Lost Faith in People

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Silther, Jan 28, 2012.

1. So, I'm not even out of high school yet (I'm 18, don't go flaming), and holy hell, people are just despicable, aren't they? Nobody's who they say they are, and repressed psychological problems are all over the fuckin' place.

I've been patient, tried to be a realist, even tried taking a break from the dope to see if it was turning me into a cynic. On the contrary, not having it made things a hell of alot less bearable. I took a good long look at my "friends", and they're horrible. Obnoxious, attention-craved children, the whole lot of them.

"Make new friends", one may say. Oh man, have I tried. Needle in a haystack, sir. It's a vicious cycle that I've been through one too many times. People, by nature, put on an act when in the company of other people. I could care less, as long as they consistently keep up this act in front of me. I used to feel almost socially obligated to put up with such people far longer than I should have. No longer.

As of late I've been going through friends like I would a pack of cigarettes. All I'm left with in the end is a headache and a bad taste in my mouth.

So, I suppose you could say I haven't lost faith in the human race, but I have little hope left for my generation. They're over-saturated with the American Dream and can't seem to act logically, instead being driven by their base instincts, their wants and desires (often these desires are all but selfless).

But, while I've lost faith in them, I think I've found a little faith in myself. I act how I feel is morally just. I try not to hurt people who don't intentionally hurt others. I'm not a good person, but I pride myself in the fact that I strive to be at times. Yet, despite this, I have far more enemies than friends. I speak my mind and man, do I suffer for it.

So Grasscity, am I just some emo kid, bitching about his life, or is there a bigger problem here? Some may say that I'm in high school, that the real world is far less drama-fueled and mind-numbing. I point you in the direction of our current economic and political state. This whole selfish mindset I'm talking about dominates the lives of the very people who are supposed to be helping the masses.

I welcome you to speak your mind. I came here because I really do find this troubling, and figured that maybe some others would as well.

Please be nice to me. I can't stand it when people judge me on the internet. :rolleyes:

2. I've always had a problem with most the people of my generation, but I could never put my tongue on exactly what it was and I think that portrayed it perfectly, the above post helped me better understand myself. Thank you.

3. It wears away at your resilience and sense of purpose, but something always comes up that snaps you outta that "fuck it all" stupor and gets you pumped to go out and fight the fuckin' world. That's life for you man. It's sick, twisted, pitiful, mystifying, and at times, a pretty damn exhilarating experience.

Thank god for marijuana. It's like it lets you put aside all that your mind can't help worrying about and just... take it all in. Helps you put things into perspective, if you've got the capacity for it.

4. Lots of views. Not many posts. Come on guys, I don't want this to fade away into nothingness. I'd like to hear the community's thoughts.

5. You're not so much different than me. You think outside the box and get sick of everyone else being so naive.

6. I know what you mean, but, I dont have this problem. People are fucking annoying sometimes but I dont hang around with them. You need to find people that truly make you happy to hang around.

7. cause you're still a kid - wait ten years, people grow up and drop that bullshit. just don't turn into a hermit because you'll regret it (socially i mean, i hear some regular hermits actually have it quite good)

8. Man don't worry about that stuff. You know how I dealt with it? I just found the 2 or 3 other kids that didn't give a fuck either. Douchey people who seem cool in high school aren't even real people, and aren't worth your time getting all philosophical over. Have like 3 friends you can joke them with and just kick it. Being a misfit is cool :smoke:

9. OP, I feel your pain brotha. To put it bluntly, people suck. People are mean, they are selfish, the are ignorant, and people value money over human decency and human life. As long as money is the ultimate thing worth striving for in this world, things will never get better and will only get worse. They say there are more good people in this world thhan bad ones, but I no longer believe that. The human species is not a very smart or nice species, and they seem intent on self destruction. And as long as money is the ultimate god, we will never evolve.

10. this exactly why i moved to peru..

basically. people are stupid. can't live with em can't live without em.

11. #11 Autumnwind, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2012
    You're a lot like me.

Humanity is in HUGE trouble.

Our generation was terrible, is terrible, and will always be terrible. I feel exactly the same way. I just left high-school and I'm surprised I haven't shot anyone there yet.

Although, what really baffles me, is how much people change AFTER high-school. Life, itself, changes obviously. But the new people you meet, the old people you knew, and various others - change. They realize their naive and immature self cannot make it in this world, what-so-ever.

I've met a few high-school kids I used to hang out with, again, and I have to say they've really matured.

It takes a swift kick in the face by life to make anyone realize how stupid they really are being.

Totally understand you, though. People suck, in general.

And, honestly, the "real world" is a lot better than high school. Much less drama because no one wants drama anymore. Everyone gets their fair share in high school.

Our Economical and political drama will stand, always. And our country is fucked. So I'm just burning and burning while our Ship with the letters stenciled, "U.S.A." does just that. Burn.

