 6 hours apart with one night feed, then down to 3 times a day 8 hours apart no night feed. Just switched to flower watering 3 times for 15 minutes during light cycle only

What is it fed? Using Technafloras BC line with recipe for success chart. Adding Protekt silica, SM90 and H2o2.

What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro? Res change every week and flush with clean water SM90 and H2o2 for a day, dump water and add nutes at pH 5.6, let it rise to 6.0-6.1 then drop down. Ppm currently 1400 about 3/4 strength of the feed chart.

What are the temps and humidity in the room? 75f during the day 65f at night. Humidity 35% day sometimes climbs into 70% at night.

What size pots? I think 2 gallon, ebb and flo. I had to add 2" spacers in the inside pot and prun my roots back from them clogging the lines and running out of space they were pusing out of the inner pot.

Any bugs? Persistent fungus gnats minor infestation in all of my rooms

Any other pertinent info? Running co2. Roots were trimmed back about 3 weeks ago. New root growth is good. Plants were cloned 2 weeks ago now they are much larger more heads.

A good amount of the lower fan leaves are crispy and working it's way up to the canopy. I have a feeling that these are hungry plants but am not really sure. I don't notice tip burn associated with overfert but I have a problem of diagnosing visual signs. Could salt buildup be the problem? I did transplant into the 2 gallon pot with the whole plastic 5 inch pot because I could not safely remove the plants from them. Would this contribute to anything? The new roots are growing great so idk. Anyway thanks for reading and any advice would be life saving at this moment!

Attached Files:

2. Thanks for reading OC, in the technaflora BC line zinc is found in the BC grow at 0.02% chelated and BC bloom at 0.013% chelated,also in the Awesome Blossom at 0.0005% water soluble. I have added the Awesome Blossom at 1/3 strength starting last week before I cut the lights back. Follow up questions would be is this enough zinc in your opinion? From looking at the pH chart should I lower my pH below 5.6 and for how long to not lock out other nutes? As far as not enough light to the lower leafs, I agree there is not a lot of light down there, but would that really cause such a sever drop? At this point the crispy leaves keep working up the stem toward the canopy. I've included a few more pics to show progression of leaves before they turn completely crisp. I appreciate your help

Attached Files:

3. I've read that a lot of folks allow for swings when doing hydro. If the chart I submitted is correct, then a ph of 6.0/6.2 will send the plant on a low end lock-out of P and K. The girls will also be slipping already in Zn at a ph of 5.8, so I would think that maybe the micro would need to be present in amounts of 00.5/00.8% respectively.

I'm not certain of my diagnosis, it simply appears to show signs of Zn in the pics ... a unique banding and color between the veins.

You could possibly control the swing and not allow it to go so far and see if that helps.