Losing smell during drying

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Gronkowski, Aug 22, 2012.

1. For the first time I now have a decent yield, of green crack grown indoors, organic. Everything went well through the grow, but now in the drying stage, after harvest I have seem to lost the smell I would expect from a yield of that size. I have tried several different methods but the current one is a card board box with an intake fan in the bottom, a layer of screen mesh, and the majority of buds hanging from wooden dowels on the top. I hope the smell would return during the cure. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any ideas/ comments?

2. When your girls are flowering they give of an enormous smell. Drying definately drops the dank level down some. I suggest taking a popcorn bud after you've dried it a bit and crush it between your fingers like you are getting ready to load it in a bowl....(not a bad idea eh? :) ) Take a sniff, you should still smell that nice aroma.

3. [quote name='"Gronkowski"']For the first time I now have a decent yield, of green crack grown indoors, organic. Everything went well through the grow, but now in the drying stage, after harvest I have seem to lost the smell I would expect from a yield of that size. I have tried several different methods but the current one is a card board box with an intake fan in the bottom, a layer of screen mesh, and the majority of buds hanging from wooden dowels on the top. I hope the smell would return during the cure. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any ideas/ comments?[/quote]

How long are you drying for?

4. Today is only day two of drying and the smell I get more than anything else is chlorophyll.. When I handle it for even a brief time my fingers become extremely sticky and smell like they should. Will that come back to the rest of the bud when it cures?

5. It should. Especially after curing it for a while. I like to use canisters with sealable tops like a mason jar to cure my bud. Anyway, 3-4 more days and your bud is going to be smaller and smell sweeter! Enjoy it man!

:bongin:

6. What would be a while? I have cured for 7 days before, would that qualify as a while? Or should I cure for longer?

7. They say a good solid cure is around 4 weeks. At least 2 weeks before you get a decent smoke.

8. [quote name='"Gronkowski"']Today is only day two of drying and the smell I get more than anything else is chlorophyll.. When I handle it for even a brief time my fingers become extremely sticky and smell like they should. Will that come back to the rest of the bud when it cures?[/quote]

Green Crack isn't the strongest smelling strain so don't expect roadkill stank. But IMO everything you are experiencing is normal. Usually when I harvest things are very stinky the first day while trimming and handling the buds, then the smell level totally drops during drying. But then once they hit the jars for a couple days the smell should come back.

I don't know how long you let the buds mature, but harvesting early is a surefire way to have bland buds.

• Like Like x 1
  9. [quote name='"KushKing00"']They say a good solid cure is around 4 weeks. At least 2 weeks before you get a decent smoke.[/quote]

In my experience if a strain is going to smell good, it smells good early in the cure. The long cure just keeps making it better.

10. I am fairly certain the buds had matured to their full potential, she took about 14 weeks to finish flowering and had formed nicely shaped trichromes by the day of the cut. I have pictures I will try and upload when I return to my laptop.. This isn't my first harvest, but I was expecting more smell from my first yield of a decent size.. Thanks for the help.

11. Yeah sounds normal - a lot of smell comes back during the curing stage which in my exp is never shorter than 1 month for proper cured dankness

12. Smell comes back somewhat. Not what people make it out to be. If you have a dank smelling strain, it's going to stink throughout the whole flowering, drying, and curing process. I've grown a few strains that I've cured for months and the smell did get somewhat better, but not too much. The chlorophyll smell went away though, so I'm sure that's what people mean....

If you've smoked a nicely grown OG, that stuff stinks 24/7.

The longer you dry, but not quick drying, I mean slow drying at the perfect rh, the better smell you'll end up with.