Looking for a little help identifying problem

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Thrackwar, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Hey guys. Was wondering if someone could take a look at my pics and figure out what is causing my problems. Here is a bunch of info for you...

G13 White Widow scrog in a Hydro bubble bucket w/ two airstones
    Vegging on 6-7 weeks now (kind of a monster)
    400 watt light on 24/7 at around 12-14 inches above (I moved it up once already since I thought it was light burn to start)
    Temps around 70 humidity between 40-60%

I switched from Foxfarm to AN's PH Perfect Sensi 2 part around week 4 since I was having problems. Plant loved it and looked extremely happy until 2 days ago. I am using half strength of what the online calc is telling me and my ppm's sit around 900 and drop to 700-800 ppm after a day or so of putting it in the bucket. Yesterday I added some cal-mag to see if that helped at all but it didn't seem to do to much as far as I can tell.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. What's been you PH?

3. Since using the ph perfect its been just that...perfect. About 5.8 give or take .2 in either direction depending on when I check it.

4. Have you been adding anything for Manganese?

5. The 2 part sensi grow has manganese in it...so yes.

6. I'm wondering if your water has a high level of sodium? You seem to have everything up to snuff, and you're getting the manganese in there... PH appears to be right. Have you ever had water issues before, that you know of?

7. Not exactly to my knowledge. I have had problems with previous grows for sure but nothing I could put my finger on. I am just using tap so I wonder if I should switch over to RO at some point...

8. Are you checking the EC value of your water before you add the nutrient solution?

9. Nope. Just after I add nutes which should be the only thing that matters no? Weather starts at 0 or 150 ppm, as long as it ends near my 800 mark, it should be fine.

10. #10 mmman, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2013
    I began to think it might be manganese, but you say it's in there. Now, I'm wondering if it's Mg... but you said that was added also, but with a PH of 5.8, and maybe your nutes had a bit in there also... don't know... but a rather severe case of Mg would require a folaige spray of 2% solution of Epsom salt. You probably should lower you EC for at least a week and see if that helps. Mg toxicity is rare and difficult to discern with the naked eye.

11. From the good folks at Mandala seeds:

Essential Knowledge About Nutrient Dosage

Let's start with the small print on the bottles which your would generally use as orientation for mixing your nutrient solution.

What many do not know: the recommended EC value is always based on osmosis water with an EC of 0.0 mS/cm!

Example: Ionic recommends an EC of 2.0 mS/cm for flowering in hydroponics. From this value the cultivator must deduct the EC of the tap water in order to calculate the actual recommended dosage.
    Let's say your water has an EC of 0.6 mS/cm. Then you calculate 2.0 – 0.6 = 1.4 mS/cm.
    The recommended maximum dosage is therefore 1.4 mS/cm.

Canna and other Dutch companies generally recommend even higher values. So the necessity of being aware of this formula is quite apparent. Although one really must ask how the plants should survive long term on levels of 2.0 – 2.2 mS/cm, most customers actually use such strong dosages in their grow because they are unaware of this essential information. The result is not only a waste of fertiliser in hydroponic systems. Plant care also becomes much more complicated and problematic. Regular flushing with water or weak nutrient solution are necessary at such high EC levels in hydroponics. On the one hand, the plants grow very fast (they stretch, get leafy, etc.), and, on the other hand, they develop complex symptoms of over- and under-fertilisation from the high salt content in the substrate.

In the end massive overdoses of nutrients lead to a high risk of mold in the flowering phase, reduced levels of resistance against pests, lower yields, male flowers on females, and possibly pose a health risk from radioactive traces in the cannabis (from phosphate).

For the cultivation in soil there is a common rule among cultivators to use 50% of the recommended dosages. Growers follow this rule without actually knowing what salt concentration they are feeding their plants with. For soil cultivation an EC meter is the most important tool to find out what the proper dosage is. This is why everyone who values their plants should not save on this rather moderate investment of 45$/Euro!