Looking for some advice on a grow.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by JWicksy, Sep 18, 2012.

1. I'm looking to start a setup with a grow tent, I have a setup I think might work but am looking to make sure it will be good before I buy.

Grow Tent - $130
    125W CFL & Hood - $90
    4'' Inline Duct Fan - $100
    4'' x 25' Ducting - $23

I was also going to buy a 200W bulb and use it in the hood and then run the 125 off a normal lamp plug hanging as well.

I was hoping to grow 4 plants in there, wasn't sure if the lighting would be any good? I'd really like to use CFL's.​

2. missing information to make a informed decision.

1. dimensions of grow tent
    2. cfm of in line fan

3. That is a good setup except for the light IMO. if you are trying to do 4 plants that most likely will not work.

Try to do at least 50w per square foot....so in your case you need roughly 800watts....but that is an overstatement.

You are better off going with a 400-600w HID kit

Its not missing....just click on the links...

4x4 tent and 192 cfm fan

4. Two 400 watt MH/HPS, two 600 watt MH/HPS or a 1000 watt MH/HPS would work good for that. I would advise against the cfls for that though. 4 inch ducting may work, but most cool tubes are compatible with 6 inch.

5. 2 600w?

1200 watts in a 4x4 area is way too much...

6. There is no such thing as too much light when you are trying to copy the sun.

7. except when the light is close to the plants and you have to have a huge fan to get rid of all the heat and the risk of burning the leaves on your plants because of so much heat and light....... #justsayin

8. that would actually be brighter than what the sun gets down here. but with the right ventilation... I believe light bleached albino buds sell quite well :p

9. You obviously have no experience with cool tube reflectors. My plants are 4 inches away from my 400 watt hps light and temps are under 80 degrees. I'm not quite sure how you figure that they will just all of the sudden burn. A cool tube will pull the heat directly from the source making your statement invalid.

10. yeah....400w.....

but you are talking about TRIPLING that.

Go ahead and try putting 1200watts 4 inches from a plant....see what happens....

[​IMG]

11. [quote name='Project ICE']yeah....400w.....

but you are talking about TRIPLING that.

Go ahead and try putting 1200watts 4 inches from a plant....see what happens....

Like I just said, you have no experience using cool tube reflectors. I have had my plants 4 inches away from my 600 watt hps also and no burning. It is because the cool tube pulls the heat directly from the source. And no you do not have 1200 watts directly 4 inches away from the plant. That would be like stacking them on top of each other. Instead most people will have them side by side and the air ducts running from one to the next to remove all of the heat. Again, that is your lack of experience talking.

12. #12 Project ICE, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2012
    Like I just said, you have no experience using cool tube reflectors. I have had my plants 4 inches away from my 600 watt hps also and no burning. It is because the cool tube pulls the heat directly from the source. And no you do not have 1200 watts directly 4 inches away from the plant. That would be like stacking them on top of each other. Instead most people will have them side by side and the air ducts running from one to the next to remove all of the heat. Again, that is your lack of experience talking.[/quote]

No intelligent grower would put 2 600w lights side by side. You are just asking for problems....

Next time you recommend to someone "use 2 600w lights" try it yourself first....and that is YOUR lack of experience talking

13. I guess you know it all don't you. You just barely joined a couple months ago and now you know everything. The fact is that 11,000 lumens per square foot is not too much light for plants considering that the sun is capable of putting out 10,000 lumens per square foot. The only thing you have to watch out for is heat which is not an issue as long as you use cool tube reflectors. But you know it all so I guess you should know that also. I never said that 2 600s was optimum, but it will definitely work. Obviously other factors would have to looked at also such as cost of light, electricity and what not. But you do know it all since you have been a GC member for a whole couple of months so you probably know that too.

14. You want 100 watts per plan.. So try a 400 watt MH HPS setup.. Just invenst in a cool tube like they said and you will be fine.. Good luck.

15. Not saying that i know everything.
    Just trying to give the guy the best advice in my opinion....and 2x600ws IMO is not good advice for a 4x4 tent

16. ^^word. I think that you would run into some issues running 2 600W in a 4x4 tent, especially on your first grow. It can definitely be done, but you are going to have to account for a whole lot more heat (even with a cool tube). Go for 1 600W with an air cooled hood or a cool tube. HID lighting is going to give you better results, but CFLs are way easier to deal with. What about a T5 fluoro fixture?

17. #18 UniXh03, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2012
    (2) 55W Compact T5 HO 6400k Bulbs Your really only running 110w per hood and at that price for 2 hoods you would come out cheaper for a 400w HID..

18. Here this is cheaper and works just fine.. I have one, plus your going to be looking at 55,000 lumens vs 20,000 the t5's will make..

19. Dont for get with the HID you get 2 lights 2100k and 6500k the T5 will only be in 6500k which is more for veggin then flowering.