Looking for LED Grow Light Recommendations

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Jefe1, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Greetings Everyone,

This grow (only my second one) I am taking on 2 sativas; AK 47 and Super Silver Haze. I currently have a 600W grow light that is very hot and raises the temp of my grow room considerably. It will be 85 here today and I don't suspect it will be getting into the 60's for some time. I am looking for recommendations for a led grow light that will reduce the temp in my grow tent but still give me the same light volume (if that is a thing). The light that I have is attached and shown below. I thank you all in advance for any recommendations you can share.

Attached Files:

2. Can’t see your pics, but I can recommend quantum board LEDs to replace to your lighting at about 40 watts per sf.

Qb120’s and 132’s should be coming back in stock on amazon soon. I replaced my 600 watt hps and 280 watt blurple with about 700 watts of qb120’s.

[​IMG]

There’s also the qb96elite v2 engines. I used 2 over a 2x4 space with 320 watts split for 160 watts each.

[​IMG]

Cost is about $1 per watt if you build yourself.

Here’s a link to HLG

Horticulture Lighting Group Premium LED Grow Lights for Agriculture

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
  3. My grow room is a 4X4 at 6' tall. If I calculate 50W per sq/ft, I come up with 800W needed for a 4X4 grow tent. Does this sound right? I got that figure from another thread. If that is the case, would buying one of these be ok?

4. Your link doesn’t work. 50 watts per and of blurple or HID lighting. 40 watts per sf of quantum board or cob led

• Like Like x 2
  5. Haha what the fuck man, you got enough lights in there
    I've seen the X2 scrogg but that other ones a bit overkill is it not lol.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. LOL, the one I posted the photo of gets my grow room around 90+ degrees all the time. I am looking to replace it with a cooler led setup.

7. This is definitely not overkill. You have to understand lighting to know how it works. These are low wattage boards that don’t generate much heat at all. The drivers can be located out of your tent, which is what creates the most heat. These lights are a very even intensity and I have them setup to provide about 900 ppfd across the entire canopy. The lights penetrate about 12-16” deep with at least 600 ppfd of flowering intensity. Just about a perfect lighting system for my flat canopy style of growing.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Not overkill at all. Only 700 watts maxes in a 4x4. Nice even intensity. These are qb120’s, low wattage boards. The other guys use high wattage boards.

9. Oh fuck aye that's a bit hot like.
    I try to keep my room at 29*c but I get problems at 31*c.
    Cobs or qbs are definately the way forward for you.
    To be fair though, I thought cmh bulbs were really cool. Haven't got an hps bulb In it have you?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ahh so they're not as strong as your scrogg ones. Get it now lol.

• Like Like x 1
  11. They are CMH bulbs, but it gets really hot where I have my tent set up. I have it set up in my garage outside. It is not air conditioned. I have 2 small fans in the grow tent. This is my exact grow tent setup;

Hydro Crunch 48x48x80" Grow Tent Kit w/ 630W CMH CDM & Fan + Carbon Filter Combo | eBay

• Like Like x 2
  12. Timber grow lights are phenomenal, and decently priced! Customer service is also out of this world.

Its all I run!

1021181323.jpg

As you can see the penetration is on point...I had big nugs over 16" into the canopy! And my tent hovers around 80° with fan at ~90%

Sent from my VS995 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

13. Ahh so could you look at maybe introducing a passive airflow to help lower the temps. Ie get a 4" inline fan to pull colder air in from outside the garage and have the intent extractor blowing to outside the garage. Or something to that effect? Might be a cheaper solution to your issue.

14. That's some bangin penetration mate. Those buds about 12" long?

• Like Like x 1
  15. 19" was the best, average was 16ish! Got 10.5 oz's though

• Like Like x 1
  16. It really sounds to me like you just need a real exhaust fan setup. You simply cannot run a decent sized grow area like a 4x4 in flower which is pretty high power without a good size exhaust fan running all the time. The intake of the exhaust is at the top of the tent and this will remove the hottest air and throw it outside where it belongs. You then setup your air intakes on the floor to grab the cool air by the floor of the garage. I use a 440cfm 6" centrifugal exhaust fan on my 4x4 and it runs near max most of the time. 2 small fans isn't cutting it. You don't need an intake fan. You need plenty of circ fans which tower fans in the corners work best. You need maybe one fan up top like a clip on 6" to help cool the lights and you need a large exhaust fan at least 6" and 400cfm range.

17. IMG_1100.JPG
    Those are right at 4 weeks from flip to 12/12.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Nevermind. I looked at your link and you do have a large exhaust fan. Did you pipe it to the outside? You can't just let that hot air short circuit in a circle and get hotter each time in the garage.

19. Timber makes great lights but watt per dollar invested you'll do best with qb board DIY. It's literally about .60 cents a watt to maybe $1. Timbers fixtures are more like $1.50 a watt or $2 a watt.

The samsung diodes that the qb's use are actually considerably more efficient at output compared to the cree and vero cobs that timber mostly uses. 10-20%. The cobs have the advantage of lenses and better light direction.

20. If someone is up for DIY than that is the better option, price wise.

Saving $50 wasn't too big of a deal for me, and I wouldnt have the amazing customer support neither. Ive actually caused something to fail after neglecting my veg room and RH was at 100%..Dan replaced it free of charge!

I try and grow pretty large plants, as it looks like you do too! The penetration with quantum boards arent quite the same as veros are they? I was deeply considering QB's but wasnt so sure theyd get down past an un-managed canopy!