Look what I found

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by AbsolutAdikt, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Hi there guys,

Just wondering if this 400W Metal Halide light would work for a grow room?

I have seen these lights before at big warehouses, but i am wondering if it would work?

I am looking at growing 5 plants or so. could i use this from veging till harvesting?

[​IMG]

2. MH is grow spectrum light (not all MH bulbs are the same spectrum to get one in the optimal vegging range), HPS lights are used for flowering spectrum. You can get conversion bulbs that will work with a ballast of the opposite type though.

Edit: by "grow spectrum" I meant vegging.

[​IMG]

3. I heard MH bulbs and HPS bulbs can fit in the same fixture...

Would this fixture work well for veging and flowering?

4. You can flower with a MH but you want a HPS because you will get much more yield and weight to your plants with a HPS. But that ebay fixture def could work for you. They could also not work for our voltage so make sure its a multitap system. Then you could rewire it for 120v US plug extension.

Hope this helps

APZ

5. It says it already has a 120v plug on it. Could I also convert it for gps bulbs aswell?

6. No you cannot, that one is strictly wired for MH light spectrum. But if you search ebay you will find one UK brand for around 90$ for HPS 400w.

7. I can get this light for 25$ i found it on craigslist. do you think i could use this for both veging and flowering?

8. keep shopping

9. Go here and get your stuff. I have ordered many things from here.

www.propertyroom.com

Navigation:

-Everythingelse > Home & Garden > Commercial Nursery Supplies

There are pleanty a MH/HPS switchable ballasts and plenty of HPS bulbs and reflectors at very good prices.

Enjoy

10. The answer is no. MH bulbs can work in HPS ballasts, but not the other way around. It could be used from seed to harvest, however, your yields won't be as good, the potency will be questionably better. I wouldn't go with more than 3-4 plants because MHs have less lumens compared to HPS lights.

11. Oh man. That just seems like really bad karma. I wonder if they auction off seeds too. LOL...

12. Chlorophyll more like boreofill!

13. I just started flowering with an industrial vertical ballast with a MH. I dont have the money right now to buy a new ballast setup so im just going to see what I can get. I heard that when MH'ds are used for flowering the bud quality is higher but a lot less dense.

14. Is it like the one shown above?

How many plants u got? Any pictures of your setup?

If i like what i see then i will probably purchase 2 of these 400 watters, 1 just for backup...

Thanks a lot man.

15. Yah its kind of like the one above but no glass and I have it positioned horizontally with a home made reflector.

After looking at the above chart I am not sure if I even have a daylight bulb or not but it seems to be working.

I'm running two bubble buckets in a 7' x 2.5' x 10' box. Heat is an issue with the old school non digital ballast as it is attached to the bulb socket. Also the industrial ballasts are noisier with a constant humming.

The only reason I am using it is because I got it for free. Next grow I plan to upgrade and ditch it.

4 days I have been flowering and already there are tons of pistols shooting out

This pick is from about 20 days ago or something. The girls are sleeping right now but ill try to get you a picture of the ballast tomorrow.

[​IMG]

16. I am going to be growing indoor with soil, and planning on using
    this light fixture (400 watt MH) for veging 5 plants, and then
    using this fixture again for flowering and maybe adding a few
    2700K CFL's during the flowering process.

Any input on that??

I want my plants to grow TALL and BIG whats the best i can do?
    My setup is 6ft tall x 5ft x 5ft.

Thanks