Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Looking for a full time job.

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Smokebox, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Hey Grasscity:wave:
    Is it just me or is finding a decent paying full time job even possible anymore?:rolleyes:

A little background on my situation, I just graduated high school and I am enlisting in the Army. However, I don't plan on enlistment until the winter months for personal reasons. I live in North Carolina and another certificate I tested for and obtained was the CRC which I received Gold on (the highest I could have scored). It is a very desirable credential in North Carolina and employers do favor you if you have one, especially a high scoring one such as myself.

My problem is I literally have looked everywhere for a decent paying job. I know I'm not going to make amazing money fresh out of class, but I really don't want to apply for all the fast food chains in town and make minimum wage. I really want to work full-time as I do nothing around the house, and it is starting to annoy my father a little, which I can completely understand. I've looked everywhere:( I could online, such as Craigslist and Monster, and still can't find any openings for any business. Things that are available I'm not qualified for because of my young age and lack of experience.

I'm just wondering if anyone has some tips they could share about finding good jobs, the good things to say, or where I could look for a decent paying job. The only jobs I have worked was at Stop and Shop for almost 2 years, when I lived back in Connecticut, I also worked at Old Navy for like 4 days and never came back. (It was fucking retarded, legit) Thanks in advance if you took the time to read my post in its entirety. :)

2. I live in NC and getting a job is pretty hard to do. I was previously a firefighter for 4 years. I even made lieutenant before I had to leave due to a surgery I had. I recovered, and stayed at home and kept my 2 year old while my wife worked as a registered nurse. Now that I am able to work again, it is impossible to find anything. I want to go back to the fire service but there are no openings where I live. Its a shame that with my service to the community and an exemplary performance record that I can't even get a job as a security guard because 300 people applied.

3. Your old fire station won't even take you back? That is just sad in my opinion. They should have not even made you leave, but instead you should have been laid off till you recovered. It is unfortunate that it is not just me that can not find a job. Best of luck to you as well. Just out of curiosity what county are you in? I stay over in Wayne county.

4. Stop looking for jobs online, and go out into the community and make connections.

Do some volunteer work and mingle with every one there. You would be suprised the amount of people you meet through charitable events.

Also applying for jobs online is the most unpersonal way of ever trying to get a job. Unless the application is specifically online, you need to be in the stores face to face with the management so you can describe yourself with words instead of writing on your resume or application.

5. I agree circle, however I am not going to go volunteer, I need to get paid. I have expenses I need to pay for such as my insurance for my car. The problem is finding the open positions, because frankly it doesn't even seem like there is much, if any, opportunity out there right now.

6. #6 Malaclypse, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2011
    Starbucks. They're pretty cool, they respect their employees. They consider everyone a partner, and part time partners are still eligible to benefits. You make a little over minimum wage to start, plus tips, and there's a lot of possibility for movement within the company.

7. Starbucks seems pretty legit, my friend was a barista for some time. Maybe I will look into it. +Rep for actually giving a decent suggestion.

8. #8 HighGradeDank, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    They would take me back, but there aren't any openings. FMLA required them to hold my spot for 12 weeks. I needed a lot longer than that. I had no choice but to tell my chief to promote someone to my spot and hire a rookie. Fire and resscue jobs are hard to come by due to the fact that most of them only require a HS diploma and a drivers license.

9. Oh yeah.. I am from Harnett. About to move to Wake. Wayne county has a nice hospital that usually has some job openings.

10. If you are looking for a good full-time job, you shouldn't be using the internet as your primary means of finding that job. Employers want to see your face, hear you speak, see how you react to everything around you. If they have people coming in and asking for interviews, or they have people sending them emails asking for interviews, they are most likely going to offer the interview to the people who actually walked into their store.... i.e. made an effort. (not a shot at you, but that is how they see it)

Use the internet and throw as many requests out there/fill out as many applications as possible just so they are out there, but if you really want a job, and as fast as possible, you are going to have to show up in person.

11. Have you even thought about Canvassing/Commission based work?
    I was recently hired as a Canvasser and got my first lead on my second day. It's a fun work environment, I work with a bunch of alike minded people that party and blaze fat.
    Though the fact it is commission based is a downer but if you persevere the payout is fat.

12. #12 Smokebox, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2011
    That unfortunate man, I still say they should find a way to put you back on the squad.

Edit: Wayne Memorial Hospital is a joke haha, you go there if something minor is wrong with you. If your in serious injury, your just going to die at Wayne. The care really is that bad.

I agree with the in person thing as you all said. Problem is I'm still fairly new to the area, don't know a lot of companies that are around, and truthfully can't afford the gas to drive all around the city place to place. I guess I'm hopelessly looking for a good lead.:eek:

13. idk, do you want to work guest service? if not i'd say the easiest way to make money without experience is lawncare, or warehouse. but you just have to keep your eyes open and check EVERY DAY. it also wouldn't hurt to take some time to write up a nice resume. mine took me 8 hrs to make and was well worth it. i get responses from almost everyone i send it in to

14. Be a dealer.. Nah, but I feel you man, getting a job is hard these days.

15. Try summer camps and places like that.

I just got a job yesterday to be a camp counselor for 5-6 year olds.

It's gonna suck dick at times, but its better than working with food I'm sure

16. I would love to find a landscaping job around my area. Give me a chance to bulk up some more before enlistment, and usually the pay is good. As far as warehouses I am sure there are some around my city, as to where they are I really don't know.

I would like to apply for the Coca-Cola or Pepsi bottling places we have, but they for sure drug test, and I kind of want to be able to continue smoking while I have the job. I don't mind slowing my roll at all, I would just prefer not to stop completely just yet.

17. 10% of the jobs that had existed for the middle class, are gone... never coming back.

Unemployment rises, the middle class is disappearing and the rich get richer.

Good luck.

18. Thank you for your positive attitude my fellow blade:rolleyes:

19. I had applied to Coca-Cola before. You basically have to know someone there. All of the landscaping jobs around here are filled by illegal immigrants for dirt cheap money. I know one of the guys at my old station is thinking about leaving so hopefully I can slide back in there. I just can't sit on my ass for 6 months waiting. Maybe I can work at a head shop lol.

20. Ima go ahead and say it again.. if your really stressing for work and believe in yourself try a commission based job they usually don't deny people and if your good at it you can make some chunky money.