Low impact grow room

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by NotCop, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Want to start an indoor garden that can fade into the background. At first I was only thinking about light and heat but now noise from water pumps, air pumps, vent fans, humidity from plant etc.

Generally speaking, for a small setup with a 400W or 600W HID, how much of an impact would it have on a room?

For example say if I got a small grow tent and put it in the corner-
    1. How much heat/humidity would it put out?
    2. Air pumps, water pumps (ebb.flow), vents seem like they would be annoying. Are they? And is the vent totally needed for such a setup to keep temps down and the air fresh?

On that subject, the main point of a grow tent is light reflection and keeping it dark when it needs it right?

2. I am asking about the grow tent because instead of using one I was thinking to use a wire shelf like this
    [​IMG]

and just cover it up with mylar when the light annoys me or when it needs to be dark for the plants.

3. Many reasons that won't work. For one, plants need total darkness in the dark period, with no light leaks, which you can't achieve with mylar. Plus mylar rips easily.

4. I planned to attach the mylar to the inside of these Solar Curtains I have that I never use. They block light, are really thick, and look nicer than the grow tents black covers.

Any other comments?

5. It's 48x18x72. I got the idea from this website because I eventually want to grow tomatoes. What watt light would you suggest for that size?

[​IMG]

6. am i the only one sketched out about this thread?
    NotCop has 4 posts, all 4 in the thread he started, and i'm not even gonna get started about the name