Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Looking For Advice On Pipe To Buy

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by LastToke, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Hey, everyone. In the near future (hopefully soon) I plan on getting a pipe for smoking, so I'd like to hear everyone's pro's/con's, suggestions, personal opinions and advice on choosing one.

If anyone would like to suggest a specific piece, please do so from the site store, as that's where I plan on ordering from. :) And please keep in mind not only am I financially strapped, but I'm very cheap. rofl

I do plan on getting a bong (for anyone who would suggest getting that over a pipe), but for now/first I am going with pipe for convince, and portability.

Looks aren't really an issue for me, I mean, I'd like it to look cool, but I am fine with something from something that looks like a piece of crap if it gets the job done, but I'd still love suggestions for a piece based on looks. :)

Are there pipes made from materials other than glass? If so, what do you suggest and why?

Also, do you have a preference on the placement of the pipe hole (where you cover with your finger when you take a hit) for easier/better hits or convinence?

Are there pipes that have removable bowl, and if so, do you prefer that over a fixed bowl?

If anyone is willing to reply here or message me on tips and tricks on how to clean a pipe (including type of cloth and any cleaning liquid), that would be awesome!

For those of you wondering, I'm using a homemade pipe made from a toilet paper roll and aluminum foil for a bowl. Anyone else have a homemade smoking device like this? I'd love to see/hear about other homemade smoking devices.

Thanks to everyone who replies with advice and comments! :)

2. id recommend you visit your local smoke shops and look to see what they have. that might be your best bet for your first one.

i have one pipe i bought online and the hole in the bottom of the bowl is ridiculously big. its like i have to have a crumb of weed to block the hole and then put the ground up stuff on top. i hardly ever use it for that reason. online i couldnt tell. if i saw it in person i wouldnt of gotten it

personally i like the basic glass spoon vs a bong. im right handed but hold the pipe in my left and the carb hole on the left side, looking at the mouth hole, works for me.

Ive made homemade pieces like yours as well. i was calling what you made a steamroller. making gravity/lung bongs from 2 liter bottles, pop can pipes. i remember heating up a car cigarette lighter and dropping weed on it and sucking up the smoke with a mcdonalds straw lol.

• Like Like x 1
  3. That is a good idea to buy from a local headship instead of online for my first piece, thanks for bringing that to my attention. But I'd still like to have some kind of idea of what I'm looking for when I go into there and not going in blind and getting something willy-nilly.

Can you further explain what a basic glass spoon is? Or is it just basically a glass pipe? I think I would prefer the hole on the left, as well. I'm right handed, so I think by why you are saying you have a left hand pipe? I only mention it because I mostly light with my right hand.

I've seen the gravity bongs online, but I haven't attempted to make one in fear I don't do it right and end up wasting weed (I use every little bit and if I drop a piece/goes flying when I cut it, I crawl around until I find it), but I do want to try using one at least. They look like fun and I heard you get a wicked high using it that way. Using the cigarette lighter is super inventive, but I'd be so scared I'd miss most of the smoke and the bud would be wasted. lol

4. You can google "spoon pipe" and you can see what they look like. its like the most basic type of glass pipe. sometimes they can be ornate or super dirt nasty haggard and any size you can think of

now that i think about it ive never seen a pipe with the carb hole on the right side. lol

i think the reason why i like pipes over bongs is i hate coughing. i hate ripping a bong a little too hard and end up coughing all the smoke out. with a pipe i can take little tokes and be fine. like if you have a little amount of weed you can make the best of it. you can load as big or as small bowls as you want. if you want you can only put in as much as you need for 1 inhale. thatll help if you worred about smoke smell. aka you wouldnt have any left over to smolder and smell

joints are my all time favorite way to smoke but it its not super weed efficient

5. I'll be sure to do that, thanks. :) Am I safe to assume you prefer the glass spoon over a "regular" pipe? Can I ask your reasoning for this? I've mostly smoked from a bong in the past (at first I coughed, but after a few tries the hits were smooth), and recently I've been smoking from a steamroller, as you know. With this in mind, would you reccomend a spoon, or stick with getting a pipe for my first piece?

6. [​IMG] when you say regular pipe do you mean a tobacco pipe?

7. I apologize for not clarifying what I meant in my reply with regular pipe. I have yet to look at pictures for a glass spoon as I am mobile and trying to get ready for bed for a shift in the morning, but I have taken it as a glass spoon is different than any kind of pipe. And by "regular" pipe, I meant, basically take a pipe for blazing, and that piece is different than a glass spoon, correct?

I apologize again if my wording is confusing. I'm going to Google now to look at a glass spoon.

