long theory about music

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Ryan87, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Yes im very high right now. when i came up with it yesterday i was also very high. i finished it tonite, as me and my buddies were blazing. now im home and its ready to post:smoking:

So i think that popular music is based on balance. were always looking for music to be the artistic symbol of our time. to do that, music has to be popular enough for millions and millions of people to relate. being human, we look for that balance and are always changing what is popular. but being human also means we will never get it perfectly right, ever. (like quantum physics, you cant ever tell for sure the exact velocity and position of a particle ever) as soon as we think we have it right, some new band comes along and change things. this is why we have one hit wonders and bands that just kinded of faded away fast (like the Darkness. whatever happened to them?)

but the further away we get from the balance, the bigger the next revolution. like punk. in the late 70s, prog rock was getting ridiculous. like emerson, lake and palmer. it got to a point where you couldnt tell if they were trying to be funny or not. then punk exploded and took over the rock scene completely in 1977. same with nirvana, before them the hair metal scene got way too out of hand, and we just got a bunch of shitty 80 butt rock. you can say the same thing about a lot of movements in rock, put punk and grunge are 2 of the biggest.

thats why the beatles were so successful. they rode the waves of every new style of rock almost perfectly, from more poppy-rock in the early 60s to almost folky jangly rock of the mid 60s, to psychadelia with Sgt pepper, to back to basics like abbey road. They always were the best, no matter how often and drastic music changed. and considering it was from 62-70 is really saying something. one-hit wonders might brush the curve for a little bit, but theyre not adaptable enough to even follow it, they were just in the right place at the right time.

so i predict that the 2 different styles of music topping the charts (emo and soulja boy-style "rap") will eventually get too close to a parody and will die out, because they will be so out of touch with reality (how popular are emo kids right now?) that our culture will need a massive shift, same with rap. its getting too simple and too stupid, we've come a long way from NWA, tupac, and other classic artists and it needs to change.

so i predict that emo will die out and a more confident, more musically complex rock will come out. and also that current rap will die out and a new, more intellectual style like Sage Francis will get popular again.

i might add more later but i think thats it haha:smoking:

2. just remember everything is vibrarions...EVERYTHING is vibrations

when you see this, the world of music opens up to an entire new dimension

3. ....I would say that this has been happening for a while right now. The time is ripe for a change, and unfortunately its in the hands of the LISTENER and the music industry.

I can only hope that your vision of more complex, musical rock becomes mainstream. Somehow I doubt that because in order for that to happen, the average American would have to have somewhat of an understanding of complex music (which in this current state of Panic at the Disco, I doubt will happen).

Also, you should note that America isn't the center of the world. IDM and experimental forms of rock are still very popular in Europe, where the audience seems to be more tolerant of innovation and experimentation.

4. It's sad to say but today, music is a product not an art.

Fuck iTunes with all of their iTunes essentials and grouping shit. Who are they to judge what is Rock or Alternative or Hip-hop or anything. Playlists and singles are destroying music.

5. You must play BASS! :)

6. yes...i also breathe ;)

7. Popular music is never the best music :D