Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Long-Term Eyedrop Users

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Jewsy, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Hi all,

Swim is new to the forums here, but swim has been medicating for awhile now. About a year ago swim cold-turkied vasoconstrictor eyedrops (something that seems to be raved about in forums like this) due to some unwanted side effects as well as some personal knowledge gained. Swim used the drops on and off for about five years, but eventually became entangled in a vicious web. Near the end of the five years, swim would smoke from the time swim woke up and before/during work, constantly using the drops to relieve redness. A few years earlier Swim was smoking very much and not using drops, unwittingly noticing the redness of eyes was not so bad.
    Anyways, here is swim, a year after quitting those evil chemicals. Swim is left with moderate dry eyes that becomes far worse when smoking, enjoying a pint or even after a certain hour of the day. Also, cosmetically, swim has visible, engorged red veins in the whites of his eyes that seem permanent. They do not go away when abstaining from meds for even up to a week/month. Needless to say the redness becomes much worse after medicating, but has been decreased over the past year.
    Swim is very frustrated by never having white eyes and more so about the constant dryness/irritation. If only Swim had done research and not made naive decisions, swim could blaze all day and go unnoticed by the lot. Swim attached a photo of engorged conjunctival veins on an okay day (swim also has dilated, tortuous, scleral veins that come up from the bottom and down from the top of the eye). Is there anyone else out there who has used a vasoconstrictor drop regularly for years only to realize the damage being done and quit? If so, how long ago did you quit the poison and how arewim is very frustrated by never having white eyes and more so about the constant dryness/irritation. Swim has pics of the veins if anyone is interested.

Thanks for taking the time to read and swim sincerely appreciated any input/responses!

Attached Files:

2. Yeah, I only use them on occasion now after reading about how dangerous they can be if used too often.

3. My eyes have been really itchy lately and I've been using for 3 years. My ears are constantly red, I think I'm going to quit with the eye drops now because that scares me. I work at an eye clinic and do not want any of those surgeries done to me. Especially cataracts

4. Thanks for the replies. I'm glad others have quit or are considering it; I try to spread the message as often as necessary so others do not end up where I am at.

Also I forgot to add that since I am a daily toker and cannabis is a natural vasodilator I remain optimistic that the THC could help reverse some of the cosmetic damage at least. My eyes do tend to get more dry when I medicate but it has only been I year since I quit the drops and the damage presumably occurred over a longer period of time.

5. Your eyes can develop a dependence on them like anything else.

Swim should see an eye doctor if swim is very worried. Maybe an eye doctor could even recommend what swim should use in the meantime to avoid dry eyes without further negative effects.

Also stop saying swim.

6. Swim is having much lols at the swim thing

7. why are you taking pictures of someone who isn't you's eye?

8. A quick Google search doesn't come up with anything except the dangers of spiking people's drinks with eye drops.

Can you post your source(s) please?

9. #9 Rollthem435, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2015
    Want a piece of advice? Drop the whole SWIM thing, this isn't https://drugs-forum.com/forum/index.php, and I had to read the text twice to really understand what you were trying to say... If you're worried, you should go see a doctor, there's noone better to give you medical advice than a health professional. If you have a problem with telling him/her you smoke weed, leave that out and just say you've been using eye drops for a long ass time... Smoke on [​IMG]

10. It's my eye, just having fun posting swim.

As for references, they are abundant. Here are a few and many more can be had from dry eye websites and the like:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/175250-side-effe...
    http://www.healthcaremagic.com/premiumquestions/St...

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Eye-Care/Overuse-of-e...

http://tabish.me/health/is-frequent-use-of-eye-dro...

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?8136...

Hindsight is always 50/50. At this point I have done my research and am not worried, the situation is what it is. That being said I suppose my intent here is finding someone in a similar situation (daily cannabis user who overused vasoconstrictors and has since quit). In my second post I mentioned that my hopes are cannabis being the vasodilator that it is will hopefully reverse the damage done from vasoconstrictors. I recently found out about an experimental repurposing of a drug called dipyridamole that is being used in eyedrops for pterygium. This process works similar to how I would expect cannabis to, except the method of administration is straight onto the eyeball and the medicine is very experimental/expensive.

11. #11 *guest, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    I used eye drops daily for months, stopped and my eyes were perpetually dry and irritated for weeks.

Then they got better.

12. Did you have dilated veins that would not go away, do you still have them now?

13. #13 *guest, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    Are you sure that's what you've got? Because the picture you posted looks like totally normal eyeballs to me.

Occasionally my eyes get dry and I wake up looking red-eyed and high, but it goes away relatively quickly.

If you're that worried, you know there are actually doctors who specialize in eyeballs right? [​IMG]

14. Well thank you for bringing this to my attention because I use Naphcon A everyday and I never really considered how much I was putting in my eyes.

After going over the links and their sources it seems like rebound redness is a real problem but it should clear itself up within a few months (possibly much longer).

I saw some claims that it can cause headaches and dizziness but I didn't see any real evidence to back that up.

But I'm gonna be more aware of my eye drop use now so thank you. I think you'll be alright if you just don't use eye drops and wait it out. It doesn't even look bad.

15. Got some red lines in my eyeball too

[​IMG]

Will I live through this?

16. My rebound redness was very grotesque and lasted like 2 months. The veins that are pictured above swell up (same as when I smoke or drink) and the white part of the eyeball was like blood red. The picture is of a normal mid-day, although my eyes do get more red at night. It sucks now because people I know who never used eyedrops can smoke/drink and their eye stay perfectly white. Not complaining, but this is something I think about every day. While I am still young, I am sure many of you can relate to choices made that changed your life forever. This is one for me. People often give crazy looks or make awkward gestures when they look in my eyes. Anywho I am just rambling now, cheers!

17. If the white part of your eye is turning blood red and you're worried about the health of your eyes, then why are you posting on GC instead of seeing an eye doctor??

18. Sorry to hear that. I'm about to significantly cut down on the drops, I'll report back if I notice anything weird. I'm always high though so I imagine my eyes will be red.

fwiw, I read artificial tears are safe to use as a replacement to the redness reliever drops.

19. #19 Jewsy, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2015
    I mean, I suppose you can make fun of me...I guess I am just a superficial person.
    I said it had been blood red when my eyes went through rebound hyperemia, a well-document (yet somewhat obscured) side-effect of vasoconstrictor tachyflaxis. My eyes are fine, if you read my posts I am just wondering if anyone in the same situation has seen a more full recovery or if this is it. A doctor cannot help me and besides I'm not going to pay for one.

Sure. I did not mention that one of the other bad things about daily eye drop use in the preservative BAK which disrupts the tear film and can cause corneal erosion. I now use preservative free single use natural tear vials along with the omega 3 TheraTears supplement. I only use the eyedrops when my eyes get really dry which usually means I've been drinking.

20. I was not intending to make fun of you personally, I apologize. More just the situation. If you know what's going on and how to correct it then cool, sounds like you've got a handle on it. And yes I've experienced a similar thing, went away within a month or two I think... been many years since I've used eyedrops for that reason.