12. Not all People are like that of what you've described maybe an majority in the U.S. but consider traveling outwards to different countries and you'll experience open minded good nature generous intellectual people that don't put with the typical nonsense you get here. I've became quite cynical experience life here that's why I plan to live in perhaps The Netherlands for an much more liberal environment, Canada (Vancouver, Montreal) and any of other non-western places and you'll experience a better life.

13. Your def not alone man
    I feel exactly like you do OP

Everyone is just so fake and everyone try to be something they're not infront of their peers.

It amazes how blind they can be even from logical point of views

I went through friends a lot
    And I couldn't stand them man
    I never liked hanging out with more than 2 people at a time especially with my friends

My friends were good people but very attention whores and thought what you wore and if you looked fresh that its all that matters in the world

I would hate hanging out with people cuz the way they acted all together in one place were very annoying and idk, they were just brainless materialistic and shallow people

But when I'd hang out with one of them alone theyd act different but with groups of people they shifted personalities easily as changing a shirt

And noticed everyone in my highschool was like that

Every since I've graduated high-school ( last June) life has been different
    And Ive been a complete hermit with my gf
    And honestly I haven't any drama, trouble or headaches and since I've been a hermit I've realized a lot of shit and its helped me come to my senses and its showed me how Fucked up of a world we live in

I too have lost faith in our generation

And like you said

Its a needle in a hay stack finding decent people who stay true to who they really are

One day man

14. OP, i know how you're feeling bro. Dealt with the same shit when i was in high school. I just ditched all those people and hung around my ''real.'' friends. All we'd do was smoke weed everyday talked about life, our own problem's and discussed shit like politics and philosophy. They helped me deal with all the b/s going on in my life and got me through high school, you just need quality friends who can relate.

and for the people that act fake or childish, they only do that to fit-in. ex. I had a buddy in HS who was the biggest homophobe, he even made fun of gay kids calling them fags and bullied them. After high school he came out and vindicated his remorse he just couldn't deal with being bullied. Or losing friends/popularity.

15. yea people suck, but come on, i mean its in the interest of a human to take advantage of another when theyre stupid right. i mean look at this thread, this guy ate pizza, wings and pizza than goldfish. so much food as well, after you smoke weed you lose faith in society, and man dude if you think weed smokers are bad dont hang out with hard drug users, and then those guys will shoot you in hte back of the head if you dont help them get cash. unsavory people and drugs always go hand in hand.

16. I find it's similar in all generations. You have those who just want to do what people did before them, those who think they know it already, those that don't want to know anything, and those who seem to just do their own thing. But we tend to attract what we put out. What you believe is going on, will only make it more likely that this is what you see.

Might make more sense to accept that those people you'll eventually hang out with, will be found from different walks of life, and all ages. You've clearly outgrown most of your peers. Big wide world here you come.

17. I don't plan on becoming a hermit, though at times it sounds a bit more appealing than high school. I get along with many adults and I suppose that's a bit comforting, because I guarantee that many of them were pretty douchey back in the day before they grew up a bit.

Overall, I think it's more than a bit troubling that our youth even have this pathetically materialistic lifestyle in the first place. I blame media, because it's sure as hell not the parents encouraging it. Just my thoughts on that.

18. i felt the same way about people, and smoking weed amplified it. i thought my closest group of friends were my friends because of how real they were, but one day i saw how each of them was being someone different than i'm used to. and as selfish as this sounds, i thought i was the only one being myself. but no, humans are weird like that. we're all driven by food, sex, etc. but we're also highly intelligent animals in the fact that we're actors, suppressing those pyschological problems and hiding our true selves. it's sad. i guess that's called being fake, and it used to piss me off (and still sometimes does) that everyone i EVER meet is so fake, but the more i noticed it, the madder it made me feel, which is just unhealthy. people act bitchy, needy, flirty, super nice, shy, dress a certain way, etc just to get noticed. it sucks...but oh well. part of maturing is realizing that there are gonna be sucky people like that everywhere, and even the realest friends you make will sometimes do those fake things too, we just can't help it.

19. It's funny you made this thread cause the past couple weeks I've just been feeling like all of America is going to shit and that my generation (I'm in college) is completely stupid and have no idea what's going on in the world. And with politics and the upcoming presidential election chances are it will be decided by people who have no idea what the fuck the person they're voting for is really about.

Like you said everyone is caught up in the American dream and wants to be rich yet a majority of our generation wants to take all the money from "rich" people and have a huge government that basically gives us everything. I just don't understand how they don't realize that if that happens there isn't going to be anymore rich people in America so you can say goodbye to the American dream. And government is incredibly inefficient they waste so much money and the bigger the government becomes the more money gets wasted. We need to keep money in the free market so people create and improve their businesses (which whats the point if the government will take the money) and they become more efficient. But everyone only looks out for number one and wants to get whatever free stuff they can who gives a damn where it comes from just keep the gravy train rolling.

I'm seriously getting the hell out of America once I graduate unless things change cause I'm sure as hell not gonna be on the hook for 17 trillion in debt (48k per citizen but only half pay federal taxes so it's really 96k per taxpayer) /rant yes probably off topic sorry I've had wayyy too much redbull)