Low Profile Growing

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Fort Oney, Dec 7, 2005.

1. I just started looking into growing, and I'm giving it serious consideration, but my problem is that I would have to keep the plants extremely latent and more or less undiscoverable. I just saw a guy who kept them in a computer box.

So I have a few questions:

-Which type of seeds would you recommend the most?
    -Would a 400w lamp do a good enough job?
    -How much would a 400w lamp cost on an electric bill (Assuming it's left on about 16 hours a day)
    -How tall does the plant get, and could I just keep cutting it back and get a decent ammount of product?

Thanks in advance.

2. I've never grown inside, but im planning to soon. I'm also bored so ill try to answer your questions...

1. If you want to keep your plants small, an indica variety of weed would work best since they are shorter and bushier than sativa strains. If you cannot order good seeds off the internet...any good bag seed will work fine.

2. 400 W HPS?...yeah, that is a good amount of light and you will end up with big buds most likely!

3.i dont know

4. It's up to you. You can pinch the tops for more outward growth, LST (low stress training), scrog, etc. ...there are a lot of variables that it depends on.

Good luck man and welcome to the city:smoke:

3. I have a little space to grow them outside and could probably pull it off. Do you think it's easier to do it outside, and how do the buds compare do those from the inside?

4. well, the main advantage to indoor is that you control all the variables, better yield also.

for a really small grow op that's stealthy and has a decent yield...i would use scrOG and CFL.

CFL's are good for stealth grow ops for a couple of reasons:

1. little heat is put out
    2. doesn't draw a lot of power

seeds:

if you're gonna get 'em from a seedbank (personally, i'd just start out with some bag weed, that way if you fuck it up you're not out anything)

1. Lowryder
    2. Northern Lights
    3. top 44

5. A 400 watt hps would be perfect, it doesn't put off too much heat, and it will give you the perfect amount of light for a small area. CFLs are nice but you have to use a few of them.

6. Can you give some more info on the guy who grew them in a computer box. I like the sound of that.

7. this guy got amazing yield out of one plant under 70w HPS in a computer box, from beginning, to final harvest of juicy buds, with pics.- link

8. holy fuckshit, I was reading that thread for an hour, that grow is just simply INSPIRING. Makes me want to grow right here in this house.

If I get my own place, I would just do a closet grow, for more yeild.... but god damn - that was just amazing.

One lady, in a tall computer case, with some handy, yet very easy to do scrog'ing... just christ so many bud sites in a fucking computer case.

shit I'll be damned if I don't end up doing that one day

9. I think the only thing i woulda done different on that grow is go with CFL lighting instead of the harder-to-cool HPS...

i did the same thing when i first came across that...it's very inspiring

10. so - allow me to guess at something, and you growers tell me if I'm right;

Because of the spatial limits of the computer case, you cannot allow the plant to grow very tall. However - switching it to Flower to 'stunt' it's growth would be a (supposedly) significant compromise in bud quality. SO - the solution, and I've come to assume from his pictures, is to let the plant run the course of its veg'ing, and continually cut off the top, and use training to get the horizontal growth to fill in the scrog.... right?

11. In a SCROG setup you have a screen, and whenever the plant grows through the screen during veg, you push it (and tie if needed) back under the screen. This creates a bunch of stems/vines all right under the screen and when you flower, all the vines exposed to the light that have bud sites will start to grow colas through the screen.

In a SOG setup I think you can do what you describe, but in my experience topping isn't that effective unless you have a lot of time because although it will produce more bud sites, your plant has to take extra time to recover from being topped (maybe only a week or less each time) but it adds up.