Lost my job today

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Justen, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yep I lost my job today. I've worked for the same shipping company for the last 3 years of my life, and with times being as tough as they are, they couldn't have happened at a worst time. I work for a well known shipping company, that called everyone in our area in today for an early meeting. They told us that at the end of the week they will be cutting back on production jobs, and that they had put notices in the mailboxes for us (we have work mail outside of our locker rooms). Over half of the people that work there were let go.

So, at the end of this week I no longer have a job. It's a bad timing for me because I already have one kid who's bday is in a month (will be 1) and another thats due in about 3 months. I was really upset because i've worked for this company now for 3 years, and worked my way up and worked hard for everything I have earned at this job..

Now I am mostly worried about insurance since I will have to find a new job to offer it. Not too sure what to do. I can just say im disappointed :(

I know it isn't the end of the world, im only 21, and I have a GED (good enough diploma) so I still have many options, even school still available to me, but with todays economy and all, I am almost scared to devote another part of my life to a company that could fail in a few years.

Thanks for reading blades. Hope that some of you guys take this into consideration, alot of people are losing there jobs daily. I hope that all of you too, worry about your financial future, these things seem to happen when you lest expect they will.

2. I was also laid off in October. Although I dont have any dependents and ive just been chillin for a few months.

3. Yeah, it's rough having kids, because I know it isn't just affecting me, and that's what is so hard about it. It's hard to look into your kids eyes and feel like a worthless fuck up. However I think I am going to just get an unemployment check for a few weeks until I can find something for sure and stable, and possibly just sell stuff online (ebay ftw) or something that I can do that pays a bit of money on the side until I decide what to do permanently.

Times are rough :\

Things where I live just aren't generally as bad as you here things being in the rest of the country. For example, very few people around my area are having homes foreclosed, or even job losses. Just seemed that it would never happen to me.

4. well youll get unempolyment for what like 3months 66percent of your pay to do nothing thats pretty nice!

5. that sucks dude. hopefully you figure something out.

i also need a job. my dad got his hours cut a while ago, so i was helping my parents with their bills. then i lost my job, so my bills are adding up, and my parents are getting a little farther and father behind every month.

it will get better

if not i'm not too worried because i can grow and hunt for my own food were i live. i always been a family of low income, we know how to get the most out of a little.

6. Unemployment is actually 50% of your take home for 6 months. Although its not quick money as it takes them up to 6 weeks to send you the first check.

AND thats IF you get your money. I was reading some UnEmp forums and they were saying how theres not really enough money so they will use any excuse to delay paying you.

7. Welcome to the real world son. I'm 38 years old, have a BA from UCLA, and haven't worked in over a year. I was let go from my last job at the end of last January and have been on unemployment ever since. Fortunately in this shitty economy they've been granting extended benefits, in California you get 6 months of benefits, then can apply for a 3 month extension. The ONLY thing that Bush ever did that I thank him for is granting FEDERAL extensions of unemployment benefits that have allowed me an additional 2 extensions. My benefits will now end in approximately 10 more weeks, and in the end I'll have received over a year's worth of UE benefits.

No the money isn't enough to live off of, but fortunately my wife has a great job and we're doing OK. We cut back on expenses, got rid of our nanny, and now I'm a stay-at-home dad for my 2 year old. To be honest this last year has been great for me and my daughter (my wife is stressed, but she appreciates the fact that ONE of her daughter's parents is home all the time with her).

Advice though: In today's economy a GED will not get you a long-term good job that you can make a career out of. When you're stable enough, get into community college and start working towards that Bachelor's. I've been on both sides of the hiring table, employers want people with degrees, and given the choice between two or more candidates who have similar qualifications, the ones with degrees will always get hired over the ones who don't have them.

More advice: BUDGET. Write down all your expenses and eliminate those that are absolutely unnecessary, once you do that you'll be better able to assess your financial situation. I ASSume that you've got a significant other, so make sure you do things as a team.

As regards to health insurance, you're a young guy at 21, you could conceivably go without it for awhile. There are alternatives such as free clinics and what not. If your S.O. doesn't have health insurance the fact that she's pregnant will get her in the door of a lot of doctors offices and there are WIC programs that can assist you both.

Losing your job in this economy is not as bad as it once was, there's no real stigma attached since so many people are unemployed. Times are tough, but make sure you stay optimistic, this won't last forever.

8. hey man im sorry to hear that... i got laid off about a month ago but that was from stop&shop... but it sucks cuz i got student loans to pay off too.. but like the guy above me said u now have a few months to kick back... and u cood always find a part time crap job until the economy picks up ...

9. That really sucks, Ive never been laid off.
    Get the unemployment and look around for somewhere else.
    Good luck.

10. awwww
    cry me a river!

11. Don't be a douche.

___

To the OP, that really sucks man. Hopefully you will be able to find some kind of job.

Good luck.

12. stop actling like a cunt. -rep for dogging someone while they're down.

13. My mom got laid off right after xmas. She was there for only 3 months. This economy sucks.

14. if anything has deserved a - rep, it was that stupid pointless comment, intended to cause hurt. lame.

OP - UPS?

Listen man, as a 27 year old single father with an 8 year old, I feel i can say its now time for you to man-up (not that you haven't before) big time and do whatever you have to do to take care of your kid(s)/family. My dad always used to say he "would walk down the street naked (if someone paid him for it) to put food on the table for his family. Find a new job man, don't sit around worrying about it.

Like Wild WIll said, times are very tough and will be getting worse. Just don't set your sights too high, because there are even lots of 21 year olds WITH college degrees that can't find work, and are relegated to delivering pizzas, etc... At this point in time, any place that pays you cashmoney is a good job.... :(

15. dont set your sights too high, any income is better than no income, so whether its mcd's for right now, its just gotta happen

16. sucks to hear but best of luck and im sure things will start to get better

17. MY *****!

Hell yeah.

I hate when people say they can't get a job. I can find jobs and I only got my high school degree (still goin in college). If you can't find a job its because you think your too good to do certain jobs.

If shovellin shit earns me the most money give me the biggest shovel.

18. Well...I understand it's tough @ 1st but this gives you the opportunity to get away from dependency being a W2...move on, do what I have done, become a 1099 and be your own boss!

It will give you all the freedom you wanted, financially and time wise!

19. I am very fortunate, in these times, to get Work compensation because I was injured in a car accident last december. I get paid $150 a week, and I don't work a single hour (I am 18 with no dependents). To those of you that aren't as fortunate as me, stay up! I know what it's like filling out 20 apps without having a single place call you, but the longer time you spend filling out apps and resumes, the sooner you are going to get a job.

20. Could you point out the part you are being fortunate about?

Wouldn't you rather be healthy and make that same money in one day working rather than getting $150/week for being a (hopefully only temporary) cripple!?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.