Low Budget, RUBBERMAID Grow Box

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by SimplySmaLLs, May 4, 2009.

1. Sorry for the shitty update pic

I just snapped a quick one before work today

[​IMG]

-Shes officially got her 7 set of leaves, and since i started 12/12 3 days ago, the box already has a lovely scent to it.

-So excited

2. This thread is awesome, i have 3 tiny sprouts and i needed a cheap and fairly secretive way to grow them, rubbermaid boxes are perfect. Starting to work on them right now.

3. Sweet, this thread has given me faith in my plant, it looks like you've got most of the same conditions i have (started off with low light, small pot, no nutes for a while)
    How wide and deep is your pot?

4. #64 SimplySmaLLs, May 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2009
    I Actually just transplanted yesterday into a 8'' tall, 6'' wide pot, that i cut about 3 inches short, so all in all my pots about 5''x6'' (ish). i dont know honestly i just woke up and am gettin ready for work

However....

I do have some updates and a few new minor problems

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some minor issues,

For 1, Whats with this hole?
    [​IMG]

and also this leaf looks like its missin a piece to,
    [​IMG]

-could this be burns from my aluminum foil? if so im thinking about switching it to white cardboard anyways, but if thats not the issue anyone else have any ideas?

And for God Sakes People, post back, i wanna know my babies doing ok

5. looks good!
    i started a low budget grow box like 2 weeks ago just like yours. I hope they turn out!

6. oh and for the question, yea i wouldnt use foil. I have white all around mine. I dont know if that is what caused those holes tho

7. haha i seriously doubt you're getting a laser beam burn hole from CFL's and tinfoil. :)

It looks like a bug hole to me. Check the sick plants Forum for that and the brown spots. Where did you get the putting coffe grinds on the top idea? Never heard of that before.

-achill

8. Damn, a bug hole? Do you think that bastard will come back? and ill check out the sick forum for the brown spots, thanks.

-Umm the coffee grounds idea, was from a friend of mine who said he has tried it and it helped between weeks 2 thru 6, and i tried it. and as far as i know there wasnt any damage. but thats just me.

9. IDK, looks like a hot spot to me. There's no other damage to any other leaves. Definitely get rid of the foil and either paint the inside white or go and buy some mylar (recommended).

10. #70 SimplySmaLLs, May 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2009
    Yeah tomorrow i think im going to cut out White paper in the shapes of the sides and bottom and top of the box and ducktape that shit on.

11. badass dude! im going to get some supplies for this tomorrow! :p keep it up bro.

peace and smoke.

12. #72 OldSkool1010, May 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2009
    Two small CFLs will not be enough light IMO to produce decent buds. You may get by using them to vegetate, but you will need much more to stack calyxes...minimum of 2,500 lumen per square foot, but that is the Minimum.

Here is the box I made a couple of yrs ago. It works great for vegetating, but I still flower outside because I keep running out of room.

DSCN0965.jpg

Note the bathroom exhaust fan on the left side for ventilation.

Attached Files:

13. Yeah I was a bit curious if your coffee grinds were causing the brown spots, but i dont really think so, since no spots appeared earlier while you were adding them.

Tinfoil sucks all the way around for refectivity, I agree, but you really only have burning issues with HID lighting.

^^^OldSkool1010's right on aswell..

-achill

14. right now ive got 4 lights on 2 Y splitters. 2 of which being 26w daylight (6500k), and the other two are 26w soft white (2300k?) then i have one more 26w daylight, plugged in 1 space up on the power strip.

What made you think i was still using only 2 lights?

15. Well I remembered that you threw in some more bulbs, I think i was more just making note of what OldSkool1010 had said about stacking the calyxes

16. right now ive got 4 lights on 2 Y splitters. 2 of which being 26w daylight (6500k), and the other two are 26w soft white (2300k?) then i have one more 26w daylight, plugged in 1 space up on the power strip.

Do you think with the provided light power there getting now, theyll be able to successfully grow and flower, right now ive got like i said, 3 26w daylight CFLS and 2 26w Cool White CFLs on her.

Shes been on 12/12 for about 9-10 days now, and no sign of sex yet, is this usual?

17. Most def you can grow and flower with five CFL's. It's just that since CFL's grow the plant at a slower pace, you wont have tight, super packed dense buds like HID lighting produces.

Your setup will give you bud, just as potent, just not as heavy. Why I believe ive had some CFL closet bud before thats put me on my ass :) its all good.

btw: it should show sex here within another 5 to 7 days. IF not, then is it possible light is leaking in during the dark times?

18. Awesome, thats defiantly good news, however
    -btw: it should show sex here within another 5 to 7 days. IF not, then is it possible light is leaking in during the dark times?

Bad news, its totally possible, cause the box is just kinda chillen in my room all day, and i go in and out sometimes, could that really fuck it up?. Also imma set up some pics of the set up tonight around 11pm est. and consider if i thru a towel over the whole rubbermaid container during the time the lights off. But then i thought it would suffocate her, cause the fan isnt on when her lights arent on.

also is that a bad thing? should i keep her fan running constantly?

19. So this is my set up thus far, its not great but its doing the job.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And This is how the Lady is doing, i decided i wanted to try to top her, to tell me how you think i did :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall any suggestions, Comments or Advice?

20. just an fyi these things work great for keeping mothers and taking cuttings