Low yields - help?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Growboy, Apr 9, 2010.

1. #1 Growboy, Apr 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2010
    Hi guys, I've got what I think is a pretty nice setup (see sig) but I'm getting less than fantastic amounts from it.. I'll try to list the pertinent variables first, then my opinions. I'm just asking for opinions here: What do you think the most important thing I can do to improve my yields is? There is obviously no single right answer, so I'm just asking for opinions.

I've done 2 harvests so far:
    G1: 7 oz / 4 plants = 49.7g/pp
    G2: 7.5 oz / 8 plants = 26.9g/pp
    Both with the same equipment.

Overall variables to the grow:
    * Northern Lights #5 from High Grade Seeds
    * Fox Farms Ocean Forest Soil + about 20% added perlite
    * BioCanna Nutrients + Big Bud, recommended dosages
    * 4 bulb 4 foot T5 fixture to veg
    * 600 Watt HPS to flower
    * 3' x 3' Grow tray with approx 4' of vertical clearance from top of soil to lamp, in a 4' x 4' x 7' DR120 Tent
    * Feeding when the soil feels dry under the surface.
    * 25F difference between night low and day high. 15F difference between night avg and day avg.
    * 80 - 85F day high, RH always between 40 - 70% (usually around 40-45%)
    * Smart pots containers (air pruning)
    * Water is <10 PPM & pH 6 - 6.5
    * Small fungal gnat infestation.

Both harvests had nearly everything the same, with these exceptions/observations:
    * G1 was from seed, G2 was clones (from G1).
    * G1 vegged longer, due to being from seed.
    * G1 tops grew out of the light (see journal)
    * One of the G1 tops supercropped itself, resulting in the highest weight bud (but nothing spectacular)
    * G1 was in 5 gallons of soil, G2 was in 3 gallons of soil.
    * Half of G2 plants were topped at about 1.5-2 ft tall. Topped plants produced marginally higher yield. None of G1 were topped.
    * G1 was fed during flower with 6 gallons of nutrient water across the 20 (4*5) gallons of soil, G2 was fed during flower with 10 gallons of nutrient water across the 24 gallons of soil (3*8).
    * Used peroxide on both G1 and G2 to control fungal gnats, but closer to the end of life of G1 (almost done flowering) and earlier in the life of G2 (during veg). Only used twice on each.
    * Used predatory nematodes on G2
    * G2 may have been dried too fast compared to G1. The pot feels more brittle.
    * When dissecting the rootballs of G2 they seemed to be stronger, more dense than the rootballs of G1.
    * Both groups had lots of dead leaves throughout flowering. Is that normal?

Feel free to ask anything I left out, it's hard to remember everything =P

I thought I was doing better than my previous harvest, but i guess not :< My goal is to get a pound out of this setup per harvest, that doesn't sound too ridiculous? But it seems I'm working backwards :(
    At the very minimum I should be able to get more out of this lamp by changing SOMETHING, yes?

I'm hoping the soil volume isn't the issue.. Perhaps I'm not vegging long enough?

2. man it sounds like you have a realativly good setup i also recently bought a dr120 i'm loving it so far, i was growing in my bathroom for a while and my highest yeild back then was 11 onces from three plants and that was befor i properly measured ph, ec, and my temps were alot higher aswell,
    anyways what kind of ventilation do you have that can play a crutical rool in yeild roll yeild i'm assuming that you already know this thou it's seems like you have a little experience for what i can tell but you know what they say about asuming(ass out of u and me lol) i could not tell by <10ppm what you ment, that could have something to do with it and is the reason that the light is 4 feet above then plants because of the temp? let me know man i might be able to help a lil :wave: