1. Win a $250 shopping spree at Grasscity.com! To enter subscribe to our youtube channel.
    Dismiss Notice

Lookin 4 some advice?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by drgnknght, Jun 16, 2003.

1. First let me start off with saying Hello to everyone and thanx in advance for any help!!

I've just recently started my first "GARDEN", and I'm using two 100 watt bulbs on a 24hr. cycle duing their veg.. I was wondering if I needed to add more lights or is this sufficent for know?

And again Thanx in advance for any help I can get!!!

2. Welcome to the City!

Depending on the size of the area you are lighting and the type of 100 watt lights you have, they may be fine for vegging - though, technically, if you *just* started, you are in the seedling stage, not the vegging stage.

Post back with the specifics of your lights: whether incandescent - OK for the seedling stage but, should change as soon as possible; fluorescent - better for all stages of growth, but may not be enough light, depending on size of grow area; or hid - the best, but unlikely given the wattages you mentioned; and provide info on the size of your garden.

Congrats on getting started.

3. They are incandecents, and they have been in the vegg. stage for about a week and a half. I started with six seeds and when i switched them into their own container I lost two during the transplant.So I Have four left. I have them in an enclosed wood box that is conected to the house. I have put up foil on the walls to reflect the light as well. The area is about 3'x2'x4.5'. What would be the best type of florecent lights to use?

4. Probably shop lights. You have 6 square feet of growing space and will need quite a bit of light to grow quality bud. 50 watts of HID light per square foot is recommended - 300 watts in your case. In order to determine the proper amount of fluoro equivalent, though, you should calculate the lumens for 300 watts of HID and impute from there. Unfortunately, I don't have the specs handy. Somebody else may already have it at hand.

Since you already have incandescent sockets handy to your growing box, though, you should also consider compact fluoresecents. They would be a simple replacement for the bulbs you are currently using. I bought a couple of 27 watt fluoros that put out the same amount of light as 100 watt incans from Home de Pot for about $8 bucks each. You won't get the buds from them, but you can use them throughout the vegging stage until you have sorted out whether and how you will fit some HID lights. The compacts should be placed within a few inches of the plants for best effect. Otherwise, your plants will stretch to the light, resulting in stringy plants and lower yields.

5. Thanx for the advice, I'll let you know how it turns out.

6. About 25,000 lumens would be a decent output for a 300W (has anyone ever seen a 300w lamp? :) ).

So you're looking at a fairly large number of flouro's. CF's are typically around 1500 to 2000 lumens.

It's possible to get quite good yields from flouro if you try hard enough.

Team Flouro's members for example have posted some VERY respectable yields on the Overgrow forums.

Good luck and good growing.

7. whats team flouro?..can i see this stuf and the yields, id like to see?

8. what happened to team micro? i miss that:D

9. ah thats pretty cool

Grasscity Deals Near You