Looking to get a macbook pro with retina?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by smokinbudzzz, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Was just wondering if anybody thinks it's worth it to pay more for the retina version? Also when do you think it's going to drop in price? By Christmas? I also want to get the 16 gig version if i decide to buy this macbook pro with retina.

2. what is the 16 gig version? im assuming that applies to memory but i wasnt aware they made a MBPretina with 16 gig of memory..?

Anyways, if you have the money, snatch one up, apple continues to assert their complete dominance in the laptop market with the new MBP, so many features, that thing is literally packed full of great new features that were holding the previous MBP's back, HDMI port, usb 3.0, 2 thunderbolt ports.

The screen is absolutely sexy, its the equivilant of going from an ipod touch screen, to an iphone or ipod touch 4th gen, its just so much crisper and gorgeous. Ifyou can afford the 15" version, get it.

the hardware specs are amazing too.

3. I do have the money for it and i plan on buying it from the apple site where you can upgrade it to 16 gigs of ram. It comes with 8 gigs already. But for 3,000 i could buy a wicked alienware laptop but i really like the macbook pros and already have a top of the line pc desktop. I had a imac that i loved and would like to go back to mac just for the whole computing experience. So tired of windows lol. When do you think the macbook pro with retina will go down in price? Why buy it now if it goes down in price for Christmas or boxing day right?

4. yeah im not sure when it was released and i cant say for sure when it will drop in price, but black friday (thats before xmas.. rite?) and probably xmas you will see it drop, im not sure how MUCH it will drop so i dont really wanna guess but, the price isnt gonna go up thats for sure.

5. If it goes down in price on black Friday that's perfect. My b-day is November 19th and that would be a nice little present for myself haha :)

6. Anyone else have a macbook pro with retina and if so what are you're thoughts on it? I dont want to shell out $3,000 without doing my research on the product.

7. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0-X1-1lk-Q]Apple Macbook Retina Display Prank - Ownage Pranks - YouTube[/ame]

8. #8 r3deye, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2012
    I'd bank on Black Friday for a "bargain". Just so you know, you can get 3D display PC for under 2 grand...just food for thought. Macs are amazing in their own way though.

9. [quote name='"smokinbudzzz"']

I do have the money for it and i plan on buying it from the apple site where you can upgrade it to 16 gigs of ram. It comes with 8 gigs already. But for 3,000 i could buy a wicked alienware laptop but i really like the macbook pros and already have a top of the line pc desktop. I had a imac that i loved and would like to go back to mac just for the whole computing experience. So tired of windows lol. When do you think the macbook pro with retina will go down in price? Why buy it now if it goes down in price for Christmas or boxing day right?[/quote]

Nah don't buy alienware. They're owned by Dell :eek:

10. ^^^ not to mention you could more than likely find a nice MSI made laptop with just as much if not more power for less

11. Maybe ill just get a imac for the same price with better specs.

3.4GHz intel core i7
    15 gigs of ram
    256GB solid state drive
    AMD radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5

I really want a computer to last me 5-6 years without having much issues with it and i heard macbook pros only tend to last 2-3 years before they conk out.

12. cant go wrong with an imac either, just get a sexy mac display and you will still have that retina action, Thunderbolt display is what i would recommend but itll set ya back a pretty penny.

Also, macbooks last way beyond 2-3 years, dunno where you heard that. i got mine 2 years ago and it is running beautifully.

13. If you are well versed with Pc builds, you should seriously build your own rig. The satisfaction is amazing, plus you can tailor it for your needs at less than cost of same spec branded pc off shelf.

Building it aint hard either. :)

14. [quote name='"r3deye"']If you are well versed with Pc builds, you should seriously build your own rig. The satisfaction is amazing, plus you can tailor it for your needs at less than cost of same spec branded pc off shelf.

Building it aint hard either. :)[/quote]

Easy as Legos. It's choosing parts that's hard.

15. Yeah i know how to build computers as i helped my friend build his. Just finding all the components that are compatible with each other was kind of a pain in the ass. But like i said im kinda sick of windows and would like to switch over to mac os :) mac os has a much better computer experience overall in my opinion. 1 thing i love about windows is you have to do all the maintenance on it like defragmentation and disk clean-ups error checking which you can't do on mac os i think? When macs slow down i have no clue on how to speed it up where on a PC i know exactly where to look to find the problem.

16. How does the intel quad core Xeon compare to the intel i7 processor? I'm looking at the mac pros and thats the processor in them. To be honest i dont know shit about the intel quad core xeon processor lol. Also does the mac pro come with a screen or do you have to buy the $1000 mac cinema display separate? Kinda thinking about getting a mac pro since you can upgrade most of the components in it unlike a imac or a macbook pro.

17. any harddrive OS can be defragged

Coriolis Systems :: Products :: iDefrag

How to speed up a mac after a few months/year of use?

here is how..

http://jimmitchell.org/yasu/

you download that and run it. Also a defrag doesnt hurt. Also deleting old files n shit obviously, thats really about it tbh. All those speed up your pc programs for windows aren't really all they are cracked up to be

or if you really feel you need to find a way to get some extra performance you can buy a few bigger sticks of ram for your mac laptop which is very easily inserted. You can also purchase an SSD replacement for the HDD that macbooks come standard with, aswell as an aftermarket battery to improve battery life once they begin to deteriorate, they are much better with capacity and such.

outof the places you can buy replacement mac parts, this site takes the cake by far.

Performance Upgrades; FireWire USB SATA Storage; Memory, more at OWC

18. Lol yea not too sure on the 'tune up' aspect of macs either.

19. Im hearing a new mac pro will come out in 2013 so maybe ill just save some extra cash and buy that.

20. new mac pro is the retina display lol. idk why you would say you wanna save money then say u gonna wait til next year n buy the new one, which means if you still wanna save money you gonna be waiting a year or maybe 2 beyond its release. New mac pros come out every year fyi.

@ r3deye, yea tune ups dont really work on any system, its all bs, but "clean up" programs do indeed work.