Looking Into A Gfx Card Update - Need Opinions

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by tflga, Jun 17, 2013.

1. #1 tflga, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013
    Hey guys I'm looking to update my card. I wasn't sure with some of the newer cards if they're compatible with my PC or not .. here are the specs - 

mb - asus m4a785-m amd 785g chipset

nvidia geforce gtx 465 1gb factory overclock  single card

quad core 955 amd black edition phenom 

I had a reference to a link a few months ago when i posted about the same question but ive long since lost the link - it took me to a gfx card benchmark website. 

its a good card its just been over 2  years since ive gotten any sort of update, except for RAM

2. #2 BP to the DP, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013
    As long as your motherboard supports at least PCIe 2.0 you should be good.

What kind of power supply do you have? If you get a powerful card then you might need a new psu.

Edit: your motherboard has PCIe 2.0, so it sound be compatible.

As for your new card, how much are you looking to spend?

Sent from my Samsung GS4 SCH-I545

Thanks for the response. Anywhere from 180$ - 300$. 

my psu is 750 watt thermaltake tr2

4. #4 BP to the DP, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2013
    The more you spend, the better card you're gonna get.

I'm suggesting only EVGA cards because they have great customer servicing and warranty, and I don't usually mess around with AMD cards so I don't know too much about them.

For $300 after rebate, this is probably the best you're gonna get.
    This card is a 660 Ti FTW LE, pretty much it's a fully loaded 660.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130822

This card is $170 after rebate, it's a 650 Ti SuperClocked. For about $25 more, though, you can get a base 660 that is a bit better.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130910 Also, an HD7850 is around the same price but outperforms the 650.

5. \\

nice, its fairly affordable too. i have a 50$ gift card for newegg as well, awesome....if anyone else has any more suggestions send them my way!

6. Not really, I have the next step up from that card and even at max fan speed it's not all that loud. It's not exactly quiet, but during gaming I don't really notice it.

Also the fan exhausts hot air out the back of the case instead of just stirring it around, which is a huge plus imo.

Sent from my Samsung GS4 SCH-I545

7. #8 Ẅest Čoast, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2013
    The single fan setups usually have a sealed casing over the fan/heatsink. You will accumulate dust faster, as it gets trapped easier in encased fan setup. With the dual fan setup, the fans are usually in a "open" configuration, trapping less dust. A case with proper cooling setup will exhaust the heat via side fan no problem. With that in mind, my question to OP is what kind of case do you have? Not only do you have to keep the air flow in mind, but also the size of these cards. These cards range from 9-11" in length. Make sure they will fit by measuring the space from the mounting bracket over the pcie slot to the hard drive rack. You should have good 12" of clearance.

By the way, I can't find a single review on the EVGA 02G-P4-3665-KR. The EVGA 02G-P4-3658-KR on the other hand has good reviews. Has good performance, but a few people are saying it runs hot.

8. #9 tflga, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2013

what difference does it make whether its an asus or evga

I have a gtx 465 right now, [​IMG]

it runs fairly hot and sort of loud as it is. so heat and noise wouldnt bother me much. my case is pretty "open" i guess, you could say. 

cooler master case haf 922 or 992 

edit: here is a photo  [​IMG]

pretty large open case. my wires are all tied so there is lots of leg room 

9. BP suggested a good card, the Ti on the end of anything gives it similar specs to the next card up.

(eg. 660 Ti ~similar performance to a low clocked 670) If you're able to, see if there's a 660 Ti Boost that can fit into your budget. That should handle most games you'll see for a fair bit pretty well without adding too much cost to you.

Also, tflga I have that exact same case. It's incredible to look at and it's spacious as hell, but it does tend to gather quite a lot of dust (esp. near the front intake fan)

aw hell yea

you have the same case as me :)

yeah its a great case. im behind on cleaning it :/

any other recommendations? that TI looks pretty good im just curious cause there are no reviews for it 

12. Haha I don't see why you're upgrading?  I'm way too cheap for that, still running my 8600 GTS from like 5 years ago.  Of course I don't game with it.

13. GTX 770, Ultra for atleast another year.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. The GTX 760 is probably the best bang for the buck at the moment. GTX 770 is the way to go if you're willing to invest a bit more.