Looking for advice on how to"steralize" or treat my soil from last year

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by RealEyezd, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Ive heard something like put plastic over soil let it heat to a high temp to ensure soil is clean of plant diseases like fusarium wilt, wich is what i had on only 1 of my plants last year but i know it us very contagious an i felt it was spreading right around harvest last year so im looking to like clean the soil basically , any ideas???? How would i get the soil temp to raise up ??

2. How much soil are we talking about? Boiling water or oven will probably work.

3. #3 old shol4evr, Apr 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    delete

4. Good morning. Unfortunately, the methods you’re describing will not work as you could never penetrate the soil to a depth needed to do so.

Fusarium Wilt is a fungal disease - which means that it LIKES warm/hot and moist environments. There are not alot of remedies but there IS a few things you can do to control.

1. Select fungal resistant plants. These Are readily available so do a little research.

2. Call your local County Extension Office. They are familiar with tye specific garden and farm diseases, pests et al in YOUR AREA. They are there specifically for you - so take advantage of their knowledge.

3. Rotate gardening spots. Select a new garden spot at the other end of your property and allow a year or two between planting in these different areas.

Hope this helped

j