Looking for a silent exhaust fan for a small box (100-150CFM)

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Atmo, Aug 17, 2010.

1. So my box will be about 2' x 1.5' x 3' - using probably 300-350 watts at the most, with 208 watts being the least used. With all these numbers, I figure I should get a single 135-150CFM exhaust fan, which should take care of the exhaust for all wattages. I would probably put some smaller fans to help cool lights and circulate.
    Anyway, I'm looking at fans and that 100mm RVK exhaust fan looks perfect, being very silent at (I THINK) 175CFM. From what I hear, these are VERY silent and VERY good, but I can't even find them anywhere in the US.

So, does anyone have a suggestions on which silent 150CFM exhaust fans there are?

I do have 3x 120mm CPU fans with about 80CFM, they run at 30dBA, which isn't TOO bad. Do you think if I use 2 of these fans, maybe at 90% power and take all steps to silent them, they would be too quiet to hear?
    I was also thinking of sound proofing the box, but my main goal is to find a really good exhaust fan.. ventilation is going to be very important in my small box, especially during flower when I'll be using a 150w HPS with some CFLs
    Thanks!

2. Anyone know how the Soler and Palau TD-100X In-Line fans are?
    [​IMG]

100/135CFM (low/high), 4" duct and apparently very quiet

3. Oh, the 4" Elicent would be excellent, but it's pretty expensive $180.

Anyone know how silent they actually are? dBA?

4. Yeah, I hear they are really good and actually pull air. No first hand experience though

5. HTG sells a 170CFM 4" inline fan/carbon filter combo for $120. You can get a speed controller to turn it down and reduce noise as well. Just got this fucker, building a new grow box around it, should have a thread going up soon.

According to the website the fan runs at 47dB raw...filter will muffle it, and running at a lower speed will also quiet it down a good amount.

6. #6 Atmo, Aug 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2010
    Haha, that's only a little more than my 80CFM pc fans.
    Yeah good call on going for the 170CFM and tuning it down. I didn't know they made them that high at 4", I figured that CFM would be 5", thanks for the tip. I think I'm going to get this and try to muffle it.
    So 170CFM, maybe tuned down to 140CFM, that should be sufficient for a 1.5' x 2' x 3' box, right? Including carbon filter, etc. I dd the math, included my lights and everything and figured at the MOST wattage I'll ever use, I would need 135-150CFM.

I'll still use my PC fans, probably on a dimmer switch at 50% to try and kill the noise, but I will use 2 to cool my lights and maybe one near the bottom pointing through the plant to the top.

edit: oh I thought you meant a soler & palau, I heard the Cans are pretty noisy. That site is awesome, though, but I may still hold out for a S&P TD-250 - only $93. Plus it's low setting it ~150CFM, high is ~200CFM. I could probably get away with using it on low, with a carbon scrubber as my exhaust, then use all 3 PC fans on a dimmer, 2 for lights, one at the bottom towards the plant... that should work ok, right? 150CFM with a carbon scrubber (I suppose I could pop it up to 200CFM if need be)

7. Oh yeah I saw that. I would probably go with that for a bigger grow, but I don't really have enough room for that in a 1.5' x 2' x 3' box. The S&P TD-250 is just barely compact enough for my liking, even then it's going to take up a bunch of space but it'll be worth it I think. Plus it's only $93 on lightingdirect dot com, which isn't really too bad, considering the alternatives.

8. You can use those 3 pc fans, and only those 3 pc fans, to cool your light AND get rid of odor.

Just separate the growing and light chambers with a plate of glass and make sure its sealed.

9. I was originally going to just use the PC fans, but further reading and research suggests I should get the S&P (or something a little stronger). I do plan on getting a larger box in the future, so I should be able to use it for future grows as well which is a huge plus.
    I think I'm going to go with a pc fan for each of the 2 light fixtures (just started a thread on this in the DIY forum) on lower power, use the 3rd PC fan for air circulation/plant strength, then have the S&P for all exhaust + carbon scrubbing.
    I'm just hoping I can get away with using it on the low setting.
    Plus, I'm not sure if those fans would be sufficient for when I use both the HPS and CFLs, the box is pretty small.

10. I'm tellin ya, check out the thread.
    https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=112862

This dudes name is redgreenry from ICMAG. Read the ventilation 101 thread he wrote. Lots of people are happy with his information and the results they got from using his info.

His theory is, you are wasting monies by buying an oversized inline fan to overcome the scrubbers resistance. He uses 1 PC fan to cool his light which is sealed from the grow part of his cab. He uses 1 PC fan to take care of odor. It's the design that makes it, IMO.

I will be replicating his 150 HPS cab, as thats all I need for my needs. But, its for flower only. I bought a DR60 a while back for veg.