Los Angeles Breaking News - DAs to prosecute MMJ clubs despite City Council Rulings

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by WildWill, Nov 18, 2009.

1. D.A. Defies L.A. City Leaders, Vows To Prosecute Pot Sellers - Los Angeles News - LA Daily

D.A. will prosecute medical marijuana dispensaries -- even if L.A. does not ban sales [Updated] | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

After yesterday's PLUM Committee/Joint City Council meeting we were actually left with a victory! The committee rejected City DA Trutanich's 5th draft proposal of regulations and actually ADDED IN that Cash Sales at Non-Profit Dispensaries would be OK.

BUT Trutanich and County DA Steve Cooley don't give a rat's ass about what the City Council says, they're planning on prosecuting dispensaries who take cash sales.

It's high time for these two bozos to be stopped. A Recall campaign against BOTH me needs to happen. I'm not sure how to start this, but let's get together against these morons who are NOT following the will of the people and are being insubordinate to their superiors on the City Council. Seriously click the links above, I"m not quoting their bullshit.

2. Some people just can't understand that Cannabis has been used for thousands of years and is here to stay.

3. #3 Justonevoice, Nov 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2009
    It will be extremely difficult if not impossible to recall Cooley as he does have a very strong base of support especially with the Defense Attorneys lobby here in LA.

What is going to have to happen is for him to go after a collective that has all of it's ducks in a row to go to court and fight him and win. Once this is done it would be important for that case to be published heavily in the press and online. He will lose in court.

Bottom line is that the fuck is playing politics and most likely has asperations of the Governors office. Politics as usual in LA

4. Wow that guy just won't let it go.He really needs to get over it.Is this really whats keeping him up at night?Does it boil his blood knowing that people are using marijuana??? ...is he mentally stable??:confused:

5. If there is a legal basis (under state law) for him to prosecute then what city council says means nothing. The legislative branch cannot usurp his power.

6. looks like people will have to drive north

7. That's the thing, there IS no legal basis for him to do this under state law. State Law merely says that clubs have to be non-profit. It says NOTHING about outlawing cash sales.

Cooley's going to HAVE to back down, or face reprisals. The City Council will not let him run roughshod over their wishes.

yes, it is politics as usual, and unfortunately even if Cooley loses, he wins. He'll go back into private practice and earn three times as much money as a defense attorney. His state wide aspirations at this point are dead. 77% of Los Angeles citizens are against his prosecution of MMJ dispensaries.

8. If there is no basis then the courts will dismiss the cases and people will not face punishment.

9. But it still mean a pain in the arse trial and arrests in the mean time. He needs to be stopped before he can start ruining people's lives and livlihood.

10. And......the defendants have to spend tons of money defending themselves..........the lawyers will walk away with fat pockets while the dispensary owners get shafted. Wish I could help from where I'm at, but all I can offer is my support to your cause.

WW.......get a petition going.......with 77% of the folks behind you, slam the m-effers with the "WILD WILL" of the people.

My best to my Angelino brethren....................chunk

11. I think a lot of these politicians are looking at landing Fed positions, so they are just crapping all over state laws everywhere. They rape the locals as long as they can and then they move on. I believe they used to be called "carpet baggers." :D:rolleyes:

12. So wait a minute...

The people want this. The city says it’s ok. The Obama administration says it’s ok. The AMA thinks it’s a good idea.

Is this guy elected or appointed? Either way, residents of LA should call for his resignation.

13. He's in his third term as County DA. Up until now he's been a pretty mediocre DA, not horrible but not great. Now he's just being an ass.

14. I posted this in another thread in Legalization and Activism, but I think it bears repeating here:

"In the end, it doesn't matter what the D.A. thinks; it's the courts. The law is somewhat fluid when it comes to the sale of MMJ, and when the shit hits the fan, the judges will be the ones who'll have to sort this out.

However, I see no reason why the courts would rule against the sale of cannabis. If the state and local legislature votes for it, as long as it's not being sold across California state lines, no federal law is broken - the entire reason why the federal statute exists is thanks to the Interstate Commerce Clause (Article 1, Section 8, Clause 3), and if all means of production and exchange are being done within California, then there is no case.

NOTE: I do understand that, technically, Gonzales v. Raich provides for Congress the ability to ban the manufacture and sale of cannabis, even if it's done completely within state borders. However, this ruling has already been brought into question as being blatantly unconstitutional. To quote Justice Clarance Thomas: "If the Federal Government can regulate growing a half-dozen cannabis plants for personal consumption (not because it is interstate commerce, but because it is inextricably bound up with interstate commerce), then Congress' Article I powers -- as expanded by the Necessary and Proper Clause -- have no meaningful limits." And further, "If the majority is to be taken seriously, the Federal Government may now regulate quilting bees, clothes drives, and potluck suppers throughout the 50 States. This makes a mockery of Madison's assurance to the people of New York that the "powers delegated" to the Federal Government are "few and defined", while those of the States are "numerous and indefinite."

Besides, even if the ruling is to be taken seriously, the assumption is that the manufacture and sale of cannabis within California, even when done internally, effects interstate commerce in such a profound way as to be considered under federal jurisdiction. To use the Court's own words: "The regulation is squarely within Congress' commerce power because production of the commodity meant for home consumption, be it wheat or marijuana, has a substantial effect on supply and demand in the national market for that commodity." In other words, if you legalize it, then price would go down, causing the market itself in every state to fluctuate. However, the fatal flaw here is that, since there is no way to track this market shift, as cannabis is illegal in most states, there can be no comparison or objective measurement of price to point to and say that it effects a sizable shift in market price on a national level. That and the fact that shifts in market price occur all the time, and that under this logic, the federal government has the right to regulate any and all transactions, wherever they might occur. This is obvious nonsense.

Lastly, this entire ruling is based on circular reasoning. The reason why consumers will go to California to buy cannabis is, assuming basic economic theory is correct, prices will go down with the increase in production, afforded to by legalization. However, there need not be this influx of consumers if the drug in question was legalized and put into the public market. We all know why cannabis is expensive - because it's illegal, and this black market shifts the supply downwards, while the demand remains the same. Inexorably, price must go up. The only reason why California will effect the national market price is because the product has an artificially inflated price due to the black market! In the end, the only reason that the government can justify prohibition is by the effects of prohibition. This is not only an insult to logic, but to the people of this country."

15. Very nicely put. + rep

16. I posted on your other comment as well, but I should add that Raich, and its predecessor, Wickard v. Filburn, are even worse than what you stated. Those cases stand for the proposition that Congress can regulate marijuana (or wheat in the case of Wickard) even when it is grown only for personal use. It doesn't even have to make it into commerce, be it intra or interstate. Why? Because the SCOTUS has ruled that so long as it affects commerce it can be regulated.

In Wickard the farmer grew more wheat than was allowed by law. Despite the fact that he used the wheat only for his personal use on his farm (the wheat never actually went into commerce), the fact that he grew all his own wheat meant that he didn't buy wheat from others, thereby affecting interstate commerce.

The same logic applies in Raich, except that the mere possibility of legally grown California marijuana making it into the illegal market has an affect on interstate commerce.

I loathe both cases and I totally agree with Thomas's dissent. I am almost always in agreement with Scalia, but I was incredibly disappointed with his concurrence in Raich.

If we want to change the law we need more Republican presidents to nominate conservative justices. Democrats are not going to nominate justices who would change the commerce clause interpretation.

17. Federal case law doesn't really apply here anymore, especially since the Obama administration has told Federal DAs NOT to prosecute Medical Marijuana patients or dispensaries.

We're talking about local ordinances here.

They met again today and went around in circles. They tabled discussion until next Tuesday when they MIGHT vote on an ordinance, but I seriously doubt they will.

The City and County DAs are so far off field in this one that the City Council is disregarding their interpretations of the law since they're really half-baked (pun intended).

18. I was speaking in generalities. But I think that local DAs can enforce federal laws. They just cannot be forced to enforce federal law.

19. I think the City Attorney is trying to get a Sarah Palin book deal, then he'll quit.

Everybody in Hollywood will sell out for a price. That's what made LA the lovely cesspool it is today.

I'm glad that these idiots get so much attention paid to them in America.

I'd love to be the judge who explains to this misfit of the legal system who his boss actually is, and what they think of his wasteful posturing.

This DA is about to get a legal ass kicking. He should know he has no legs under him, he did graduate law school, right?

And no, City Attorneys do not enforce federal law, that is out Of Their Jurisdiction!!!

To say nothing of good Jurisprudence.