Louisiana Wants To Put You In Jail If You Embarrass Anyone Under 17 Years Old Online

Discussion in 'General' started by mushroomsatsuji, May 24, 2010.

1. Ha! I lol at any government that thinks they can properly police the internet...

2. While I don't agree with this new law at all, I think you're oversimplifying the course of action to correct someone who is being tormented electronically. It's never simply a matter of turning one computer off. Think about it for a minute. You're the one being tormented. Think it would be THAT easy for YOU to delete your online presence everywhere? Delete all FB and Myspace accounts? Shut down blogs, change screennames, email addresses, and cell phone numbers?

Something tells me this law has more to do with greed than anything. It's never cheap to hire a lawyer and defend yourself, and the people that stand to make the most money out of laws like this are the ones writing them. Corruption at it's finest.

And this has nothing to do with the handful of cases where cyberbullying has led to the death or suicide of someone. Stop glorifying those few cyber cases already. We've had bullying for centuries and unfortunately, people dying or committing suicide from it for decades now. This is nothing new, hence my greed and corruption theory.

3. A law that makes less sense than marijuana prohibition? I did not think they could pass any more of those. What happens if the minor you insult lied their age or didn't specify it? Why are people becoming pussies so fast all of a sudden? I don't really feel sorry for any one who takes "cyber bullying" too seriously and hurts themselves. They should just shut down their computer, get off their fat ass and go outside, and maybe then they would quit being "bullied" on the interwebz.

4. This will never happen.

There are FAR too many variables to look at..

-Anyone could get onto your laptop, blackberry, droid, iphone and send something.

-Proxies? What if you use a proxy? Are they going to spend all that money to have the right people track you down for a misdemenor?

-What if someone makes a fake facebook, myspace, any other one of those stupid network sites and it has your information and shit on it.. Then they go through and do shit specifically to get you thrown in jail?

Thats just the beginning, they'll see soon enough it's a terrible idea.

5. ^this.:smoking: