Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Looking For Feedback.

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by SpaciSadie, Aug 24, 2017.

1. I recently made cannabutter for the first time and I am looking for feedback as to how I should expect it to turn out.

I started with 2 sticks of melted unsalted butter and 6 grams of kush. I did the double boiler method with 2 pots on low-medium heat for 4 hours. I also added a cup of water to the melted butter/kush. I strained it, and yes I did squeeze the cheese cloth to make sure I got all the butter out. (I read somewhere that you can use the butter infused bud and make tea with it. Is that true?) I let the butter chill overnight and then the next morning, cut a whole in the top layer of butter to let the water drain out.

Do you guys think that my butter is potent?
    If so, how strong are you thinking?
    What should I make with it to test out the high?
    Can I use the infused bud to make tea?

2. It's pretty well documented that for strained butter, only about half the thc makes it into the butter, and the other half stays in the strained out sludge. Don't toss that sludge.

Assuming good 15% herb and 100% accurate decarb, there was about (0.15)*(6000 mg) = 900 mg in the original herb.

Half of that made it into the butter, which is 450 mg

You can bake this butter into pretty much anything, so long as not too much heat is added for too long.

Guessing that 30 mg thc would be needed to get a fairly experienced user medicated (much more for very experienced edible users), that would mean about 15 total servings.

In the future, you should consider an air decarb (240 F for 40 min works well), grinding to powder, and then adding it to the oil of any recipe. There will be herb taste, but twice as much finished product.

3. Thanks for that.

So I should feel something!?
    QUOTE="bkarnaze, post: 23704787, member: 986717"]It's pretty well documented that for strained butter, only about half the thc makes it into the butter, and the other half stays in the strained out sludge. Don't toss that sludge.

Assuming good 15% herb and 100% accurate decarb, there was about (0.15)*(6000 mg) = 900 mg in the original herb.

Half of that made it into the butter, which is 450 mg

You can bake this butter into pretty much anything, so long as not too much heat is added for too long.

Guessing that 30 mg thc would be needed to get a fairly experienced user medicated (much more for very experienced edible users), that would mean about 15 total servings.

In the future, you should consider an air decarb (240 F for 40 min works well), grinding to powder, and then adding it to the oil of any recipe. There will be herb taste, but twice as much finished product.[/QUOTE]
    Th

4. What also does air decarb mean?

What can I do with the sludge?

5. @SpaciSadie
    He means open in the oven. No jar, No foil cover, Place weed on cookie sheet in a 240 F oven for 40 minutes.
    That is the decarb-activation step. Edibles need this for maximum effects. Your lighter does this if your smoking it.
    After decarb mix powdered weed with oil. (Coconut oil is my choice as it has virtually no taste or smell)
    2 sticks of butter was way overkill on the oil.
    I do 5 grams of hash to 1 tablespoon of oil. :) My oil is a little bit stronger then yours. Who wants to eat a half stick of butter to get high ?
    Skip the water as it's not needed and skip the double boiler as it's not needed either.
    20 minutes at 220 F for 1 to 3 tablespoons. Longer if you insist on using a ton of oil. 1 cup=1 hour.
    I've never gotten squat from the spent material if I strain it out so I've stopped trying and just powder the weed and leave it in.
    .[​IMG]
    Much simpler to work in hash but that's another thread.
    Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads
    [​IMG]

BNW

6. Air decarb means heating the herb in air, not in oil.

I never have strained oil sludge, so I can't advise you on what to do with it, but a google search should yield lots of possibilities.
    One such possibility is to put the sludge in capsules, and take them with any edible you make. That might double the potency of the complete experience.
    Haven't ever done it, but soaking the oily sludge in alcohol, then straining, might yield a potent tincture, but the solubility of oil in ethanol is only about 10% by weight. This could cause problems with getting at the cannabinoids.
    Unlike oil, 190 proof ethanol can extract all the cannabinoids, even those inside the sludge, so the sludge won't be potent.

7. Hey Thanks For All of that