Look At My Firsts(In Progress)

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Peterskin, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Well to Start I took a few seeds out of some Rego's I bought. I germinated 6 and got 4 females. Lost 2 in a Lighting accident(very tragic). Well I just used some regular ole' potting soil from K-Mart, and planted them July 16 and let them grow under regular outside sun and lighting cycle until September 23. Two of them had started to flower so when i brought them in I started them on 12-12. They were under 2-120W Sylvania Spot Gro Lights( trash i believe) Then on Oct. 10 I bought a 150W HPS lighting fixture. My Grow room is a Stand up shower that measures.. 43"Wx31"Deepx 72"H It has a piece of plywood with some holes cut out for the light and some venting. I also have a 6" dan blowing on the plants for strength and to cool them. So right now they are on day 20 of Flowering cycle what do yous think....

Attached Files:

2. Both of these plants came from bag seeds and been growing about the sameamount of time .. They were trimmed a little different. The one i kept nearly all stalk and is flowering a lot Faster than the other. Now my question is is it possible for one to be finished before the other or should i leave them both in for the same amount of time. Im assuming the one that is mostly stalk has less plant to feed, so faster flowering right? Could one of you Green thumbs check this out and give me some feedback would be appriciated.

3. It's looking good! I have two suggestions for you though:

Step 1: Remove aluminum foil. Aluminum foil creates heat spots on the plants and can burn them... it is also surprisingly nonreflective. Replace it instead with mylar or, if mylar is unavailable (it's pretty cheap though) just use white painted walls.

Step 2: Possibly move the HPS closer to the plant. I can't tell from the picture how close it is already, but it looks like your plant is stretching a bit. Make sure not to get it too close though, you dont want to burn it.

You can also pick up some daylight CFL bulbs for really cheap (5-15 dollars) at home depot or walmart... use them with some adaptor sockets from home depot (1-2 dollars each) and a power strip to add some extra light. The benefit of CFLs is that you can get them really close to the plant so you're not loosing any light from the distance (you'd be surprised how many lumens of an HID are lost over just the recommended 2 feet).

Couple questions for ya:

When did you plant them outside?

Do you fertilize them?

I like the idea of using a standing shower as a grow room :p Keep it up and you'll have some good bud waiting for ya!

4. Lets see i planted them outside on July 16( the broke the soil) I brought them in on Sept 23 Day 70 since breaking soil. Yes i feterlize them with some MG All Purpose Feterlizer (15-30-15).(Prolly Feterlize once a week or so) The lights are now about 14-16 in. away from the light. I moved them up about 6-8 in. today. I didnt know that about foil ill have to try to find some Mylar ( Mylar wrapping paper work just as well? And to think these kinda started just as a to see what i could get.(trying different things. The one plant looks thin because i wanted to see if I took almost all the leaves off would that help with the light and less plant to feed= more bud.( i hope)

5. I don't know about the mylar wrapping paper and you've got the light in the right place... still, id suggest getting some CFLS in there, and i mean right up in there towards the midd of the plant from the side, to get some more bud sites.

I'm gonna subscribe to this and I'd be interested to hear what happens with the trimming of the leaves.

+Rep for trying things out =)

6. Thanks for the rep we will see how giving it the super hair cut.. Yea i got a cpl extra sockets and some 13w CFL's. Ill throw them in there for the sides They got the big silver dishes ill try that. If im strapped for cash at the moment and cant get the mylar should i leave up the foil until i get it or take it down now? No signs of burning at the moment.. So Far the one with the leaves trimmes has lots of begining buds i bet the CFL will help thanks for the advice. Updates to come.

7. I would take it down, better safe than sorry... and the only bad thing that may happen is it'll take a bit longer to grow

8. good luck man, this is interesting. im watching this.

9. Hey Mylar may be ok for your grow because you can keep it flat against the shower walls.. but keep it flat as possible...

Mylar crinkles and is hard to stick on smooth, id suggest a spray on adhesive and a plastic flat thing to push it on all smooth. When mylar crinkles it creates hotspots, which can burn your plant.

Another option would to be get some like wood or something and paint it flat white you only lose like 5% reflectiveness but its not noticeable and 10 times easier and distributes like more evenly.

10. Well I got a few updates.... Im gona run with the little foil i got for now until i see something that lets me know that the plants are starting to burn(temp is pretty okay in there) I put two CFL's in there today im short on cash so what i had is what i used deal... I had to clamp lights with the metal half globes on them i clamped them on the side of each pot with a 2700 13W CFL bulb in each. I figure ill shoot the light at the middle of each plant and rotate it around the pot(either change it once a day or throught out the day) advice would be welcome on that idea.. we will see how it goes from there maybe the extra light will give the bottom some more potent buds too i figure about another 5 weeks of flowering.. About Fertilizing it im Using MG All purpose feed(15-3-15) Should i feed it with that everytime i water it or every other or what? Like i said im experimenting these ones. But i was just curious on what others thought on the fert. thanks.
    peace,'Skin

11. I've heard good things with molasses... yes, the sugary substance... about 1 spoon full per gallon during the flowering stage. Also, tigerbloom during the floweringstage at 1/4 strength then work your way up. Remeber to stop fertilizing 2 weeks before harvest and flush the soil so your buds don't end up burning slow (or not at all) and tasting of fertilizer.

I would just keep the lights in one place on the sides.

More pics! :p

12. #12 lessismore, Oct 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2008
    You need to change you rnutes if you are flowering. 15-3-15 is not the best for flowering. I would look for something w/ less N and more P & K. It will increase your flowering tremendously. Personally I use this schedule during flowering: Bloom & Boost, water w/ cal/mag, str8 water. I give them molasses at the first sign of actual flowering, then again about 6 weeks in, then one last time in the final 2 weeks, the last 10-14 days I use str8 water to thoroughly flush the plants.

Using this nute schedule has given me great results. Here is a NL at about 19 days into flowering:

Attached Files:

• new.jpg
      new.jpg
      File size:
      114.5 KB
      Views:
  13. #13 Peterskin, Oct 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2008
    Well i Thought since I had a few i would throw some Update pics up..) Im looking into gertting different fert., and going to get some molasses.

Attached Files: