Long stem, slow growth, no fan leaves?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Cannacool, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Bought some fem seeds from msnl. G13 haze and Mango. I started seeds in water, moved to paper towel, then too soil. They are in a little humid dome, on a heat mat, with a little t5 above them. 4xxx some lumens I think. Also sitting near patio door where they get direct sunlight 4 or 5 hours a day. The sprouted quick and appeared to grow fast. It's been about a week now. The stems are 3" tall before the first set round leaves. Just seems like its stretching for light or something. One hasn't grown any fan leaves it just grew 2" tall and stopped. Still green and healthy looking thought. I'm not sure how to upload pictures but once I figure the site out a bit more I will add pics. Thanks in advance for any input!!

Attached Files:

2. First I'd take off the dome. If it's stretching it's not getting intense enough light for some reason, I don't know if the dome is at fault but the dome promotes fungal growth so chuck it. When it gets enough light the stretch will stop. Do you really need the heat mat? I'd lose that, too. They encourage seeds to sprout but I don't know about using them with seedlings, you probably have read more about those than I have.

3. I have lost the dome since I noticed the stretching. But my one g13 haze hasn't grown any fan leaves yet. Still only the two little round leaves and half the size of the other. I'm using an organic potting soil. I just never heard of a plant sprouting then just stopping all growth and still stay alive.

4. Waste of time if you don't post a pic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. #5 Cannacool, Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Updated with pics! :)

6. Does anyone know what happened to my one seedling? Stretching has stop they are starting to grow proper now.

7. If those were mine I'd transplant them and add a little soil. As tall as they are they are likely to fall over as the top gets heavier, especially if they are not directly underneath the light. Perhaps the short one came up later than the rest which would account for it's shorter stem and lack of leaves.

• Like Like x 1
  8. To much heat when they are seedlings and they will start to stretch, I had this issue. Now I only use the heat mat for the first 24-48h or until they have broken the surface.

I learned the above from growing vegetables from seed and it should be the same for cannabis.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thank you Ed, and c0rn. Have since transplanted, and lost the heat mat. Plants are looking a lot better. I couldnt believe how fast the roots filled up the container. Still looking like my one seedling wont make it. I transplanted it to just for shits and giggles.

• Like Like x 1
  10. All good my friend, nice to hear that things are looking better :)

• Like Like x 1