Looking to start my first grow soon

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Z42OM, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Sup all, 

So here's the story. I'm currently living with my rents, but my mums decided its about time I move out. (Im 19) .

I'm unemployed and stuffs, but I've started looking for work. (Not going so well).

Anyway, a few months back I was stupidly "planning" to grow in this house (my mums place). Actually, not in the house itself but on the roof top. (Cant be seen by neighbours). 

Furthermore, I now realise this was a shit idea. I was more or less just curious to see if I could grow one plant without tending to it much (or not at all).

And so , of course the poor seedling died after a few days of planting. It didn't even sprout leaves. 

So fail . 

Also, I live in the UK (lol) and we have SHIT weather. Especially because its coming up to winter now, I guess its going to be near impossible to grow outdoors. 
    And the seed I planted on my roof top - I didnt even know the genetics so for all I know it could've been 80/20 indica (or even a male). So I was just curious to see if it would grow or not. 

Although I HAVE herd of people growing outdoors in the UK's cold climate, its not impossible.
    But this is irrelevant as I'm starting to plan an indoor grow soon - once i move out . My mums given me a "deadline" which is New Years 2014. 

Hopefully I'l be renting with a friend or at least a fellow smoker, so my plan is to join forces with this person (cash wise) and do a sort of 50 / 50 deal growing. Maybe a bad idea? Please let me know

Anyways, I've been looking at a load of indoor grow plans online - closet grows and the like. 

This is what I'm aiming for, maybe just one - three plants at a time. 

So my questions are the following -

1. How much can I expect to invest in a SMALL indoor grow. Minimum amount of cash. (Not looking to achieve the highest quality).

2. Is it a good idea to do a 50 / 50 deal with someone I can trust?

3. I don't understand the ventilation system needed to grow. Is the smell going to be so strong that you can smell it through walls? I hope not because the ventilation system sounds expensive. 

4. Lights. I know you need CFL's . I dont mind spending up to about £60 on these, but thats really the max. Do I need one light per plant? Sounds dangerous, all that heat and electricity. I dont wana start a house fire lol , how can I prevent this danger?

5. Nutrients. "Go Sure Perlite"? . Is that OK to use? And how often do you use it?

6. If I do grow in a closet/wardrobe. Will be able to grow more than one at a time? Like I mentioned before, 1-3 at a time is what Im looking for. 

7. Yes Im a "noob" at growing. But I smoke quite a lot. And weed is faaaar too expensive in London.  And its almost always shit quality. And the buds are NEVER EVER EVER trimmed. 

Annoys me.

Anyway , I am aware that some of the stuff I said might sound stupid or whatever. 

So please no time wasting answers? Just let me know if this whole thing sounds legit for a first time grower. 

(Im looking to put a lot more planning into this grow, Im still on very early days, It's guna be the money part that will bring me down.) 

So professional advice is exactly what I need right now.

Maybe post a few images of basic closet grows?

Thanks for the help everyone,

Stay smokin'

:)

2. I just realised I should've posted this in Absolute Beginners. 

Which is annoying cus Ive been smoking for like 6 years , yet I dont know how to grow. 

3. 1. How much can I expect to invest in a SMALL indoor grow. Minimum amount of cash. (Not looking to achieve the highest quality).

If you dont care about discretion in any way, ~300$
    2. Is it a good idea to do a 50 / 50 deal with someone I can trust?

People advise against it, its up to you to decide if you can really trust them or not.

3. I don't understand the ventilation system needed to grow. Is the smell going to be so strong that you can smell it through walls? I hope not because the ventilation system sounds expensive. 

yea, it reeks an entire house up if you have 3 plants, if you buy a grow tent for around 75-1000+ the ventilation is easier to set up. and you need less CFM (how much air the fan replaces per minute, per foot)

4. Lights. I know you need CFL's . I dont mind spending up to about £60 on these, but thats really the max. Do I need one light per plant? Sounds dangerous, all that heat and electricity. I dont wana start a house fire lol , how can I prevent this danger?

100 watts per plant, plus 50 per additional plant, cfls have internal ballasts, and are designed to shut off before they explode...also they dont ever get hot enough to explode, mine have been on for...3 weeks 24 hours a day and i could touch it easily.     This also means you can get them VERY close to your plants...like within a few inches, you wanna keep them within 6 inches, perferably closer...just dont let them touch the plant...also CFLs are DIRT CHEAP to run...they add just dollars a month if your not running 1000w worth of em

5. Nutrients. "Go Sure Perlite"? . Is that OK to use? And how often do you use it?

Dunno if Go Sure is a brand name, or some saying...but yes, for a begginner the best thing to do is get a 3-part nutrient pack, look for General Hydroponics Flora series, or the equivlant from Advanced Nutrients, which is called Jungle Juice...they are both the same forumla JJ is slightly cheaper so i usually get that one.    You use nutrients for the first time after 3-4 weeks if your not using pre-ferted mix, but after that it all depends on your plant, ive nuted ever 2 days before and didnt get nute burn but my mix was diluted pretty good, youll have to do alot of reaserch on nutrients...but basically you water much more often than you use nutes...depending on what your growing in.
    6. If I do grow in a closet/wardrobe. Will be able to grow more than one at a time? Like I mentioned before, 1-3 at a time is what Im looking for. 

yea, i have 8 going in a closet

7. Yes Im a "noob" at growing. But I smoke quite a lot. And weed is faaaar too expensive in London.  And its almost always shit quality. And the buds are NEVER EVER EVER trimmed. 

Same reason alot of us started growing. weed is far to expensive, and almost always shit quality (reggie wise) everywhere man, lol.

4. IF you have a TINY but constant flow of cash coming in...then you can buy JUST some solo cups, some perlite, and some CFLS and start your grow...but you would  have to be careful with money...because youll need nutes after 2 weeks, and you need AT LEAST a liquid type pH meter, with pH up and pH down after a week, should start with it even...so i guess you could get away with ~50-70ish as an initial purchase than save up for what you need as you go...its a dangerous route to go...but i did it...and my grow has gotten SIGNIFICANTLY better after about 2 months...just keep adding shit you need and soon youll have it all.

5. bump.

just want to know how its going? 

6. if you need funds, grow cheese or amnesia, sell the buds off a crop or two

7. Ahhhh i dont see this going well.My adviceGet job/earn a living>establish living arrangements>grow up a bit>possibly grow marijuana in futureSent from my HTCEVOV4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. call me mr. negative.... but.... sleep on this for a few nights....
    its a pretty big investment if you dont have a job, and its not necissarily "easy" so you gotta be able to give it your all.
    or... at least a lil suttin suttin.

if you are growing small amounts, you arent going to make your money back, and its not going to last ya long. better to save your money, wait till a more prime situation comes about and then make the move. i wouldnt suggest going through all this effort and shit unless you plan on yielding at least 2-3 oz every 4 months or so... i mean, lets be real.
    just my 2 cents.