Looking to get started my next paycheck, guide me brothers

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by HueBear, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Hi all! I get paid next week and after bills and all, I'm going to have a whopping $79.05 left (just started a new job; been broke for a minute)

However, I get paid weekly and can invest a little amount each week.

I have a few questions/comments:
    1. I am gonna get 5 auto feminized seeds.
    2. What do I need to get to get started? I've been reading so much for months and I have pages of notes and bookmarks regarding all of this, but there's soooo much science I'm new to (I have never planted anything, legal or otherwise. I'm a fullstack web dev lol) and I don't even know what's the "right way"
    3. Please keep in mind I'm very broke and I'm looking for the cheapest way to get started while I'm saving up my money and recovering from unemployment, I'm totally cool if my first grow yields less than an ounce, I just want to learn and get started asap
    4. This is an indoor grow

Guide me guys... I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing no matter how much I read. I'm a very kinesthetic learner, maybe interacting with people and hearing their real examples will make it sound easier.

Thanks all~ much love

2. Read through some grow journals and decide which way you want to grow. Theres true hydro (DWC, RDWC, ebb and flow, NFT, Flood and drain, aeroponics, etc). I grow in coco, but treat it like hydro with multiple feeds per day in a drain to waste setup. The same can be done with peat moss. Then there’s traditional soil which can be all organically amended and require water only for awhile and top dressing or teas for added nutes once the soil uses its supply.

Soil2Coco’s Indoor Multi Strain Journal

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. I suggest you save for a few months. $79.05 won't even buy a good light, let alone nutrients, medium, fans, pots, meters, etc., etc., etc. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. 79$ will buy pots a fan medium and nutrients, won’t buy a light though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. i spend more on bloom feed
    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Save your money a little while longer, dig yourself out of that financial hole, in the meantime you could try growing tomatoes and peppers first just to get some practice. If all goes well... Make some salsa... Everybody likes nachos right?

I'm knee deep in a java+angular project myself.

Editing to add: not trying to be mean or talk down, but indoor growing requires good lights and good lights cost money and run up the power bill a little. It's all part of the game.

7. To all saying I can't afford everything:
    Thanks for the advice :) I knew I wasn't going to be able to afford all, but I didn't know if I could *start* before early-veg started and buy it as necessary, but I'll just save and get it all at once

8. In my experience it's best to start with the good stuff, otherwise it could be a risky waste of time, unless you're legal to grow. Then it's just a waste of time.

• Like Like x 1
  9. there is no cheap way to "grow right", with $80 you arent even going to afford a decent light let alone all the supporting products you need like nutrients (GO go box is like 30 bucks along and only grows me a handful of plants before stuff starts to get low and or run out), growing medium, electronics, etc there is a lot and 80 bucks just aint gonna cut it.

youll probably need closer to $500 to really get started properly.

for lighting id recommend picking up a 600w galaxy hydro led ligth from amazon, theyre about 130 shipped and ive been getting awesome results from mine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. yeah I don't expect to be able to grow with $80, but I didn't know if I could start with seeds and a few cheaper things to start the grow and each paycheck I can just get a little more but the more I research the more I find that's not going to happen

I put myself together a little shopping list and my total right now is looking at $639, does this sound realistic to you (gonna start with a smaller-scale LED grow with galaxyhydro 600W, and other "extras" like a carbon scrubber, some ona gel, and an electrical timer so my plants can get rest and I'm also hoping to go with bubbleponics for a faster & better grow)

11. $139.00
    iPower 600 Watt HPS MH Digital Dimmable Grow Light System Kits Air Cooled Reflector Hood Set hid t5 led ballast hydroponic growing lights bulb lamp kit fixture equipment 600w 1000w 400w timer outlet horticulture garden greenhouse lighting marijuana weed c | 50% Off Discount Hydroponic Supplies

$30.00
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/General-...bo-Fertilizer-set-1-Quart-Pack-of-3/548507550

$1.54 a pot
    247Garden 5-Gallon Square Aeration Fabric Pot Planting Grow Bag w/Handles (Black)

