Looks Great, But Smells... Funny?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by chiefkeif, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Hello ladies and gents. Happy to say I've finally made it to the finish line of my first attempt ever. She looks great, and smelled good growing and when i took her down, But now has more of a fresh/hay smell... 4 days into drying. What gives? A little more background for ya:
    Blue dream from clone
    400w mh and hps
    Roots soil
    Gen hydro nutes
    Purified water
    Bud candy and big bud
    6 weeks veg/10 weeks flower
    Hang drying large branches
    Well ventilated
    75 degrees, 55-60% humidity

Any thoughts would be great as to avoid this next go round... Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. youre not curing properly

3. Im only drying at this point, its been 4 days since she was cut. I have jars ready but its still far too damp to be ready to cure.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. It will smell like that while it dries at first. Did u flush the final week?

Sent from my LGLS740 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Question did you do any flushing during the last week-2 weeks of flowering to pump water through the plant and get all those nutes out. Also I'd only dry for 2 days no longer than 3 and put it into jars and air them out a few seconds everyday for a week. Also make sure your fan isn't blowing directly on then while drying either

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. Flushed two weeks with PHd water only. And really only 3 days? The stems still bend with no snap at all, buds are soggy as hell.

And im 4 days into drying...

7. #7 Pot Professor Paul, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2014
    dry yer buds until they feel totally dry bro....."snap" the stem......if it bends its not dry enough to cure bro......do not put into jars until the stem can "snap" then, "burp" the jars everyday for 15 minutes. swirl the jar, then take lid off. do this for 1 week. then let sit for 1 week. cured!
    if your looking for goo buds then here is the trick....burping just right for just the right amount of time......if your curing and the buds start smelling funny or like hay, your not burping properly. also, only fill jars 3/4 th the way full with airy gaps between buds......dude you can fuck up yer cure and still pull off good smelling weed by burping!!!

8. Not sure i agree with the 3 day drying curve. Last thing u wanna do is get some moldy bud and have to throw it away.

9. #9 rain dancer, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    The hay smell happens when they are harvested too early or dry out too fast.

I always cut plants when fully matured. I can leave them on the line for 2-3 weeks after harvest and not get a hay smell.

Cure is simple, each person has their own way, whether to trim when wet or dry but the key is mason jars, darkness and proper temps

10. Oh and the fan is on the floor a good 2 feet under the hanging branches, going back and forth on low speed

11. Exactly what paul and cathy just said.

12. How much did u yield wet and how many plants?

13. the fan is the problem

14. Turn the fan off?

Its not pointing at them

15. im drying buds right now guys........temps 68 degrees.....humidity who nows should i bring in meter? yeah right my a/c set at 65 room temp 68 guys.....under my table in my bedroom is where im drying....lol i have sheets covering table for light deprevation lol. bedroom window is covered in plywood lol.... 8 inch scrubber runs 30/30 24/7 lol still reeks when room door opens....i have NO FAN RUNNING GUYS in about a week i will check buds...... they take a little longer to dry at this temp maybe like pokesmot said around 2-3 weeks and then ill trim off excess sugar leaves as i cut off all fan leaves prior to hanging UNLESS I HAVE SEEDS IM TRYING TO FULLY DEVELOP then ill leave branches full NO TRIMMING ANYTHING..... you want LONG SLOW DRY WITH LONG SLOW CURE RETAIN FLAVOR BURN PERFECTLY BLOW YER FRIENDS MINDS!!!!!

16. Glad you pointed this out. Ive been waiting for someone else to say it so I didnt hijack the thread...seems I always do....

I never use a fan and thats most likely how they dried out too fast :-/

17. dry in darkeness as close to as u can get. cure in same room same temp. actually you dont need a long slow cure if you grow yer buds right and stuff...but dry time hanging is key.....if u have cut yer buds during lights on, yer gonna end up with camp fire weed....sparkles crackles just like a camp fire and wet wood. doesnt want to burn. THIS IS BECAUSE THC IS A PROTECTANT FOR THE SEED SACK fif you harvest when the trichs are glistening "rainbowing"  dancing in the "light" u fucked up!!! camp fire weed

18. #18 Pot Professor Paul, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2014
    if u weigh yer plant wet....trim off all fan leaves and some sugar leaves and then say u get 500 grams.....divide by 10 this is about your net 50 grams now remove excess sugar leaves and stems leaving just buds you want to smoke....another 10-25% gone final weight 32 grams....

19. Ok no fan, harvest in the dark, dry in the dark, don't dry too fast. I harvested right before they were about to "wake up" for the day and they are drying in the dark. But you say im drying too fast, however they aren't dry at all after 4 days except sugar leave tips.

20. And i didn't weigh anything... Didn't really care to... :/