8. lol ah. yup theyre different you'll see. you can smoke out of a tobacco pipe obviously but their bowls are generally much deeper than a weed pipe and no carb. i wouldnt recommend for weed usuage

Ive been looking at these for awhile. a bubbler pipe. pipe action with a bit of bong bubblage lol

9. I just looked at pictures for a glass spoon. I recently just smoked out of a glass spoon with a coworker, and was under the impression it was pipe, I didn't think that it could be something else. And actually a spoon is more what I'm looking for than a pipe now that I know the name for it, so I thank you for informing me of this.

Do spoons come in different materials? If so do you reccomend one over/instead of glass? Also, do they come in different shapes, and if they do, do you reccomend one?

I'm sorry for all the questions, I just really appreciate your help and trying to get as much information and advice as possible so I make the best choice to my abilities when the time comes.

Are you willing to share any tips/tricks to keep your spoon clean? It would be really appreciated, I'd hate to not be cleaning it properly or ruin it by cleaning it wrong.

10. Those look really interesting! Some of them I'd assume was a glass bong, and others a glass pipe, I wouldn't think they would be something different than both. Some looked like it would channel the smoke into different chambers; are these pieces better for a concentrated high?

11. Spoon pipes come in that basic shape you saw, cause it sorta looks like a spoon. Ive only seen them in glass but i bet you could make one from clay or wood. its just mainly the shape which makes it a spoon.

There are other types of weed pipes called different names and made with different material. sherlock, chillum, glass blunt(i consider it a pipe), steamrollers, and tons more. I think glass it the best material

a good way to clean a glass pipe is to soak it in 91% isopropyl alcohol overnight. It breaks up the resin and you can rinse it out with hot water. i like to keep my pieces clean too... I just did this with 2 of my pipes and a bong bowl a few days ago. they came out spotless clean as usual

i think those pipes with all the chambers and water are mostly for looks. smoke could be cooler by the time it gets to your mouth but i dunno. i just think they look cool

12. My pipe is a little wood one that was less than $5 at a convenience store. My reason for getting it was that I liked how it looked and that was it. I've smoked out of wood, metal, and glass pipes and I can honestly say I haven't noticed any difference in how harsh the hits are. So I'd say go into a store that sells tobacco products and find a cool looking one in your price range. Only thing I'd look for specifically is bowl size and if it uses screens, but that all depends on how you like to use pipes. Do you plan on using this pipe for toking alone or with friends? If it's with friends, look for something with a bigger bowl. Do you find yourself constantly sucking in ash and grinded herb when inhaling? Look for screens. Other than that again, looks and price. Hope this helps! Happy toking :bongin:

13. I used to have one of these as a kid, it was my favorite alltime pipe. I cant find them anymore, and these are 80 bucks and sold out. Heres a head that attaches to soda bottles, kinda cool- Water Puff Bottle Pipe[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

14. Since posting this, I've done a bit of research for the different devices. Because of my "skill level" and financial situation, bubblers, vapes, water bongs and the such I've rulled out, as I don't want to waste money, or prepare it wrong and waste the weed (I even smoke it until it turns to ash to make sure none is wasted), and a glass spoon seems exactly what I'm looking for and the best receptical to get the best hits and be portable.

And thanks so much for providing how to clean it!

For size, I'm looking mainly for solo, but maybe something a little bigger than solo to pass back and forth between me and buddy when we move in together. But its not a requirement as they prefer to smoke from joints/blunts as I know.

And yes, deffidently screens, I hate the ash kick back in my mouth, sometimes it makes me cough and I end up loosing that hit. :/

That looks awesome and I'd love to try it out sometime, but sadly, at the moment, its out of my skill range and price range. But I deff wanna try it.

Thanks! I'll be sure to check those out as well!

So, I decided to spoil myself and I bought this: Black Glass Mini Bong Deluxe Gift Set | Grasscity

I've had a bong before (a "regular" sized one), but I've not owned a pipe, only used one. Any tips and tricks anyone is willing to share to take care of one and clean it?

15. Honestly just get a cheap spoon pipe. It's good for any smoking occasion pretty much. You can throw it in your pocket and bring it wherever, smoke just a little bit without wasting any or smoke a fat bowl. Every stoner should have at least one.

16. Even if the pipe works out and I enjoy it, the next thing I plan to buy is a spoon, or maybe a glass steamroller, I'm not sure which will be yet at the moment for me.

But I saw the box set, even though it was small, it appealed to me; pipe, bong, and the assessories for a pretty good price, plus with the 10% discount, and wanting to spoil myself, I said, "why not?" If it turns out I don't like using them, I can always keep it for future use, or share/give it to my buddy. But for now, my homemade steamroller does the trick, and I suspect the pipe (and bong) should preform decently well. Plus, with the screens, I won't have the ash kickback I have now. :)

Plus, it comes with a grinder, which'll really help because I've been cutting it with a razor, which I continue to do so, but becomes tedious.