Lottery Winner's Twist of Fate

Discussion in 'General' started by Twistedd, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Schenectady, New York (CNN) -- Seven New Yorkers claimed a $319 million jackpot in the multistate Mega Millions lottery Thursday.

The Albany seven, as they are being called, are co-workers at New York state's Division of Housing and Community Renewal, where they have been playing the lottery for years in an office pool.

Sharing the winning ticket were John Hilton, 57, John Kutey, 54, Gabrielle Mahar, 29, Tracy Sussman, 41, Kristin Baldwin, 42, Leon Peck, 62, and Mike Barth, 63.

Barth said another customer cut in front of him as he reached for a Snickers candy bar before buying the ticket at Coulson's News store in Albany. That customer bought a lottery ticket, he said.

"I thought about saying something, but let it slide," he said. "I behaved myself." The next ticket purchased at the store was the winning ticket, he said.

The group chose the cash option, so they are receiving a one-time, lump-sum payment of $202.9 million.

After taxes, each will pocket over $19 million.

Winning numbers in the Friday night drawing were 22, 24, 31, 52 and 54. The Mega Ball number was 4.

Last-minute ticket sales increased the jackpot from $312 million to $319 million, the New York Lottery said.

Mahar -- who watched the drawing at home with her boyfriend -- said she hadn't decided what to do with the money. But she says that she at least wants a dishwasher.

Mega Millions is played in 41 states and the District of Columbia, and is the biggest jackpot game in the country, according to the lottery.

The $319 million jackpot is the sixth-largest Mega Million jackpot ever and the largest for a single ticket ever claimed in New York, said state lottery spokeswoman Carolyn Hapeman.

7 winners claim Mega Millions ticket - CNN.com

2. I don't know how the lottery works, as I'm not gullible enough to play it, but why would it matter if the person cut in front of him to buy a lottery ticket if it's the kind where you pick the numbers anyways?

3. Quick picks are random

4. Ahh, beat me to it.

5. Most people use Quickpicks which randomly generates numbers to pick.

Schenectady is a shithole, good for these people, now they can get outta that terrible city.

EDIT

Goddamn ninjas....

6. Yea, I'm a lottery fan ha ha ha. I really should quit. Shit's rigged somehow. But that 1 little string of hope always brings me back for more. Bastards!!!!!

7. So, I suppose you know when a new scratch off come out, they are full on winners, lol. Shit gets me sometimes.

But I don't play much, kinda a random thing.

Fuck how people go up in there for a damn hour with a stack of $20 tickets and scratch them at the counter. Not racist, but it's always middle aged black women, WHY?

8. She at least wants a dishwasher. I mean, what else are you suppose to do with $19 million?

9. The places you go to I guess. Everybody wants to win money ha ha. And yea I know info on scratch offs. I check the remaining prizes everyday ha ha. I used to be a lucky fucker. IDK what happened :confused_2:

10. Huh. The more you know.

11. You should spread your knowledge my way.

I love how my last post, I posted Ahh, not realizing, it's in your name.

12. Ha ha What state are you in?

13. Shitty, shitty Georgia.

14. Top Prizes Claimed

They show more remaining prizes in illinois. They only have the top for you guys. Sucks

15. A house made of dishwashers

16. A house made of glass dishwashers.

17. Glass house made of glass dishwashers with only glass dishes inside.

18. ffff i'm rich, why the fuck would i buy a machine that washes only glass dishes

19. balllin!

20. Kill all the old people, take their money, Live like a Champ.

Stuff em in the dishwasher, no one will ever know.