lookin to start growin..low budget

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by 3rDLuNG, Oct 20, 2009.

1. #1 3rDLuNG, Oct 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2009
    i currently have $40 to spend until the next week or 2.. is this enough to get started right now? what soil, lights, and ect. should i be spending this low budget on until i get some more cash??? any help appreciated :D. btw i'm only looking to grow a few small plants in a small area.. not looking for any big set ups in the future, just keeping it small

2. #2 Krait, Oct 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2009
    Hmmm, $40 to start...

Go to Lowe's and get these:
    Large bag of Kellogg patio plus organic potting soil - $5
    Large rubbermaid - $5
    4 pack of 23w Daylight CFLs - $10
    Basic surge protector - $3
    Small can of flat white paint - $8ish
    Edit: Oh and an outlet to light socket adapter and a Y-socket - $4

Find the rest of these around your house/from a friend:
    Party cups (not clear)
    Old cell phone charger; you are looking for a 12v one to run some fans.
    One or two PC case fans.

Also try to get a gallon of distilled water from walmart.

That will get you started and be enough to last for about two weeks.

After that you need the 2600k color CFLs, nutrients, more water and possibly a PH tester.
    Still all fairly inexpensive.

3. what he said...

4. perfect... thank you very much. my seeds are germinating as we speak. when planted howmuch water and light should i provide the seedlings? thanks again, i really appreciate your help

5. pre water your soil now before you plant your pre germed seed, you can flick the lights on as soon as seed goes into soil, as for how much light you have 3 options, 18/6, 20,4 or 24/0 all these are perfectly acceptable for veg.
    gl

6. Someone here had a great explanation on watering young plants, but what I did was completely saturate the soil in the cup with water and then let it drain for 15 minutes.

After that, with indoor, you only need to water about a shot glass worth of water every two or three days.
    Just check the soil under the surface and if it is still moist don't add any water.

As far as light, the more the better.
    I started off with a single daylight CFL one inch above it.
    When it gets a little bigger I'll throw a second one in there and then maybe add one 2600k CFL to cover the spectrum a little better.

7. water the soil in the pot pretty heavily and let it drain for like 20 min or until its just moist and not soupy.you want this so that all the dirt is moist when you plant your germed seed and dont have to water until she sprouts. then do something like 4 fl oz. every 3-4 days is what i was told. turn the lights on as soon as she opens up her baby leaves

8. thanks guys... i'll be growing in a down stairs area, it can get some what chilly down there.. will i require a heater?

9. try a test run see what temps are with lights on and if its still chilly try a heating mat

10. Check your local pet store for small aquarium heaters where you can set the temp.
    Look up a lizard that needs heat first to avoid questions, haha.