Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Long term effects of weed on the brain?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by As Above So Below, May 7, 2011.

1. So me and my friend were talking about bud the other day, he's really chill about it. He smoked a blunt, pipe and a bong before he decided it wasn't for him (on separate occasions). But he's always like "weed makes you stupid if you smoke it for manyy years". I don't know what to say to that because I've only been smoking on and off for the last 4 years, and I haven't had any negative side effects (like talking slow,etc). He says "just look at those hippies or old people who have smoked their whole life and look at how burnt out they are". I tell him it's because those people do other drugs beside cannabis.

So my question is, are there any studies or anything that can disprove this? If you've been smoking for over 10-20 years can you tell me if you've noticed anything different? Do you talk slower? Think slower? Slower reaction time?

2. I would like to know A's well
    Subbed

3. Theres another thread that will answer all your questions..

Search bar my friend(s).. ;)

4. @420rowdyguy: Well it's not like this kind of thread pops up everyday so I'm sure people won't mind.

5. cancer... severe memory loss... i could go on and on.

6. At what point would you stop going on and on about false information?

My fingers are crossed that the smiley meant you were kidding. :D

7. i don't know alot about weed besides its the best plant that grows on the face of earth..and i believe ill be just as intelligent the day i day as the day i began smoking said best plant. but until then, im just gonna enjoy it :metal:

8. Weed does cause short term memory loss, but nothing conclusive for long term.

The only reason people think it makes you stupid, is because stoners arent productive in that time, so they arent learning anything that they otherwise probably would be

9. smh
    :rolleyes:

10. There's just not enough research for there to be evidence of anything, good or bad.

The federal government of America restricts all private research for the determination of medical use and benefits of cannabis, but they will do research to prove that it is a "dangerous drug."

Kind of makes me think like they know something that we don't about cannabis..My guess the medical benefits are the anti-carcinogenic effects it has, along with the anti-cancer effects too...

I think it's illegal simply for population control. People are getting cancer and dying at a higher rate than ever. Why would they want people to die? I don't know!

• Like Like x 1

11. I extremely hate this view. I hate it soooooo much.

Just because they are high all the time its called "burnt out". No. its called being fucking high!

But i will say this. These people are just abusing the drug. Its ok to smoke like, lets say, once a day. But to be constantly smoking all day long is retarded (unless your using it as a medicine of course...)

Anyways, these types of people, hippies if you want to call them, theyve found happiness with this drug, so they dont need money or anything. All they need is the basic needs plus marijuana(plus the occasional psychedelic :hippie: ) They are peaceful people who wouldnt harm anybody.

ISNT THE WHOLE PURPOSE OF THE CONSTITUTION TO DEFEND THE RIGHT OF LIVING YOUR LIFE HOW YOU WANT TO?? people shouldnt fucking judge, and it pisses me off so bad.

But i guess its the propaganda of marijuana and all drugs in general, that doing them will 'burn you out' and make you a 'druggie'.

12. There most certainly is. This lie started as a dodge against legalization efforts. "Well, we just don't know enough about it..." It's nonsense. Pharmaceutical medications that get prescribed to patients have fewer years of research and trials than we have done with cannabis.

13. Thanks for the replies! Especially the link testelumps :)

I find that sometimes I'm not very productive (movies, video games,etc) and other times I will find myself flipping through pages of a book, completely engrossed. High of course :p But for the most part I am unproductive lol.

And I don't usually smoke multiple times a day. Some days though I will smoke a few times but then lay off the next couple of days.

14. We don't know. I don't think there have ever been any detailed long term tests on cannabis use with many people.

15. Seriously? This is completely false.

16. First off. I said I THINK. Learn to read. And if there have been studies. Show me them. Unless they are 50+ years of continual use with at least 10+ people then it's not worthy.

17. You also said "We don't know"...which is false, so before you get cocky and tell me to "Learn to read", you might want to just chill and possibly...learn to read what you wrote. Cannabis has been used for thousands of years. There have been many studies, look around. I can't just site one study that says, "See there are no bad effects" (which, by the way, is not what I'm trying to say...cannabis is relatively benign but there are some negative effects).

Search for Granny Storm Crow's list, that will get you started. But that's not even all of it, there is still much more to read even after that. Have a nice couple of years trying to read through all of it. Like I said to the previous person who posted something similar to what you said: "This lie started as a dodge against legalization efforts. 'Well, we just don't know enough about it...' It's nonsense."