Long-term effects of smoking

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by JimmyJumpdrive, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Curious to know this one, Not that it would stop me from enjoy the devil's wonderful crop either way :D;
    I always here lots of fellow stoners talk about there being no long term or permanent effects of cannabis.

I wanna know what studies actually back this claim. This is pretty much so I have a good standing point in discussion when arguing why I'm pro-bud.

2. Huh?
    Wha....?

The long term effects of smooooooooooo.............*stares off into space*

• Like Like x 7
  3. ^^^ This guy, lmao

• Like Like x 2
  4. I've been smoking since I was 18, 22 now. A lot of people say weed "changed" their life, for me there wasn't so much a big change as much as revealing different layers and perspectives that already existed but get more obscured naturally with time and age. So since I've been doing it as I am simultaneously growing up, it's more like a top-off or a pick-me-up in order to stay in touch with something that I can't really explain.

For me it's kind of a Peter Pan plant. I never wanted to grow up, and I find when I smoke a lot of weed I feel that the disparity between boy and man is less severe and there's more room for being who I want to be - kind of a soul comfort.

If you're worried about risks - I did however read a bunch of stuff that suggests it is safer to do after 25 and risk is virtually nonexistent after 30, so I kinda keep that in mind before getting too carried away.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Started smoking pot the day I graduated high school back in 1990. I have only stopped 1 time, for 2 years, for a job that tested and randomed. That was 10 years ago. I am just as capable as ever. 27 years give or take.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. By study of course you mean anecdotal evidence

Eyes
    Memory
    Circulatory system

Heaviest effected

7. Right by study, I was actually asking for well creditable sourcable articles or medical/scientific publishes.

8. Your gonna have to Google symptoms individually.

But

Doing something to your body has an effect. That's measurable and observable. This is guaranteed unless counteracted. Counteraction not resulting from antagonism reduces signs less specifically.

For example.. Opiates alter hormones and are estrogenic they also cause constipation, this is but a couple things. This is directly related to activated receptors and various processes in the body.

The weed you smoke also hits opiate receptors. And weed is estrogenic, huh

Altering anything in your body over time causes ..decay down regulation etc.

Cannabis speeds the heart rate immediately after ingestion. After approximately an hr it will lower to below baseline.
    It alters your veins and thus blood pressure etc and can permanently damage these veins

Like anything it must be cleared from the body as well, metabolized.
    Also affecting these organs. It gets deposited in fatty tissue having a greater affinity to these areas these are most commonly effected

Look at it like this. Activating a receptor in the brain or altering heart rate etc is only beneficial if off in the first place. In not talking about Thc killing cancer cells various properties antioxidant etc I'm talking specifically about altering your body.

Our body knows what it is doing most of the time as we get older of course things change but artificially stimulating a response in normal individuals does lead to side effects.

Some side effects are not permanent..some "non permanent" side effects can have lasting consequences
    So far mentioned.
    Its estrogenic
    It causes mild photophobia for up to a few months after you discontinued
    It alters blood sugar
    Liver enzymes
    Reproduction

There's alot
    Like any medicine.

The huge list of side effects on prescriptions... Even newer more specific medications limited to a single site ...is huge

When smoking weed you hit over a dozen areas in the brain

Stoners are morons if they think it's some sort of magical drug
    That when activating receptors we've studied, it will have a different affect

9. I was a heavy smoker at 15 yrs old, and after I graduated high school it was harder to find. Then at 48 after being clean & sober for 17 yrs, I started smoking again because of pain, ( prior to that I would take 6 ibuprofen, which would cause my acid reflux to flare up) when I was a teen, my side effects were forgetting to swallow food, forgetting how to breath, and simple tasks like that. Now, being an adult, and the huge changes that have been made in this industry, there's more then one strain. Were before I was limited to sense, (sweet high, but crippling burnouts) Columbian (good high with less burnout) and then those that only came around during dry season. Today, weed helps me in lots of areas were the pharmaceuticals don't. And I sware by the medical herb. The problem is, is in my state, prohibition is still very real. So I'm limited on what I can get to fix the problems I have. I hope that helps some

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

10. Long term effects may include a happier, more satisfying life, amiable neighbors, strokes of kindness, avid politeness, good manners, excessive extroversion, overabundance of love from dogs, taste pallette of a divine authority, super ol'factory bulb of a greyhound, more friends than you can care to remember, and possibly, just on the edge of possibilities, a greater sex life.

If this sounds uneasy and/or unpleasant to you, one can always procure lung/tongue/throat/testicular/ovarian/prostate/or skin cancer from being a habitual cigarette smoker.

Weigh out your pros and cons!

11. I'm not gonna give any link to PubMed, but it is proven that MJ reduces spermatogenesis in men

12. @JimmyJumpdrive Have you seen the movie "Super High Me"? If not I highly recommend that you watch it at least once. There's a part in it where his doctor says something along the lines of after smoking for however many years he smoked up until then, the doctor couldn't find any irreversible damage to his body.

13. Op don't listen to these people. I've been smoking cannabis for 46 years. Now I'm a fucking retard:(

• Like Like x 1
  14. Well it all depends on the person from my experience, when i was 14 i started smoking weed, happy as can be.... by the age of 18 i was a hardcore stoner, i split up with my girl at the time and that just sent me downhill, i got fat as fuck, and that lead to depression and eventually i went crazy, i went through a period of hardcore anxiety, i thought i was dieing all the time blah blah blah, real crazy shit... and i know weed had a part to play, i stopped smoking at 18 and now at 22 my life is AMAZING, i just started back up again around a week ago, but now im entirely different im jacked and enjoying life.... so story is... if your fat as fuck and have no hope in life... your gunna go crazy.... and your not gunna rely on the high for happiness, instead i use the high to INCREASE my happiness of a night time...

15. Many things because medicine is not meant to be abused. Most here don't like to admit it but there is definitely long-term effects.

16. Smoking of any kind will destroy the cillia in your trachea. They will become paralyzed and die, and after a certain point they may never regenerate. I get annoyed when people have such hard ons for marijuana legalization that they perpetuate things like "smoking marijuana isn't bad for you". You're inhaling smoke and tar. Granted, it is at a much less rate than cigarettes but it is smoke nonetheless.

However some studies have shown that smoking a joint per day for 20 years showed no correlation with increased risk of lung complications. That is great and all but what people need are more studies. That's the biggest roadblock into legalization. If you are legally prohibited from even claiming it has therapeutic effects and barred from conducting research, you can never gather the evidence needed to push for real change.

It's great what they have done in Colorado for example, but until the bar on research is lifted federally, I fear not much will change.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Yes but only marginally. Not at levels to cause any alarm, and sperm levels were still well in the normal range. (Assuming you are referring to the study conducted of Danish men)

18. Just vape or cook into edibles. It's not hard to do.. smoking wastes plant material.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Seriously.

I vape almost exclusively. Every now and then I'll take a hit off my boyfriend's 2 footer and it tastes like an ashtray ugh. Plus I hate the smell of smoked weed in my hair and clothes

• Funny Funny x 1