Long stems

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by tcpuvgz, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Hey guys,
    It's day 5 since I started germinating the seeds and the stem on one plant is 10cm and 7cm on other. I'm using HPS 250w. Temperature is 31 degrees when the light is 30cm from the tallest plant. What can I do about this? I'm waiting for my LED but it's gonna arrive in like 3 weeks. Right now I have the door open and I made a draft in my home. Temperature is about 28 degrees but I think the lights are too far.

2. Just hang the light high enough that it doesn't burn your plants and make sure you keep plenty of air circulation throughout the area where you're vegging your plants. HPS lighting is HOT and heat will kill a young plant quickly. HPS is normally used for the flowering cycle and not so much during veg. It's a different spectrum of light. But it should hold you till your LED arrives. I hope you've bought a decent quality LED and nothing cheap off Ebay or Amazon, etc. You pretty much get what you pay for in lighting with indoor growing. And the quality and strength of lighting throughout your plant's life is going to determine what kind of bud you get in the end and how much of it there is. Weak lighting produces a weak plant and very thin, arid buds. Strong lighting produces a larger plant with lots of bud sites other than only the tops because it's strong enough to penetrate the entire plant. Remember that LED's usually only shine straight down because there is no reflectivity built into their fixture like with the hps/hid lighting. You can hang the light higher to cover more sq. footage, but by doing this you will lose lumens for your plants from the light. So using them as efficiently as possible is a must if you're trying to grow/flower more than 1 or 2 plants. To get one that will support several plants, especially in flower, you're going to have one that is pretty high power and those, of any quality, are VERY expensive. The price will start to come down on them, but right now the technology and widespread use isn't enough to make that happen. Your lighting is the most important part of your grow setup. Understanding it and get the most out of it is imperative to get the most out of your plants. But learning all that goes along with this is a process and takes time. If you're just starting seeds, then concentrate on learning all you can about the plant during the veg cycle. You need to know the basic information regarding how to grow the plant. Most new growers kill their plants by simply over watering. You can't do that with these plants because they do not like their roots constantly sitting in moist conditions. Go to the beginner grower threads here and read the several sticky's posted there. These contain the very basic "how to keep the plant alive" information that you really need to know before you get in too deep. Good luck! TWW

3. It's my second grow with same equimpent, but last time I started in March so temps were lower. I bought a Mars 2 400w LED that has a switch for veg and flower. My tent is 2.7x2.7 and I don't plan on having more than 4 plants at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. U shud b alrite with hps.i use mine(1000hps dimmable) throughout grow,like widow said u have to b able 2 control beat tho.hopefully led will suit u better.since they stretchd that bad u mus b too far.i start at 28-24" first couple wks n lower it to 18" slowly.i have an ac tho so not so bad.good luck