Looking for ideas

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by MrDread420, May 9, 2015.

1. Im looking into setting up my grow a little better its only personal not in it to get rich ..... I wanna know if you were to buy a a complete cfl grow set up (yes im going cfls just easyier for me I think lol) what would you recommend as far as ,lights,medium,pots,tent?,....im open to any lights but dont like the idea of them being on constantly when im at work or out cause of heat....I could be wrong so if you think im being paranoid please fill me in thanks in advance :) :)

2. How's it goin man we need some details to help ya out! What's the size of the space you're currently working with? Pics always help

Right off the bat I'm just going to suggest T5 tubes for your grow, they're cheap, the rigs for them are cheap, and heat is less of an issue and for me is even not something I think about (don't disregard it, however) . and IMO you get the best bang for your buck.

With more details, you'll get more answers :D

3. Right on mozey so it will be in my basement heres a few pics its light out in there right now cause of a plant im flowering so there a bit dark I dont know the width but the basement is 7" tall maybe 12"wide lol its very big I dont need to worry about the smells its my house im the parent haha ive got 3 in veg atm and I know its not enuff light I have 2 of the 48" tube lights there like 1900 lumens and a few cfls so if you need more info to help me with ideas just let me know

Attached Files:

4. Dread,

What is your lightening budget? That is a lot of area to have to deal with CFL's.  I assume you are going to just use part of this area for a grow area. For the price of CFL's you can get Mars Hydro old style LED fixtures. They put out so much less heat! You don't have to deal with a bunch of hanging cords and messy wiring. Even the 400w Mars Hydro unit I have for my 3'x2' cabinet was only about the cost to set up the same area with CFL's....and the results are so much better.

5. #5 InkOnMyFanLeaves420, May 10, 2015
    Last edited: May 10, 2015
    Don't go cfl.. The issue with CFLs is you have to move them daily , otherwise it shows you don't have enough luminens. And if you take the necessary precautions then safety isn't a problem.. If you want go tent , I would go 5x5x7 with a 1000w hid (and the mars hyrdo to supplement, a HV fan carbon scrubber and 10-15gal pots, a dual outlet timer (or timer strip) digital thermo and hygro. It leaves you extra space to work around plants for pruning And upkeep, good light penetration, easy to feed nutrient, and it doubles as a room to dru and cure if your not running a perpetual room, that's just me tho.. I like to maximize my risk to reward ratio , Just my opinion tho

6. @buzs right on so the led light is real then lol not ro soi d to noobish but ive sooo many mixed reviews on the led lights and me being a noob I wasnt sure on watts color specs or even what a good led brand is @ink wow ok so I do plan to cut the room in half one side flower on side veg but I think your going way bigger than im rdy for lol so with the 1000w I would have to wire a ballast do ducts work all that I assume so let me ask this what price range is a setup like that cause im only growing for me at the moment

7. Just so its out there im in a legal state and im a card holder so im not to worried about risk

8. Lucky lol stealth is the way to go though if you can help it. Feels more BA anyway : D

Anyway... I was looking at your walls and such, a tent or even just some Mylar might do you some favors. Increasing the reflectivity is actually super important, or at least a flat white. More light = better results. Doesn't mean you have to buy lights to get more light haha

9. Right on well I know I need more light but I also have like 2 gallons of flat white paint to lol....I plan for more light but I have a new daughter coming in july lol so moneys going else where haha

10. So moz in your opinion would 125w cfl veg 3 plants fine and would the same watt bulb in the 2700k be good to flower one plant?

11. Yeah I think you would be fine but maybe not the max yield you could be getting but I've seen people flower with less. :p

I don't have experience using CFL bulbs only, though I've used them as supplementary lighting with T5 tubes. That being said the wattage per plant of my grow last summer I did was similar and I got results to my liking.

12. Cool and my budget is slim atm we spent 3500$ to move into are new house so until I get a few pay checks im ballin on a budget .... but as for the lighting I did add 2 40watt 48" t8 tubes to the grow and I also cut 3 clones just as practice hHahah so we"ll see how that goes..... so if I may ask what type of lights ur using atm? The t5 tubes?

13. #13 MozeysBuds, May 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2015
    I have a little closet micro goin on right now I just use an UltraGRO 2ft 4 bulb fixture supplemented with a few cfl bulbs as I see fit, I'm sure I can get the wattage and such when I get home (not there atm) I'll also post some pics of the fixture

I just switch out my blue spectrums for red spectrums and it's a done deal

Using that t8 for small vegging plants and clones or in the main room?

14. #14 MozeysBuds, May 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2015
    Also the UltraGRO was around 100 bucks, they had a 2bulb 2ft fixture for around 55 bucks too if you're thinking even smaller (plan on buying one of these for a little clone/early beg box soon)

15. Yes the tubes in the main veg box and I have a 23w cfl and a 2" plant tube for the clones in good old home dome my wife made lol....shes so helpful lol I added some updated pics but I have no idea how to paste the link

16. Hi MrDread, hows your set up coming along?

17. So far so good did some lst on one girl and they seem good hoping to get a different light setup in the next few weeks

18. I can't wait to see what this one is

Attached Files:

19. Same plant better side shots

Attached Files: