Looking for some first time input.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by QuietRiot34, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Hello all,

Ive been creeping for quite sometime. Finally deciding to post to maybe get alittle advice. Im starting a little closet grow project and would like any and all advice. Ill be growing two plants and im looking to see if my setup is efficient enough. I was going to post pictures of what i have but it wont let me choose a file from my android phone. Anyhow..

Lighting: I will be running five lights at a time. Four 100 watt soft white ecosmart CFLs, and a 125 watt ecosmart bright white LED. Will this be good enough for two plants? I also have 100 watt Daylight ecosmart CFLs for the veg and flowering stages. Which is better for which stage?

Soil: I bought some Gardeners Pride potting soil as it was the only stuff i could find that had no additional chemicals or additives. To go with that ill be using some MG Perlite. It says enriched with "plant food" so i may need to dump it? Ill be using what looks like 2.5 gallon pots and using auto seeds from attitude.

Closet is probably 2x8 and its walls are foiled. There will be two fans going and the temp with lights on stay right around 80F. I have tons of odor eliminating product for when it comes time although im curious to know if any of you have used these Hamilton Beach TrueAir plug in sytems? Looks very nice. Costs me 20ish bucks with a year worth of carbon filters. Has its own little fan it sucks air through a carbon filter and has the option of putting out scents. Thought it was pretty nice for a carbon plug in filter?

Im getting longwinded and its about time to light up. If you need anymore information just ask. Opinions and advuce welcomed. I appreciate it fellows!

2. Couple views. Feel free to chime in.

3. U shud just paint the walls flat white. Sounds koo tho. What chemical are u going to use to bud? Cfls? Those go into those screw in light fixtures right?

4. The walls are already flat white but they now are foiled. Yes CFLs do go into regular light fixtures. Im not sure what nutes to get, but would rather stick to a walmart,home depot, or lowes nute purchase. Im already waiting for seeds. I dont want to wait for nutes too.

5. [quote name='"QuietRiot34"']The walls are already flat white but they now are foiled. Yes CFLs do go into regular light fixtures. Im not sure what nutes to get, but would rather stick to a walmart,home depot, or lowes nute purchase. Im already waiting for seeds. I dont want to wait for nutes too.[/quote]

Don't listen to him. Foil is way better than just flat white walls, helps reflect light into those hard to reach bud growths. Even better than foil is one of those 3$ survival heat blankets at wallmart. Give that a try if you want:)
    As far as dirt goes, go with fox farms ocean forest for now. Experienced growers tend to mix up their own soil months before hand and let it all break down and stuff. Fox farms works great also, most home depots/wallmarts carry them.

If this is your first grow just go with tomato nutes for now. Home depot carrys dr.earth tomato fert for both flowering and veg.

6. Do you know if cfls are any good for budding? My first grow I used 100watt indoor/outdoor halogens one per plant dey only cost lyk $8 about two feet away my frends thot I waz trippin till they saw my buds

7. I actually looked around for fox farms and never saw it. When you say tomato nutes, what brand or product?

8. [quote name='"ImBurnt"']

Don't listen to him. Foil is way better than just flat white walls, helps reflect light into those hard to reach bud growths. Even better than foil is one of those 3$ survival heat blankets at wallmart. Give that a try if you want:)
    As far as dirt goes, go with fox farms ocean forest for now. Experienced growers tend to mix up their own soil months before hand and let it all break down and stuff. Fox farms works great also, most home depots/wallmarts carry them.

If this is your first grow just go with tomato nutes for now. Home depot carrys dr.earth tomato fert for both flowering and veg.[/quote]

Using foil actually creates hot spots in your grow area so that would be the last thing any experienced grower would use. If you are going to use tomato ferts then don't complain when you produce poor weed. If you want a good crop you don't want to scrimp on some of the essentials. Bio bizz soils and nutes are aimed at growing weed and there relatively cheap. So if i was you i wouldn't listen to imburnt.....

9. #9 ImBurnt, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2012
    [quote name='"Goldennugg"']

Using foil actually creates hot spots in your grow area so that would be the last thing any experienced grower would use. If you are going to use tomato ferts then don't complain when you produce poor weed. If you want a good crop you don't want to scrimp on some of the essentials. Bio bizz soils and nutes are aimed at growing weed and there relatively cheap. So if i was you i wouldn't listen to imburnt.....[/quote]

Don't listen to me, you're right. I'm still on my first season, I know just as little as he does. But quite a few people have recommended tomato nutes for people that are going cheap. And I was just tryin to help a brother out. I'm interested in this bio bizz stuff, how expensive is it? What's npk?? And who carrys it? Any chains?

10. [quote name='"ImBurnt"']

Don't listen to me, you're right. I'm still on my first season, I know just as little as he does. But quite a few people have recommended tomato nutes for people that are going cheap. And I was just tryin to help a brother out. I'm interested in this bio bizz stuff, how expensive is it? What's npk?? And who carrys it? Any chains?[/quote]

There are plenty of suppliers of bio bizz products online in the USA and UK. I have bio grow npk 4.0/3.0/6.0, bio bloom 2.0/6.0/3.5, also i got stimulaters, root juice, bio heaven, and top max. Prices are around £10 a litre on the grow and bloom, root juice is £10 per 250ml, top max £10 per 500ml, and bio heaven £14.50 per 250ml. You don't need to add much tho, especially with the additives.....

