Look whos back. Back again...

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Xidus, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Hey, so I've been growing a plant for a while now, currently under ~280 Watts in organic potting soil with BioThrive Grow nutes. I fed it for the first time last week around this time and it is starting to look like it will be dry enough to water again soon. The top of the growth is starting to look slightly yellowish and there is a little bit of twisting but the set of leaves a node down are a beautiful green and the perfect shape. My question is should I water with the same level of nutes, increase the nute intake incase it is a deficiency of some kind or just give it water....?

Okay, some pictures
    This is the second node leaves, beeeeautiful
    [​IMG]

Maaad undergrowth
    [​IMG]

And the top sad leaves, in near the stem!
    [​IMG]

Peace!

2. Well, to me it looks like the tips are dark green and clawing downward, which leads me to Nitrogen overdose, so I would not fertilize again. When you gave it it's first feeding, did you give it 1/2 strength or full strength? You should always start with half strenght nutes to begin with and gradually work your way up to full strengh. This clawing & twisting could be caused by pH issues as well though, as explained below.

Also, a good rule of thumb is to feed, then water, then feed, water, and alternate like that. Don't give ferts every time you water. Since your plant looks like it has plenty of ferts, you might even want to do feed, water, water, feed, water, water, like that. So water twice before you use ferts in the water again.

Also, are you making sure you take your pH measurement after you add the ferts to the water? Ferts will drop the water pH by a lot, and you need to bring it back up to the correct level of 6.5-6.8. Fluctuating pH can also cause new growth to twist and do weird stuff, so if you don't ever pH your water that could be another cause of your problems.

3. starting to get root bound, it looks like ..and are those old dead leaves on your soil ? if so trash em .. if left on soil they will start to breakdown , inviting fungus and bacteria into your grow.

also trim off those yellow leaves with the necrosis..they are also inviting fungus into your grow.

also how often are you watering?

Wharf

4. Thanks guys. Antigen, my first feeding was at 70% their recommended dose. I don't adjust my solution because from what GH says and what I remember from college biology the actual nutrients (N, P, K etc) aren't taken from minerals like most, so in this solution, unlike most where pH lockout is a big danger because minerals can only achieve uptake at a certain pH, microbial activity breaks down these components which mean it doesn't matter on pH for uptake..... I think :D

Wharfrat74, I water about less than once a week, last time was last Monday and the soil is still a little moist, but I will probably water again today. I hope it isn't root bound, its currently living in a 3 gallon bucket.... Thanks for the advice, I will trim off those leaves and take them from on top of the soil. I was under the impression that I should have left them until I could remove them with a firm pluck so the plant could remove all the nutes....

5. hmmm, it looks like 3 gallons should be a enough space then, so I could be wrong. but to be sure ..how old and how big ?

the best way to tell if your watering on schedule with pots indoors, is by weight ....before you plant, feel how your pot feels with dry soil.. then remember it the best you can ..when your pot feels ALMOST that light .. it is time to water..after awhile you will only need to lift your plants a few centimeters to know when to water, it really does becomes second nature.

and yes you only want to pull leaves off when done..but I usually only apply that to "in flower" though,-when the plant is supposed to eat up itself ..not veg. Dead leaves will increase your chances of bugs and mold infestations throughout the grow ( look into "composting" for good returns on your veg scrap and "vermicomposting" for great returns on your veg scrap).

Wharf

PS keep us updated on that BioThrive, it is a relativity new product and I would like to see it work B4 getting some for a coco grow