Looking for an apprenticeship under master grower

Discussion in 'Marijuana Business and Industry' started by Burn_a_bowl, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Im new to the forum and hope someone here is more enlightened on the subject than I, How would I go about getting an apprenticeship under a master grower started? I’ve had the same desire to move to colorado (outdoorsman paradise) since legalization happened however the timing wasn’t right. Now I’m 22 and looking to move from misssissippi to start my life on the path I want to take. However I have no idea where to start to achieve my goal to be a master grower myself. Colorado is definitely the ideal place For me but all input is welcomed
    (Also I’m an electrician. Idk if any greenhouses in-house their work but it seems worth noting)

2. #2 jerry111165, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    First off, buy yourself a QUALITY lighting system and start practicing how to germinate seeds, how to mix a sustainable Organic soil or if that isn’t your thing, how to construct a pH balanced hydroponic system and practice practice practice...

The only way to become a “Master” of ANYTHING is repetition and trial and error - so get started.

As far as “Masters” go? There isn’t such thing as a “Master Grower”... and anyone that says they are should not be taken seriously. I’ve been gardening cannabis, vegetables and flowers using a wide variety of methods since the early 80’s - but I’m certainly not a “Master” - I’m still and will always be a student.

Some folks are also great at hunting, or baiting traps - I’ve been doing both for a long time as well but I’m not sure I’d call myself a “Master Hunter” - although I AM a fantastic Master Baiter...

Edit: “I’m a *good* baiter - but my cousin Mose? He’s a Master Baiter - Dwight Schrute”

J

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. 10,000 hours and you can master anything!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Like one of the guys said, If you haven't already, you should try growing first. If anything, so that you can learn the different terms, technology and techniques. That way when you apply, you already have some experience.

If you were to get a master's degree in agriculture, than you could most certainly call yourself a "Master grower."

That said

Dude, don't give up your dream. Just start writing growers in Colorado and tell them you'd like an apprenticeship. It will only cost you stamps and time. The worse they can say is no. Your electrical background is great for a large grower.

I'm sure my response is getting laughed at but hey, you're 22. You can do so much still with your life. Chase your dream untill you catch it. Fuck the non-believers, you gotta look out for number one bro

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. #5 thebombhaha, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    This post is interesting. It can be taken one of two ways. A joke, or a legitimate passion.

Make sure you have a passion for whatever it is you want to do in your life. One thing I can say is that because I love smoking weed so much, I invested in my first indoor run. This was not a days worth of effort. I knew absolutely nothing going into this, and I was buying parts for my setup that I knew for a fact I needed.

Luckily for us, we have GC. GC is the best weed forum to ever exist, and is filled with kind hearted individuals who do not mind sharing their knowledge with others. Now, I'm about to enjoy the fruits of my labor with all the weed I'm about to harvest. These results took a lot of work, calculated steps, and a decent amount of effort. I'm proud of myself for achieving what I achieved, but I still know so little compared to the elite growers on this site. I'm just trying to absorb as much info as I can and ask the right questions.

The knowledge I gained from this run and the knowledge I'm still gaining is power. Anytime you gain knowledge in magnitude, certain doors in life that weren't open prior can open up for you. As someone who had never dealt with a plant prior to growing bud in decent quantity for the first time, my advise to you would be to always keep an open mind in this field.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpeg
      1.jpeg
      File size:
      221.7 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Already have some experience but sadly I’m not willing to do anything for more practice at this time in Mississippi. Just have far too much to lose because of our outdated laws here. To the post saying it could be seen as joke or passion, it’s definitely my passion. I just can’t let my passion keep me from providing for my family. However I’m trying to get in the position where my passion is what provides for my family. Just legally

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 3
  7. Beautiful plant btw

• Like Like x 1
  8. What happened to your fan leaves in the picture? Nutrient burn?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. Yeah. Always gotta put your family first before everything. It's gonna be hard for you to accomplish what you desire in life, but it's always gonna be hard no matter what path you take. I say go for it and calculate every step to succeed. Even if it takes years, at least you'll be able to say you planned every step of the way to get where you are currently.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Due to not having a system in place for watering, I made the mistake of chugging these plants out of the tent one by one to manually water them. Some fans of the biggest plant I have(the one pictured) hit the light as I was trying to take it out and caused some minor burns.

Another large reason for the yellowing with this plant specifically is because I had the light too close to it initially, and it was right under the powerful 1000w HPS in the middle of my X formation. I even had it propped up, I fucked up there. I just didn't realize how powerful that light is at the time.

They got really big man, and I needed to rotate them with the other 4 plants in my X formation to keep low heat stress on them. Also made the error of propping the others up as well which led to some minor foxtailing with some of the other plants.

The yellowing at this point is natural, and is called fading. During the final weeks of flowering, you pretty much want a nice ripening fade to take place. In my case, the burned leaves make it hard to see the fading, but because I know what it looked like initially even with the burning from the light I can tell they've faded. I'm set to harvest them in 4-5 days and I'm flushing now. Currently see ambers in week 9.

Attached Files:

• bb2.png
      bb2.png
      File size:
      2.9 MB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 1
  11. LOL, you didn't mention a family in your post. I thought you was single

Edit:

Keeping them housed and fed while chasing dream

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  12. Actually, the lead or head grower in commercial grows are called "master growers"
    I know quite a few and pretty much every one of them don't like the title.
    The few that do embrace it are egotistical douche bags.

13. As stated above you need to learn to grow before you get that foot in the door.
    Electricians make bank.
    Move to Colorado, do the electrician gig.
    Drop some cards for electrician service at hydro shops.
    Growers always need panel upgrades to accommodate AC, lights, fans etc...
    Learn from there.
    I'm a carpenter and that's how I got into the industry.

• Like Like x 1
  14. There is zero specific qualifications to be called this as there are for other trades - the owners/business select their lead gardener and toss the title at them - so at the end of the day it really doesn’t mean squat. There are no educational qualifications, no anything -

Hopefully someday.

J

15. Look up “Plant Senescence”.

J

• Like Like x 1
  16. It's not senescence though. In fact, many have told me they wouldn't be in senescence for quite a number of weeks, and that they aren't even close to it. Not even one out of the other four plants in the run look like the one pictured above. I explained why the leaves look the way they do for this specific plant in my prior comments on this post.

• Disagree Disagree x 1