Add in $10-$20 for soil, now your under $200, with 3 or 4 plants and all the stuff i shared if you do it right you could grow close to a pound, i know this because this is the same setup i have going now, a different brand of hps light but still its 600w and growing with the gh trio, the only difference is i didnt grow with fabric pots, i grew with 5gal plastic buckets which is not good for airation, i grew 8 ounces with 3 plants last harvest, ya im no pro but with this setup you will see decent results

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Don’t get that light. It’s probably only 150 real watts which will do maybe two plants. Go for a 600 watt HPS/MH or quantum board. The HPS produces way more dense and crystal covered buds than those Chinese LEDs. Bubble buckets are a big undertaking for a new grower as well. Stick with soil for your first grow, or if you want hydro growth with a little more ease try coco. Root rot sets in quick with bubble buckets, especially in the summer heat.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Whiteguy gave some great advice

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. I think i have the sunpro? I cant remember, i havent looked at the brand since i bought it, it was $250 new, has done me good, cant wait to be able to afford some quantom boards, but im glad i have the little setup i have now so i can learn along the way before i get real serious and start sinking some money in my grows

• Like Like x 1
  16. IMHO if your going to get an led period, you should go just straight to quantum, if not than stick with the mh/hps lights, i really like them myself, i bought a platinum 600 last year, i was not impressed and decided to not even use it past veg

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Its very possible to start off with 80USD, my current setup (although its not good) cost me around about 80USD

ive got 2 x 85W 6500k CFLs my plants enjoy it, i see good growth daily. they were 20$ each
    i bought a coco brick & some perlite and mixed everything by hand myself. this cost me 6$
    some basic high N nute for veg and 2 pots, another 10$

I too am waiting to get paid next week so i can pickup some mylar, a PH meter and some more nutes.

18. so you're saying I could grow close to a pound with less than $200?
    if so, appreciate u brother

I do have some security concerns regarding HPS
    keep in mind I'm very new and have NO IDEA what the fuck I'm talking about, I just write down notes and whatever opinion my brain forms, sticks, so I'm trying to gather new perspectives

so from what I understand, HPS lights raise electricity bills and have shorter lifetimes. now if I have a sudden spike in electricity prices but I still pay it on time and the full amount, is anybody gonna have questions for me? I don't currently reside in a legal state, I'm working on my citizenship in Canada lol

edit: when I say "grow close to a pound for less than $200", I know that means it doesn't include the grow tent and other extras like a carbon filter, so I know it's gonna be looking like more than that, but if I can avoid something as hefty as $700, that'd be fan-fucking-tastic

19. If you have a closet buy you some panda film and line it with that, exhaust fans and carbons filters arent that expensive, like $60, your electric bill wont spike that much higher, like $30 a month, no thats not enough to grab any attention, and when i say a pound thats if you do everything right to a t, you’ll prob just end up getting around 5 to 8 ounces, which is good for a begginer, do alot of research on feeding, watering, airation, Co2, temperatures for starters, these are all things to help build your yield, but yeah all together with 600w hps, soil and perlite, nutrients, exhaust fan, closet lined with panda film, and fabric pots your looking at under $300 for a total setup, do led later if you want, but youll get better results with a 600w hps for the price, you wont find any led that puts out 600 true watts for under $150, and an mh/hps bulb wont burn out for awhile, you can prob get close to 10 good grows if not more before they start to burn out on you, for a begginer thats about 4 years only because you prob dont have down a perpetual grow going on which has your lights going all year round, by the time your ready to get an led youll be ready for one cause you will be a good enough grower to use all that led light with all your training methods to get its full potential

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. i hightly recommend an LED. Dont get an HPS, they are good and grow good weed but the technology is so old compared to what is out there today.

if you dont want to get a quality blurple LED you could get a high quality COB LED. A little more expensive than a HPS initially but over time will end up being cheaper not having to replace bulbs every 3-4 months..they need to be replaced EVERY GROW.(well they dont "need" to be as in they burn out after each grow but they lose their lumens and brightness over time and im not sure about the newer technology but all my friends have always replaced their bulbs after each grow)

You could even opt for a CMH, all of these perform comparable to HPS (not counting light penetration hps IS superior in penetration) without the heat of an HID.

HPS is old technology, its like driving a carbureted vehicle in the age of fuel injection.

im sure some people will disagree with me but its the truth.