Lost my dog

Discussion in 'Sex, Love & Relationships' started by Cruizer, May 5, 2013.

1. Well, thread title says it all.

Lost my dog, she's 16 years old and somehow we managed to lose her. She has no collar as I didn't think she needed it considering she's slow and almost blind.

Now she's outside and skinny (she'd been losing weight due to kidney failure) in 13 degree weather. I looked and looked for four hours but it became dark and I'm sure my whistling/calling fell (literally) on deaf ears.

I really don't know what to do with myself right now, I feel so absolutely helpless and this really seems out of my control. I'd had this dog since I was three years old and she's always been there for me. She protected me and cuddled me whenever I was sick or sad. Now I can't do the same for her.

I'm assuming the worst given above circumstances. I'd be a hell of a lot happier if I just had some closure on this, wondering if she's still alive, frightened and cold or if she's passed on and is no longer suffering. I'd give a lot to just know.

Sorry for the rant blades, very emotional time right now.

2. Oh my god, I am so sorry to hear that!! I really hope your baby turns out to be OK. There is not much in this world I love as much as my puppy dog.

Not much I can do to help but I am sending good wishes your way.

PS - Now you know. EVERY cat/dog needs a collar with tags, and a microchip. I have had multiple dogs saved by the police because of this.

3. Dude call animal control. Someone may have seen her and called them to come get her. That's what happened to my ex's dog when it got away from my house. Someone called them and the cops picked her up and took her to the pound.

I'm really sorry and I really hope everything works out

4. best of luck OP

i saw my dog get put down and his lifeless body dragged out of the kitchen like he was a sack of meat

nothing's worse than that

5. This must feel horrible, I hope you find her. Good luck!

6. Sorry, man :( Hope you find her. Like HBG said, if there's a sort of animal control where you live I would try them.

7. So sorry to hear this. :( I hope she's alright, maybe someone did pick her up and bring in inside..

Definitely call up your local Animal Control any other shelters/rescues in your area. I would also try the closets vets, too. Just to see if anyone tried to bring her in. Most likely if she looks old/thin and she was outside in bad weather, I'd like to think someone probably scooped her up..

But if you think she could still be out there, I would say try looking around the area close to your house and see if you can spot any place she may have sought refuge in, any good hiding places nearby... If she's older and not in the best shape she may have been too scared/weak to go far, which should make finding her a bit easier. Don't be afraid to search around in yards near your house, tell your neighbors if you have to. Also, putting up Lost signs around your neighborhood is a good idea.

I really hope you find her, and in good shape. Good luck.

8. Still haven't found her. Put some posters around and will call the local dog pound/vets soon. Been about 13 hours since she went missing. Apparently some dogs when they know they are going to die bury themselves in small holes in the Earth. But we haven't found anything like that.

9. Damn, I would be pretty stressed if my dog ran away. Best of luck to you.

10. About 46 hours from losing her, we've reached a conclusion. We found her dead in our pool. It was murky so we were unable to see her body but my mum found her body with the pool cleaner.

A strange collection of emotions has come over me. Though we have several people in my family everyone else considered her to be 'my dog'. I'm not sad, exactly. I'm relieved that I was able to find her and that revelation hasn't been met with tears. Maybe I'm just trying to be the 'rock' that my family needs. Maybe I'm still in shock. Maybe I had been anticipating this for so long that I released all my grief even while she was still alive, although very old. I'm not too sure.

I'm just glad it's all over and to know she didn't suffer a cold night alone. Her death was as painless as possible and most likely a quick drowning since her lungs/heart weren't functioning too well anyway. I'm glad her final moments, before she went outside were with her family and not with some strangers who took her into their home. She never climbs through the fence to the pool and I think was only able to do so due to her recently lost weight. I'm still not sure if this was intentional, I'm going to guess that it was, regardless of what others might think.

tl;dr - Found her dead in the pool. 16 years old, long and happy life.

11. Sorry for your loss man but I'm glad you're doing good. I didn't cry either when my cat died, we had her from when I was 3 and she made it to 17.

That's good you found her, It's gotta be a big weight lifted off of you. Keep on being strong dude

12. :( Very sorry for your loss.. But as ^ said, glad that you are dong ok and that you had closure..

13. whew had me worried, sorry for your loss but thats not a bad way to die atleast u didn't see your dog as road kill as ive seen a lot of those. really sad but glad you've come to your conclusion. Dont worry im sure your dog had a great time with you.

14. Sorry you had to go through that. Just remember that everything dies, and 16 years is long for a dog and you probably made it a good 16 years for that dog... better than most have had. trust me you will find peace of mind with the situation... and you will probably have more dogs... And pay close attention to those dogs, or any dogs from here on out... you can see your old dogs through them. She will always be there and you can see that the most inside OTHER dogs. Peace.

I've lost a few very close pet dogs... and I've noticed that they aren't actually lost... they are always there. And I can see it the most by observing other dogs.

15. This.

I'm sad about this, even though I don't know you.
    I've lost a family pet, and he dog that I have now is basically my child. I'm so sorry

16. I'm sorry to hear about you loss, bud. I'm glad you are looking at this well. Remember, death isn't about mourning a loss but celebrating a life.