11. The reflectivity of tin foil is something like 75%... white flat white paint is something like 82% so I would lose the tin foil and also tin foil can create hot spots as Goldenugg stated. Not sure the air filtration you bought Hamilton Beach TrueAir plug in is going to handle the smell once flowering is under way. Google it and see if anyone else has had an experience with that product.
    Budget nute; Check into Espoma Organic Plant food (5-3-3)...sold at Walmart, Lowes and Home Depot for around $10 a bag. Supposed to be a very good all around food. See it at
    All Natural Organic Plant Food for Organic Gardening
    You would still need to come up with something for bloom, but there loads of those out there.
    Good luck and hope it all works out!
    Cheers;
    Jake

12. I have alot of other things ready free for the odor beside just the TrueAir. Any idea what to get for bloom? Im all ears to any of you more experienced cultivators.

13. Anyone? Also are the lights sufficient?

14. #14 Olde School, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
    I've never seen a 100W actual CFL, and you mentioned Ecosmart, so I'm assuming these are 23W actual. The bright white & daylight (check Kelvin rating on fine print, s/b around 6500) is best for vegetative growth, and soft white (around 2900K) is best for bloom. I have seen 125W actual CFL's but they use a mogul socket and are not compatible with economy reflectors and normal light sockets. Best to check the actual wattage rating of the bulb and not the equivalent light output.

Nutes - I've used General Hydroponics Flora forever & never had a reason to look elsewhere, but there are tons of other cheaper products on the market. Check this link from another thread earlier today - http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/1060293-begginer-seeking-any-advice.html
    Pay close attention to ShovaBlaster's recommendation for GH MaxiBloom, next to last post. Lots of other options here too.
    Foil - ditto for Jake & Goldennugg - I was visiting my friendly neighborhood grow store one day awhile back & the manager was playing with an Extech light meter. He had a little demo set up with paint, foil, mylar & a new product called Orca grow film - looks like heavy mil white plastic but it's not. The meter proved conclusively & scientifically that flat white paint is better than foil, but not as good as mylar. The Orca kicked all their asses, including mylar. Save the foil for baking your potatoes!!!

Odors - I believe the Hamilton Beach is going to be under-sized for anything bigger than a PC chassis grow. Look on here for the do-it-yourself section, several good posts on building a good carbon scrubber. Here's one link:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/518723-*diy*-carbon-scrubber-6-flange.html

Bestaluck to ya

15. [quote name='"Olde School"']

I've never seen a 100W actual CFL, and you mentioned Ecosmart, so I'm assuming these are 23W actual. The bright white & daylight (check Kelvin rating on fine print, s/b around 6500) is best for vegetative growth, and soft white (around 2900K) is best for bloom. I have seen 125W actual CFL's but they use a mogul socket and are not compatible with economy reflectors and normal light sockets. Best to check the actual wattage rating of the bulb and not the equivalent light output.

Nutes - I've used General Hydroponics Flora forever & never had a reason to look elsewhere, but there are tons of other cheaper products on the market. Check this link from another thread earlier today - http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/1060293-begginer-seeking-any-advice.html
    Pay close attention to ShovaBlaster's recommendation for GH MaxiBloom, next to last post. Lots of other options here too.
    Foil - ditto for Jake & Goldennugg - I was visiting my friendly neighborhood grow store one day awhile back & the manager was playing with an Extech light meter. He had a little demo set up with paint, foil, mylar & a new product called Orca grow film - looks like heavy mil white plastic but it's not. The meter proved conclusively & scientifically that flat white paint is better than foil, but not as good as mylar. The Orca kicked all their asses, including mylar. Save the foil for baking your potatoes!!!

Odors - I believe the Hamilton Beach is going to be under-sized for anything bigger than a PC chassis grow. Look on here for the do-it-yourself section, several good posts on building a good carbon scrubber. Here's one link:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/518723-%2Adiy%2A-carbon-scrubber-6-flange.html

Bestaluck to ya[/quote]
    What about survival blanket? The reflective ones...better than cream colored PC metal??

16. [quote name='"ImBurnt"']
    What about survival blanket? The reflective ones...better than cream colored PC metal??[/quote]

A little bit of advise imburnt I've noticed you popping up with a lot of ?s on a few of people's threads that are just starting out.. It's best if you start your own thread and ask all the ?s you need answers for. Although it's probably not your intention and don't take this the wrong way but it's a little rude to try get all your own answers by asking ?s on someone else's thread unless you also have answers for there's.. there are plenty of threads that have been set up on gc that you can ask away on. Peace

17. [quote name='"Goldennugg"']

A little bit of advise imburnt I've noticed you popping up with a lot of ?s on a few of people's threads that are just starting out.. It's best if you start your own thread and ask all the ?s you need answers for. Although it's probably not your intention and don't take this the wrong way but it's a little rude to try get all your own answers by asking ?s on someone else's thread unless you also have answers for there's.. there are plenty of threads that have been set up on gc that you can ask away on. Peace[/quote]

It gets not only info to them, but info to me. And its all related to his original question. It's a forum thread. Calm down mate:)

18. I dont mind the question asking at all. More for me to read and learn aswell!

ForumRunner_20120617_091832.png

ForumRunner_20120617_091847.png

ForumRunner_20120617_091858.png

These are my lights.

19. Those are 23 watt CFLs.

20. The last one is 24 watt :laughing: