Looking into growing Autos - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Corkwheats, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Hi Guys,

I live way up North - U.P. of Michigan.
    We have a short outdoor growing season.
    I have been successful growing indoors, and will continue to do so.
    But, I'd really love to take advantage of Mother Nature.
    I CAN NOT grow outdoors for a spell, and then bring them in for Flower (too many risks!).
    So, I'm considering growing some Autos from beginning to harvest outside.
    Questions:

1. Can I grow them in 2 gallon pots?
    2. What are some really good strains of Autos - that are productive & potent?
    3. How much yield (approx.) will you get from an Auto grown outdoors in super soil?

Thanks!

2. I always use 3 gal. pots. Plants are shorties and you get about an ounce a plant.

3. Before you go anywhere or do anything with autos stop by this place. You'll thank me later pal

Automatics make good Organic sinse

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thanks Fellas,

What strains, and where to find them would be my next question.
    The fellow Vets that I grow for up here like the Heavy Hitting (high THC) stuff.
    From what I’ve read, that may be somewhat harder to come by.
    I’m really psyched about doing these Autos outdoors.
    I was just hopped to this concept yesterday by a friend.
    But darn - can’t clone them!
    I guess I’ll just have to find a great place to buy potent/productive seeds!
    Help! (Thanks!)

5. Go to North Atlantic seed company and look under Auto seeds, they have a few that produce 26 percent thc from alot of different breeders including Barney's Auto seeds are on there too. Quick turnaround time on shipping.

6. Thanks! I’ll do that. I’ve purchased from them before - and, yes, the speedy delivery was impressive. I will check it out.

7. You can also fool standard photoperiods into finishing early
    Run them on 24-0 till July 15th for a Oct 1st finish (2 weeks early)
    July 1st for a Sept 15th finish. (4 weeks early)

Both allow a 10 week flower window. Just hang a light over them to keep them awake at night.
    23 watt CFLs are plenty.
    Trying force much sooner then that into summer gives the plant time to try and reveg and it stalls.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Only auto breeder ive seen good results from is Mephisto but their gear is very hard to get.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. 1: you can try these I did for years but bigger size means better climate protection/ against heat

2: Most are 'Good' few breeders would waste their time crossing crap ...but does happen I shop THC bomb auto...its a white widow plus auto in Europe at least

3: depends on your style I run 15-30 grams per plant

good luck

10. I just ordered some mephisto seeds to try later, double grape, mango smile, northern cheese haze. If you go to the mephisto web page and it will show other companies that carry there seeds, click on seedsforme and you can get some Auto seeds that are from mephisto.

11. Thanks!

12. So, basically, these Autoflowers may be a touch lower in THC, and you’ll most likely average 1 oz. - 2 oz. per plant?
    That’s do-able. I suppose the only bummer is you can’t clone them - have to keep buying more seeds.
    But, I think it may fit for my outdoor grow up here.
    As usual, I’m learning lots on here!
    Oh......3 gallon pots will work for most of these?

13. Yeah the only good use for autoflowers i know of is conditions like yours. 3 gallon should be good. Fabric pots are best.

14. Well, maybe I’m asking too many questions (I’m bad about that).
    But....I’ve now had 2 different (local) experienced growers basically tell me that Autoflowers are crap.
    They warned me against fooling around with them.
    So, I’m still mulling this over.
    Thanks for all the input!

15. Auto yield can vary greatly.
    I've gotten between 1/2 oz and 16 oz from a single auto in hydro, with an average of about 4 oz per plant.
    Mephisto is my favorite breeder, but there are many good ones.

16. 3 gallon pots are an ideal size for most autos.
    50/40/10 sativa, indica, ruderalis crosses will provide taller plants with denser buds, especially when incorporating LST. Water the outside perimeter of the container. Roots seek out pockets of oxygen which promotes faster root growth and larger yields, over all. Boost P & K and cut the N out during flowering. Only add N if the plant somehow begins to yellow in the newly forming growth. Epsom salt (1 tbsp/gallon of water, pHed after adding the epsom salt) will help from start to finish...
    Happy growing!

Sent from my moto e6 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. There is no definitive answer to max yield, as all autos are different...I am only suggesting the best choice of cross to grow and methods and amendments to increase your overall yield.
    Let me know if you run into any issues...

18. I dont like autos.

My autos...
    IMG_4158.JPG

My photos....
    P3020285.JPG

Different tents but both are 5x5 and both were the same 1000w HPS light (new bulb both grows). Yield was actually somewhat similar but photoperiod quality and bud size was MUCH better than the autos.

19. I've only grown three autos before and they never amounted to much. They were potent, but small and bonsai...
    I've just heard that the newer autos were much bigger, but I haven't grown an auto, indoors or out in 15 years or longer...I had one Lowrider"2 x AK-47seed that was purchased from a seed bank in Amsterdam that was only like 8" tall! It was potent af, but I got an 1/8 off of it...that was probably 2006-2007. Grew two bag seeds that turned out to be autos, shortly thereafter that were both only about 18" tall... Unknown lineage, obviously and they were nowhere near as potent as the smaller named cross...
    I have some going how, bag seeds, that may be autos...time will tell...

20. Yeah todays autos potency is probably about 20-25% lower than their photoperiod counterparts. Yield is getting better but while my autos were 70% 1-4 gram buds and 30% larf the photos are 70% 2-9 gram buds and 30% larf but the larf is also better than the larf from the autos. The photo larf is fully developed and just as frosty as the tops, the auto larf was underdeveloped and not as good as the tops. Both grows used the same amount of electricity and soil. The photos obviously take longer but the 18/6 and 12/12 schedules offset the additional time vs running 20/4 for autos.