Looking for a revolution type novel

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by tokin', May 4, 2012.

1. Title says it all, I'm looking for a book about an oppressed minority taking over a tyrannical majority. If you've read George Orwell's "1984" I'm looking for something similar but with a happy ending lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

2. Read Animal Farm.

3. #3 Pale Blue Dot, May 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2012
    Homage to Catalonia

also by Orwell

no happy ending though; Francisco Franco won the Spanish Civil War, so .... yeah

Also it's non-fiction

4. First one that came to mind was Twelve Days by Victor Sebestyen.

If you're pursuing this as some kind of mana to fuel an ideological standpoint -- you might also want to consider reading about some of the greatest suppressions and revolutionary failings.

5. Guerrilla Warfare - Che Guevara

More of a handbook, it seems. I haven't read it but it is certainly a revolution type book.

6. I quite like the book.

Most of Che's work is no longer applicable, but it's a piece of history, it's well-written and argues largely for compassion.

This reminds me; my old copy was lost to a particularly bad book-lendee. I need to get a new copy.

7. A brave new world - Aldous Huxley

8. "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" by Robert Heinlein. It's about a prison colony on the moon that's throwing off earth rule. It's also got just about the best description I've ever read for setting up a cell based resistance network.

9. I recommended it in another thread, but it definitely applies here too

[​IMG]

10. Sounds very intriguing..

Exactly what I'm looking for thanks man. I'll look into it when I'm done reading my current books:smoke:
    I'm sure I'll be reading a lot more of Orwells books as well.
    Thanks blades.

11. #11 Sunshine86, May 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2012
    I was going to make precisely the same recommendation, cobber. Ayn Rand's Anthem is good also (and short—I read it in three days)—it doesn't address revolution in the traditional sense (deposing an oppressive regime) but does focus on individual freedom.

12. Read the Hunger Games Trilogy. Easy reading, but with some pretty deep themes that reflect today's modern society.

13. Reading this post was the intellectual equivalent of stepping on a piece of lego hidden in a shag carpet.

14. Coincidently, I was just thinking your post was the internet equivalent of you admitting you have a small penis and need to belittle others to make it seen bigger. Good luck with that, I suggest measuring from the top. ;)

15. Oh lordy, sig'd!

16. That's not exactly the consequences of criticizing a book. You were criticizing a person.

But you spin it any way that makes your epeen feel bulkier.

17. I'll fix it.

I didn't mean to offend your sensitive disposition, I normally do not equate a single reading choice with an individual's identity - I suppose I forgot that some people do.

Addendum -- what is with your infatuation with the penis analogy? It's really going over my head, I think.

18. Please leave the arguments out of this thread. If you wish to continue then take it to private messaging. Just please don't ruin a thread with off topic bickering.

19. 1984,Animal Farm,and The Communist Manifesto